Tiling...many questions

Onoff

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I’ll come and give you a hand. We’ll bang that out in 2 weeks. ??

Does that include the new roof? :)

It'll be another "gut it"  job right back to the studs/joists. Get rid of the Artex ceilings, 9.5mm pb walls, hit & miss roll insulation and standard 18mm chipboard flooring. Geberit wall mount frame already got plus no learning curve on that at least! Going to have a nice tray too and make the shower bigger.

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Does that include the new roof? :)

It'll be another "gut it"  job right back to the studs/joists. Get rid of the Artex ceilings, 9.5mm pb walls, hit & miss roll insulation and standard 18mm chipboard flooring. Geberit wall mount frame already got plus no learning curve on that at least! Going to have a nice tray too and make the shower bigger.

Hang on ! @Nickfromwales is on my job next - said he fancied a challenge ?

Clear CT1 used to stick this trim on this time. FAR easier and forgiving for a novice like me than mitre bond! I'm ripping all the ones I did with that off and redoing!

Apply a bead:

20181025_194636

It all squidges out as you press to fit and get the best line aka disguise your slightly wobbly edge. Seems to achieve just the right tackiness to let you position it and it stay there:

20181025_194737

Clean up with copious amounts of the cheapest baby wipes:

20181025_195344

Edited by Onoff

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

Clean up with copious amounts of the cheapest baby wipes:

When doing jobs like that I always put masking tape along the tile edge and then when it squidges out it's easier to peel off and it means using less wipes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, newhome said:

? I thought you were supposed to be putting them back on? ??‍♀️

They'll stay on when I'm happy with them. Until then I'm just practising!

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Was in SA HQ yesterday. If my flight was an hour later I was going to get a taxi to yours and vent that poxy ST array. Lol. 

2 hours later you could have finished the tiling for me as well as sort her ST! :)

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

They'll stay on when I'm happy with them. Until then I'm just practising!

2 hours later you could have finished the tiling for me as well as sort her ST! :)

Well I guess your name is @Onoff and never so apt as it is now ... ;)

If I had known @Nickfromwales was just up the road I would have bribed him with Mcewans :) ?

18 minutes ago, newhome said:

Well I guess your name is @Onoff and never so apt as it is now ... ;)

If I had known @Nickfromwales was just up the road I would have bribed him with Mcewans :) ?

"Some say he can hear a ring pull being popped from inside a short haul jet, we just call him the Welsh Wizard!"

ww.JPG.613cb7a743397da645e7f17397ec7d41.JPG

It was bugging me where I went wrong to end up with pissy little rips up by the ceiling. After all the model I made showed reasonable width cut tiles top and bottom. The culprit I thought was the shower mixer positioning. The model had it on a grout line but I put it in the middle of a tile. But no, that wasn't the issue. Decent tile size at the floor and 4 full tiles up to the pocket.

IMG_20181026_123548877.thumb.jpg.405bc74c33655e9f020cb6736f98cb73.jpg

So then I'm thinking some form of accumulative error. Not that either...

IMG_20181026_123528773.thumb.jpg.5e2501967449f88c28c3538da3c449bb.jpg

The culprit...ME! The floor to ceiling height is nom 2470mm. I made the model 2570mm!

140mm tiles at the top would have looked better than 40mm!

:ph34r:

Tbh with slight tweaking I could have had a slightly higher pocket, near full tile at the ceiling and near full tile at the base. Also no rip along the window sill. Never mind.

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

Oh, and I re trimmed the pocket over the wc with new trim affixed with clear CT1. Much neater/happier than my attempt with mitre bond. A little strip of duct tape just to hold in the perfect position! 

@Nickfromwales, A question...when I do the window sill tiling:

2018-10-25_10-24-47

SWMBO doesn't want to feel the edge of the tile trim ideally (when SHE cleans :ph34r: ), she wants it flush with the tile.

Should I then set the tiles flush but leave a nominal credit card size gap and fill with colour matched silicon?

Cheers

Depends how straight the tiles are. If like most ceramic they have a slight cup to them then you may well be better off doing the gap and siliconing.

Put some packers down to rest the tiles on and pick the best tiles out of the bunch and see what the results are like. 

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO doesn't want to feel the edge of the tile trim ideally (when SHE cleans :ph34r: ), she wants it flush with the tile.

PS, so does everyone else ;) 

• Thanks 1

Removing the 1mm (yellow) packs and the tips of a few are in there tight and stick fast though snapped off flush. No way are they coming out. Presume OK to just grout and (colour matched) mastic bead over?

2018-10-29_07-28-56

1 hour ago, bassanclan said:

Yes of course.

Personally I would still just ct1 (no grout) my thinking being if there is any movement it might be in the junction between wall and floor but everyone has their own way of doing things 

CT1 then colour matched silicon over that that can be redone as and when?

• Confused 1

Two pockets re-trimmed. Split the difference at the 4 corners where necessary. Tile faces are either flush to the trim or slightly low. Concentrated on getting the trim corners tidy to each other. Far better than the first attempt! 

2018-10-29_11-25-00

Those missing mosaics in the pockets can go in anytime now the soffit of the pocket has been redone in 6mm rather than the original 12mm Aqua Panel and all re-tanked.

Edited by Onoff