Tiling...many questions

Onoff

What's the thought here, where in getting the excess adhesive off I've "scabbled" the Aqua Panel underneath making the surface a bit crumbly? Thinking vac it then a smear of tile adhesive before retanking:

20181015_133847

20181015_133858

Ta. 

Marking this bottom row of tiles!

I'm presuming I need to place a 3mm tile spacer under the tiles that are there already and then put the top of the laser line to the underside of the spacer? Pencil mark that point each end and cut to that?

20181015_181609

20181015_193132

Yes as long as you turn it right way round before marking as currently it will slope th wrong way .......

edited to add.... I have just seen what you’re planning and quicker way is stand a right side tile on top and use the next joint up as your guide. 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes as long as you turn it right way round before marking as currently it will slope th wrong way .......

edited to add.... I have just seen what you’re planning and quicker way is stand a right side tile on top and use the next joint up as your guide. 

Ta. Just processing that...

Ok @Onoff I’ve worked out what you’re trying to do now ..!

Ditch the laser ..! It’s confusing things ..!!

Tile on spacers, lined up below. Take a tile spacer and wrap onto the back of the bottom tile and mark underneath and join the dots each side. 

Cut the tile, flip and fit ... 

Been a bit slow this week! :)

Having cut all the bottom tiles I WAS going to make good the damaged Aqua Panel patches then re tank the bottom strip tomorrow night. Holes for pipes cut and for wall drain:

22mm hole for a 15mm pipe?

20181022_204207

No, it won't annoy me not being symmetrical! 

20181022_204121

One interesting oddity; the tanked area around the wall drain. Now at the moment the wall drain trap is dry. The stub pipe sticking through the wall is capped off with a loose fit aerosol lid. There is then a bit of a cold draught coming through. 

The wall, where cold draught meets the edge of the ranked insulated wall is WET with a bit of condensation. Can't see an issue tbh but interesting (to me anyway).

20181022_202727

However.....I couldn't live with a really low mosaic so out came the chisel. I drilled some holes with the arrow head drill to give the chisel a start:

20181022_202658

That's the new tile to go in once I've got rid of the adhesive!

The worry is will I decide other tiles need replacing?

Edited by Onoff

19 minutes ago, CC45 said:

crikey - leave them on don't take them off.  when the body drier starts that cold draft will be reversed......

I am NOT taking any more off! No way, no how, never! It is a proper mission and the Aqua Panel behind doesn't like it. Chipped the tile to the left too :(I will live with my mistakes. Let them a be a lesson for others etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newhome said:

Why did you take it off? You’ll wreck it if you keep ripping bits off the panelling. 

It was nearly 5mm low, bottom right corner. Had to come off. Showed up like a sore thumb when I put the bottom infill tile to the floor. 

Talking of sore thumbs, ceramic tile / glaze splinters are a joy! You can hear the needle against them as you dig them out! :(

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

Just now, bassanclan said:

You'll want around 3mm, but also you'll  want it fairly even.

Multitool should get it off, just take it easy

Hardest stuff ever this. The chisel blade on the multitool hardly touched it. 

Repair patches. Thinly smeared! :ph34r: Will re tank later. 

20181023_232431

I deliberately left the hole in the mrpb over size so I could wriggle the pipe around:

20181024_051302

I have no idea then as to whether when the tile is fitted, the pipe is central to the hole in the mrpb.

20181022_204207

I was going to cut some small rings of pb to go over the pipe and block the hole up a bit. Can't see it being concentric though. Thinking anyway to stick the two half tiles over the pipe on with "blobs" of something like EBT so if the elbow joints in there ever leak I can "easily" break out the one tile and a small, localised area of pb. It'll be a darn sight easier than removing acres of tile adhesive!

So rather than a ring of pb to block the hole maybe a ring of EBT AROUND the hole and squash the tile onto it?

To anyone planning their bathroom:

Check, double check and check again your tiling layout.

Cutting pi$$y little <40mm rips is time consuming. I had a plan (even made a model) but deviated from it with the pockets and mixer positions. I didn't see the knock on of this.

The fitting too, up against the ceiling, will be awkward and it's another grout line to get dirty!

2018-10-24_05-38-04

Still, all good experience for when I do the en suite!