Tiling...many questions

Onoff

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Why not, more absorbent?

Yup. A LOT more. Porcelain is average 0.05% porosity, so basically waterproof. Add tanking into the mix and you can have some really extended set times :/  

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Out of interest can you extend the set time of rapid set tile adhesive with cream of tartar?

If you put any Mayonnaise like substance in there I'll flip. Just carry on as you are its fine without any admixes :S 

• Like 1

I'm getting there I think.

Looked this morning at the bit I did last night and happy enough. Interesting how a tap on the setting tiles last night rang a little "hollow" but this morning they seem rock solid. Like the adhesive has sucked them down or something?

One bit tonight then out the door Weds night hopefully.

GROUT

Grouting Thursday night so what do I need?

I have buckets & sponges. Think I've a grout float in the shed though God knows where it came from or how old it is. Must have been from my last foray 30 years ago! I've been looking at it for years trying to figure what it is, photo later.

Any tools, rubber spreaders etc that'll make this easier? I have time to get anything.

Mop head. Came across an abandoned, dusty, traditional mop head. If I can sneak it through the washing machine I wonder if it'll be of any use?

WALLS

Probably popping to the tile place later this afternoon. Figuring to get another primer and a couple or 4 bags of adhesive and maybe one grout. 

The Laticrete 335 is seemingly OK for the walls. Not sure if I trust their data sheets tbh, coverage seems more like half that stated. Maybe it's if you don't back butter is the figures they're giving? Whereas previous stuff I read termed a large format tile as >300x300 I came across this on their site:

"Back butter large tile >200 mm x 200 mm to provide full bedding and firm support if 
required
".

My wall tiles are 400x250 and will be laid horizontally. 

The 335 has a 30 minute open time.

Loads of questions keep popping into my head!

I presume to start "one tile up" or maybe even just under the pockets to ensure they look spot on then cut the bottom tile against the floor...

Got a 6mm and 10mm trowel, which is better?

How many rows can I lay without it slipping?

Drilling big holes in them...for pan inlet/outlet...

Sorry Nick, it ain't over yet! :)

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I presume to start "one tile up" or maybe even just under the pockets to ensure they look spot on then cut the bottom tile against the floor...

The only way you'd be able to do that would be if you made stilts to support the second row of tiles as you cant fit a batten with screws unless you screw through the tanking. Also, you may well find that the batten sticks to the tanking and when you remove the battens you'll take a section of tanking with it.

As its you were talking about, lets devise a completely long-winded, new, and ingenious method.................. :S

For the wet area and pocket shelves I take it youve worked the pocket cuts so the wall tile is a factory edge against the bottom tile trim leading onto the 3o sloped shelf? Cant grumble, a man after my own heart.

So, you cant ( dont want to ) screw through the tanking to fix a batten.

How about laying 3 tiles on the floor with the spacers in to get your measurement from the the top factory edge to the bottom factory edge ( or whatever number of tiles gets you to the first grout line etc ), then transfer that to the wall and add 2mm height for the flag of the tile trim, ( go balls out and add 3mm if I were you, as you can just add a bit more adhesive to the 3o tile whereas you cant take it off ).

Then get a piece of plasterboard 300mm x ( X ) mm and lay it lengthways on the floor, starting at the 45o wall and running back towards the WC. Get a block and mark the scribe for the fall into the tray. Get that spot on ( like you need telling ) and then, once happy, fire up the laser set at distance X derived from laying the tiles and spacers out. 

Cut the PB 3mm shy of what you want so if youve accidentally overshot you dont have to pull it all down and re-cut the PB. If you have a deficit in height then its easy you just pack spacers out with stiff cardboard ( cardboard form an empty screw box cut into 1" strips does great, but you could get NASA to laser cut you those out of Unobtanium if you wish ).

Once happy that the PB is "in the zone" you then wedge that against the wall ( batten and some deadman studs off the opposite wall? Dont forget to cover the ends with a plastic bag so they dont take to the tanking ), and then you can start tiling up off the PB. STICK TO THE SLOW SET ADHESIVE AS THESE WILL NEED TWEAKING.

Use 3 spacers per tile so there is no risk of the weight of the ascending courses pushing the spacers into the PB. Tile 4 tiles wide and go up to meet the pocket shelf. As you complete each horizontal course lay a 1200mm level across to see what needs tweaking to horizontal. It won't be perfect because your off a scribed PB so you really do need to check each course and adjust as your going. VERY IMPORTANT TO GET THE FIRST COURSE OFF THE PB PERFECT !

Once at the shelf reveal, chuck the CliveMaster2000 3o benchsetter against the tile and check with an off cut that you have sufficient clearance ( your tiles are high enough ) and repeat. 

• Thanks 1

Apologies to @Onoff for a bit of a highjack....

I have now reached a point that I need to get tiling (nothing to do with the fact that @Onoff has started), tiles are chosen but like @Onoff I don't want to use rapid set adhesive cos I'm not a pro tiler, so I've found these:

https://www.ctdtrade.co.uk/ardex-x-77-w-microtec-flexible-wall-floor-tile-adhesive

or

https://www.ctdtrade.co.uk/ardex-x-7-standard-setting-flexible-tile-adhesive

First is £18/20kg and the second is £12/20kg so neither is bank breaking really.

Has anyone used either of these?

Floor tiles are from ctd so it would be good to get it all in one hit.

thanks.

24 minutes ago, CC45 said:

@Onoff what size spacers have you used?  we've got 700mm x 100mm tiles & I'm wondering about 3mm spacers - your tiles look bigger.  6mm trowel?

330x330mm tiles. 3mm spacers, 6mm trowel, this one:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rubi-open-handle-6mm-notched-steel-trowel/6228F?

I also have the 10mm version of the trowel.

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

My thinking is . If @Onoff buys these now I can buy them off him later at 80% discount . Sure I can find some other tools you need that I want ?

Bit of Unistrut, some studding....I have an idea! :)

(I'm not kidding either!)

Edited by Onoff

@CC45 try Palace Chemicals Ltd in Liverpool for this, the stuff I have. 

IMG_20180802_184035494.jpg

EDIT: Think I'd just get that £12 one you linked, flexible, good for UFH, long pot time. Ardex is a good brand I think.

Just looked at the £18 one and it's non slip. Presumably less worries about it sliding down the wall.

Edited by Onoff

57 minutes ago, Onoff said:

EDIT: Think I'd just get that £12 one you linked, flexible, good for UFH, long pot time. Ardex is a good brand I think.

Just looked at the £18 one and it's non slip. Presumably less worries about it sliding down the wall.

I have more or less settled on the £12 for the floor & will use the £18 for the first row on the walls.

CTD are part of Jewson - I suspect there's outlets in virtually every Jewson store, so rel easy to pick up.

Not sure about the brand - not heard of it before - I suspect @Nickfromwales or @nod will be familiar or otherwise with it.  Just waiting for them!

I wasn't intending to prime again...... 

Edited by CC45
primer comment

5 hours ago, pocster said:

Another tool to purchase - yes !! ???

Another £100 down the tubes. ?

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

Bit of Unistrut, some studding....I have an idea! :)

(I'm not kidding either!)

Give me strength. 

Use the laser you've already bought !

• Haha 1