Cheap digger sources

dpmiller

I agree with all the above, I am well known for NOT being P.C. Or H&S conscious, my kids used to play on our scaffolding when I built an extension ( single story) and I got in trouble as a scout leader for “ not abiding by H&S rules”( so I left). To this day my kids ( now young adults) regale stories about great fun with their Dad doing what other kids could not do. It’s all about managing risk, not writing a legal risk assessment document but judging the situation as it occurs. My 7 year old granddaughter loves nothing more than sitting on my lap in my JCB driving and digging ( a few years yet till she has a go herself?) It’s a shame that kids nowadays don’t seem to have the fun that we did.

old man rant over?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Our school has just issued all pupils with a yellow high viz vest. They have to wear it waiting for, travelling on, and getting off the school bus....

Or as one of my my labourers used to say "one 'o them HIV vests".

Getting back to diggers,

I’ve just been through the same scenario and decided I didn’t want a cheap digger,

anything I looked at under £5000 was a pile of crap, so I came to the conclusion that if I was going to sell it after our build was finished then why not spend more on a decent one as the return will be just as good when I come to sell it, 

just like the vat reclaiming after your build, you lay it out now and get most of it back. 

My choice was a £10000 kubota which at the end of the project will be a nice chunk of cash back 

i think something to ask yourself is how good are you on the spanner’s as a cheap digger will at some point need a bit of tlc. 

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

My choice was a £10000 kubota which at the end of the project will be a nice chunk of cash back 

I think this is a really wise decision, up on the west coast of Scotland diggers  hold there price for years and you would not struggle to get your money back assuming you did not over pay for it in the beginning! I really need a digger for a huge amount of landscaping but dont have the funds to buy a good one and as i need it for such a long time hiring is not sensible. I am however handy with the tools and have been maintaining machines of one sort or another most of my life so will hopefully get hold of one that needs some TLC but is affordable to me. Happy days with your digger ! 

• 4 months later...

Well for better or worse I've dealt on a 3t Takeuchi. Having trouble now getting it shifted as a. it's the silly season and b. machine +buckets+spare track+ trailer is a bit heavy even for a Disco or such.

Need to get it from Aghalee to Ards, any contacts?

31 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Well for better or worse

I am sure it will be a marriage made in heaven! Did you buy unseen? A real internet bride ! I’m just envious of all you digger owners :) am still looking for a 1.5 Ton but they are like rocking horse shit up here on the west coast and fetch silly money. I am hoping to secure about £6500 for one in the not to distant future but will need a no VAT deal and a lot of luck ! 

No, not unseen. I've had a good look round it and everything seems to work and it's dry etc. No doubt groundworks Paul will proclaim it a total donkey when he sees it but I'm sure it'll do just fine.

I used one of those on line transport delivery apps, Anyvan or something similar, you describe what it is you want delivering and people quote delivery. I got a guy delivering a car to,pick my 3tonne machine as a back haul. Only problem was I had to load it for him, then drive home to off load it.

Edited by Triassic

I just phoned all the haulage firms for a quote. They need to know the weight of the machine and where it's going from and to and should give you a price.  Mine was £264 to move a 3t machine 70 miles and it was delivered on an 11t beaver tail truck.  When I sold it, the buyer arranged haulage and it was collected on a similar size lorry.

I did try the car transporter businesses but they would not touch it.

Have you asked baloo hire if they would be interested. You must have an account there already so the worst they can say is no.

Or what about a car breakdown/ recovery firm. They will have a lorry with a ramp and that can easily take the weight.

• 11 months later...
On 10/07/2018 at 07:01, Cpd said:

I am sure it will be a marriage made in heaven! Did you buy unseen? A real internet bride ! I’m just envious of all you digger owners :) am still looking for a 1.5 Ton but they are like rocking horse shit up here on the west coast and fetch silly money. I am hoping to secure about £6500 for one in the not to distant future but will need a no VAT deal and a lot of luck ! 

If you fancy a trip over the Irish Sea to County Down, i have the very machine for you within your price bracket!

3 hours ago, philmx26 said:

If you fancy a trip over the Irish Sea to County Down, i have the very machine for you within your price bracket!

Tempting..... but it would still be a very expensive trip with my Land Rover and trailer !  Just about to start digging 200m of ditch by hand for my water pipe...........ffs !  It’s a strange old world, 8 years ago I could of happily purchased a brand new machine and now I have my old rusty spade..... I’m happy so that’s the main thing, well that’s what I am going to be telling myself when I’m knee deep in the bog trying to force a water pipe down while being eaten alive by midges and sucked to death by leaches !

19 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

How fit are you??

for £150 I would be running of to the hire shop for a digger for the day. 

I'm all for a bit of hard work, but I  completely agree ;)