Tiling...many questions

Onoff

22 hours ago, Temp said:

You don't necessarily need a motorized cutter for wall tiles but maybe for thicker floor tiles. Iv done a bathroom just using a hand score and snap type cutter. Much less mess. I have a water lubricated cutter now and it has to be used outdoors and you get  soaked.

I had one of these https://www.tooled-up.com/vitrex-versatile-power-pro-900-wet-bridge-radial-tile-saw/prod/184706/ 

I never got wet but I did use it outdoors for the roof tiles, floor tiles and paving slabs.

Hopefully won't have to do those jobs again so gave it away a few months ago.

33 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Remind me what size tiles you're cutting ?

Floor tiles are 330mm sq. 8mm thick, ceramic:

2018-06-27_10-50-51

And this is the first lot to cut:

2018-03-16_06-43-02

A bit worried about how the super pointy, "scalene" esque ones will come out!

Edited by Onoff

@Nickfromwales, Vitrex or Rubi for a tile cutter? Was looking at this Rubi Practic 60 but very mixed reviews. Some say it cuts a treat, others that the bars bend and it cuts off. I did think of hiring a top flight one but the time I take etc it'd be better to buy! About 400mm cut would do.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rubi-practic-60-manual-tile-cutter-610mm/8115K?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

@Nickfromwales, Vitrex or Rubi for a tile cutter? Was looking at this Rubi Practic 60 but very mixed reviews. Some say it cuts a treat, others that the bars bend and it cuts off. I did think of hiring a top flight one but the time I take etc it'd be better to buy! About 400mm cut would do.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rubi-practic-60-manual-tile-cutter-610mm/8115K?

Thats a plenty good enough cutter. Anyone bending the rails is pushing down way too hard whilst scribing the tile. 

Go for it. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, joe90 said:

I bought one of these and it’s great, best tile cutter I have ever used, screwfix matched an online price as well so got it a bit cheaper.

Does that mean Screwfix have a price match policy? That is interesting.

Do you happen to have a link?

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Does that mean Screwfix have a price match policy? That is interesting.

Do you happen to have a link?

Yep - any store ... even easier if you have a Plumbfix / Electfix account too ...

Found the wording :

We work hard with our suppliers not only to get the highest quality products but also to get the lowest possible prices. At times, other companies may offer a similar product at a lower price, perhaps as part of a special promotion. 

Unfortunately at this time, we are unable to offer price matching through the mail order side of our business and I apologise for any disappointment this may cause. However, our Trade Counters are now able to price match at store level providing certain criteria is met and the terms and conditions are as follows:

• Just let the Trade Counter know within 14 days of your order
  • Applies to all competitors within a 10 mile radius
  • The item must be packaged, sold as new and in stock at the competitors
  • The price must be available to all customers
  • Please provide us with some proof (invoice, catalogue, advert) ...alternatively we do have to obtain verbal confirmation from the competitor
  • Excludes Internet or mail order prices
  • Excludes competitor clearance events

According to some it can be a bit hit and miss ....

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep - any store ... even easier if you have a Plumbfix / Electfix account too ...

Perhaps it is worth me getting that Screwfix Trade account now.

more info here:

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/screwfix-price-match-the-good-and-bad-well-more-mad.185180/

Thread also mentions an allegedly good supplier called Isaac Lord, which sounds like something out of George Eliot. In Hogh Wycombe.

https://www.isaaclord.co.uk/

F

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Hang on ! I thought @Onoff was doing my bathroom also ??? ?

Yeah right!

Whilst out picking up the tile cutter SWMBO rang to inform me the clutch on her Peugeot has gone! So I've had to come home via the motor factors! :(

• Like 1

Just now, Onoff said:

Yeah right!

Whilst out picking up the tile cutter SWMBO rang to inform me the clutch on her Peugeot has gone! So I've had to come home via the motor factors! :(

It never rains .....

14 hours ago, joe90 said:

I bought one of these and it’s great, best tile cutter I have ever used, screwfix matched an online price as well so got it a bit cheaper.

Out of interest did it come with instructions in the box?  I just got the last one at Screweys in Gravesend and tbh the box looked as though it had been opened. I mentioned it and the girl said it was where they had stuck the collection label on with  masking tape.

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

Different models aren’t they? @joe90 went for the Rubi Star one by the looks of things. Screwfix sells them both. 

I linked the Practic 60 and @joe90 said it was the one he got. Looking at his picture though his is a different model. Saying that mine says 61 on the box not 60.