Tiling...many questions

Onoff

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

You seriously asking us how long you'll take to tile the bathroom ? 

You still on the cobra ? :S 

As in from there word "go", tiles ready to go down, labrador at the ready. 6mm notched trowel, 10mm notched trowel on hand, tile cutter and saw ready just in case. Buckets sitting there clean.

I think @PeterW said mix up half a bucket at a time but this is extended set Laticrete 335 stuff.

Mustn't forget to prime the floor first!

According to the bag it's:

- 5L of water into the plastering bucket and add a 20kg bag. 

- Mix and wait 5-10 mins. Mix with a drill paddle OK?

- Lay a sq.metre at a time. 45deg trowel angle.

So if I lay a bed down at 6mm thick on the floor do I "butter" the back of the tile in any way?

Bucket and sponge at the ready to clean as I go. 

To do by the basin I'll have to work from inside the bath I think. 

I've never been any good at Twister btw! :)

Only issue I can forsee is if the bottom wall to floor tanking strip thickness pushes things over by a few mm, I might have to cut the very far ones if tight but these are already cut.

- Wait 24hrs and grout. More questions before I do that of course! One now, do I need to get a traditional mop for cleaning?

Just interested in how long it should take. Adhesive isn't really something I can put on and come back to 6 months later!

YouTube here I come!

Literally 30 years since I've tiled anything (other than the odd carefully cut out & refix few on kitchen wiring jobs).

Any tips appreciated!

Ta.

Don’t they say 30 m2 a day for a professional? TBH by the time you waste time trying to work out how long it’ll take you could have laid them. With everything cut it can’t take longer than a couple of hours surely if you’ve got @Onoff‘s little helper at the ready? Double that for contingency and 4 hours tops!

I tiled a complete bathroom in 1989 on my own when I could actually do a few DIY jobs. Then hubby came along and I never did much DIY after that, and anyway we had someone in to do the tiling here. 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

TBH by the time you waste time trying to work out how long it’ll take you could have laid them

Its a how long is a piece of string question, SO STOP ASKING AND START CHUFFING TILING ! ;) 

OK, no more talk about climbing in and out of baths! You lay the shower area, get it all straight and true with a straight edge, then leave to cure, so your ready to then move to phase 2.

Phase 2 is the main floor, from the wet area back to the wc jutty out wall. Then stop and leave to set so you can walk on it. Then you mix some more and lay the ones under the sink and the remainder of the main floor out to the door. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THAT.

With standard set you never have an fixed ( cured ) area ( of tiles ) that you can 'push back' against. so you cannot keep the spacers tight, and it all goes off squiff. Do the wet area first, concentrate SOLELY on that and leave to dry. Trying to lay the whole floor and wet area in one go is too much work, and on standard set I wouldn't even try it myself. Just making an easy job stressful imo. 

"Chill Winston"

Edited by Nickfromwales
clarity
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO can't see why I can't do shower area first THEN under the sink...

Her comment was "His way it'll take you 3 days instead of 2!"

?

FFS. You've GOT to be shitting me! 

On your timescale thats future time travel. 

As we say around here "honest to god". 9_9

Cast your mind back to the kind words of one of our forefathers.......

34 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THAT.

Thats not open to negotiation. Crack the fcuk on, stick to the plan, and nobody gets hurt ;)  

Type here next with a pic of the wet area tiled. Dont make me come down there......?

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Alwyas butter when it's a floor, even more so if it's heated. Even MORE so if it's wetroom. 

Too late! Didn't butter, wishing I had! :(

It is what it is:

6mm on the floor only and they pushed down OK. Lucky the floor is pretty level. Tbh I think I could have done with the "butter" as well  

Trying to clean them up now. Grief where it's oozed out of the joins. Htf do I get the excess out? At the mo resorting to running a spacer along the joint to drag out most of the excess then wiping with a cloth!

IMG_20180805_202708835.thumb.jpg.1e583d35f67742da781de691010d58fc.jpg

No way on Earth I could have handled rapid set.

IMG_20180805_192129745.jpg

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Wet sponge and a bucket of water to wash the joints clean. It should come off easy. 

Spot on with the spacers. 

And Capt BigBalls wanted to tile it all in one go ;)

:D 

Tell me about it, I think I officially prefer plastering to this. Hats off to you doing this every day!

Maybe starting on the wet room corner wasn't the best re-introduction after 30 years!

Although I wouldn't have managed rapid set I was surprised how "live" the tiles remained with the extended set as in move one and its neighbour's neighbour shifts...as you said!

It's level where it should be, the fall lines don't rock with the level on them and they fall to the drain: 

IMG_20180805_211001920.thumb.jpg.1836550e35230301bb9e2e32a25c9601.jpg

One fall:

IMG_20180805_211031393.thumb.jpg.1dfb8caa9cb82a6f2a0a163e0a6aeccf.jpg

The other:

IMG_20180805_211050311.thumb.jpg.5843b0483dd5cd742351c4d1081311c1.jpg

And straight down the middle:

IMG_20180805_211111415.thumb.jpg.b84be29f1cd3a1586f8f95abb1dbd60e.jpg

Not 100% happy with a couple of joints but I'll have to live with them. Main worry is whether I'll have any sharp bits underfoot at the 6 point "confluence"... :ph34r:

Knackered just doing that. Thought it was going to go pear shaped.

12 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Yup. Just allows to to scrub all the grout out that you just spent ages putting in :( 

I once spoke to a wise old tiler, a bit like Mr Miyagi off the filum "Katate Kid". 

His wise words, spoken softly. His warm breath on my neck.....hang on, that's the wife after 50 shades ?

"Let the grout go off a bit, then hand sponge it with a reasonably damp sponge, going at 45 degrees to the grout lines and NOT with them. 

Then once you've done a m2 you LIGHTLY run the damp CLEAN sponge with the lines to take out the grain. 

After that you retire for Saki,  and 30 minutes later you get a soaking wet janitors mop and clean everything whilst mopping at 45 degrees to the grout lines. Finish the edges with the sponge and smirk to yourself as you'll have finished an hour before the mere mortals with no mop". 

He was right, and that's how I've grouted ever since. 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Just empty the white into the bin, then buy grey and put into a white bag...

White will look duff in those tiles..

Yeah...remember when I went to similar trouble with the the "Dulux Diamond Satin" and she said "I don't mind matt!"