Tiling...many questions

Onoff

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I always worry about white going grey in places and looking dirty and patchy , at least grey all over is less likely to show a little “dirt”. As the tiles look grey how about charcoal so the grout lines stand out?

Yep ! Not white 

eventually white will become grey ?

Nooooo not charcoal grout please!  

I have pale silver grey in the bathrooms (walls and floor) and a beige on the main floor and the same on the outside tiling.  My grout is waterproof and comes with a promise it will not discolour or stain.  Given what its been through the last 6 months on a building site it is astonishing that it is as a clean and bright as the day it went down so their promise is holding so far..

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Nooooo not charcoal grout please!  

I have pale silver grey in the bathrooms (walls and floor) and a beige on the main floor and the same on the outside tiling.  My grout is waterproof and comes with a promise it will not discolour or stain.  Given what its been through the last 6 months on a building site it is astonishing that it is as a clean and bright as the day it went down so their promise is holding so far..

What is the grout & make please?

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What is the grout & make please?

Porcelanosa...see photo of bag.

My tiles in pics....middel pic living room beige grout  down since last November 2nd fix still going on when they were laid, full complement of builders spilt tea etc all over the place, .first pic is my wetroom shower floor silver grey grout laid in Feb and in daily use for 3 months.....last one is of the tiles outside my front door exposed to all the elements been down 3 months. Beige grout same as living room.

8E7E5DCD-1492-4D14-850B-A9092813B605.jpeg

BF8055D3-84BF-4A22-9073-3D7575250308.jpeg

D910E4B1-CCD0-4A34-B35D-41CFBDDB6567.jpeg

57296485-45FC-4E4E-A8BD-EBCCED515011.jpeg

Edited by lizzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SWMBO reckons it "needs to be white...or a very dark colour". 

I'm thinking darker won't show the dirt so much (though madam is a toothbrush / bleach fiend). Might also take the eye of of any of the brown ceramic tile base showing through on the cut edges, not that that's a real problem. I think once I've diamond filed the edges it'll be more of a white chamfer you'll see.

Tiling will have to hold off for the mo whilst I await MORE tanking gear! I'll discuss on my tanking thread.

Is this stuff any good as a primer? Guessing not. 30L being thrown out though one 15L might be blown.

Where would you use it?

Ball_Styccobond_F3__49426.1530879801_368_368.jpg.5ad25974e21e72509924ea833f3fc4d7.jpg

It's not that tacky stuff for carpet tiles is it?

Why are you asking about priming with something that doesn't say primer on the tub :S 

Sensible questions from now on please ! :-/

No need to worry about expansion joints / grout lines at the floor / wall junction. The tanking strip will take care of that for you ;) Just run a bead of CT1 around to fill any major gaps before tanking and applying the strip. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

It's not that tacky stuff for carpet tiles is it?

Do away with the tiles and use rubber backed carpet. Shag pile. Could be multi use ? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why are you asking about priming with something that doesn't say primer on the tub :S 

Sensible questions from now on please ! :-/

No need to worry about expansion joints / grout lines at the floor / wall junction. The tanking strip will take care of that for you ;) Just run a bead of CT1 around to fill any major gaps before tanking and applying the strip. 

CT1 FIRST? 

I thought it went primer/strip/tanking/tiles/grout 

THEN a bead of CT1 where the wall tiles meet the floor tiles...

?

Is there a way to incorporate the blue Geberit wall drain membrane into the tanking system as I do that?

Could I say prime the Aqua Panel and concrete floor then stick the blue Geberit membrane to the floor and wall with the first coat of tanking membrane whilst still wet?

20180614_181948

20180614_182203

20180614_182331

The Geberit video appears to show a smear of what we assume is tile adhesive on the concrete then the membrane is pushed into that. A further smear goes over that.

If I do it that way do I THEN apply the tanking primer over that?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Tile adhesive should be after everything is fully tanked. 

Bed the blue flaps into more tanking. 

Is tanking membrane "sticky" to enable this?

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Is tanking membrane "sticky" to enable this?

Put it on and give it 5 mins to go tacky. Use a dry 4" roller to 'squeegee' the excess tanking out or it'll take ages to dry. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
Tanking isn't spelt with a facking b. Poxy phone.
  • Like 1