Tiling...many questions

Onoff

20 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Are you not looking at this to critically 

it looks like there is a sink in that corner, if so you will only see the top 300mm of that corner. 

Doesn't matter, I'll KNOW! :)

It'll actually be the 14mm tool:

20190224_090314

Tbh I cut the trim too short which would have help. The vertical to horizontal transition, below, is fairly critical as it'll be seen. 

20190224_090304

Was half wondering whether to fill it flush with grout first  THEN silicone as there'll be as better "bed" to work off of.

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, bassanclan said:

I imagine that you would be better off raking it out and then regrouting if it's a long way off. If its only 1-2mm then silicone away

It's a good 5mm deep probably to the existing grout. Feels deep enough to just clean up and go over?

Picked this little tool up at the motor factors. Far superior at removing silicone from the tiles than the Stanley bladed window scraper type:

20190227_172225.thumb.jpg.61b41406fd8d10d01b6877323ee94aa6.jpg

20190227_172238.thumb.jpg.1baa803a4262c5abfae16ef151aaf2cc.jpg

£2.50 for the tool and £2 for a pack of 5 spare blades (both + VAT).

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, lizzie said:

my lovely kitchen fitter called in to do a tweak yesterday and I got him to reseal that shower screen whilst he was here. Bingo no leak tonight!

Brill (there are some good un's out there)

and I bet he didn't charge you - much less charge you £80

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Did he remove all the old stuff, clean and reapply? 

What silicone did he use?

He cleaned off the old stuff and reapplied.  Used his knife..... not sure if anything else, what was on wasnt too bad as it was a first layer reapply of mine. He used my silicone (he didnt have any with him wasn't expecting it). It was the Uni bond one that doesnt need a gun. Neat job, hope it us the end of the leak now......the difference a professional makes is impressive.

Tempted to live with the wide, tapered grout line on the basis the sink will hide the majority. Just hoping it doesn't crack. If it does I'll silicone bead it assuming I can get the gun in! When this has gone off I'll silicone bits around the shelf:

2019-02-28_08-09-05

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Tempted to live with the wide, tapered grout line on the basis the sink will hide the majority. Just hoping it doesn't crack. If it does I'll silicone bead it assuming I can get the gun in! When this has gone off I'll silicone bits around the shelf:

2019-02-28_08-09-05

Looks tidy from here. What's left to do after the basin? And have you christened the bath and throne yet? 

3 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Looks tidy from here. What's left to do after the basin? And have you christened the bath and throne yet? 

Baths been in use for months. No.1s only in the wc so far! 

Tomorrow night I'll likely tidy the silicone in the bath side tiling now I've the Fugi kit. Stil can't decide whether to rip out and redo the vertical silicone one side of the mitre in the shower corner. Might ask SWMBO if it's going to annoy her when she cleans it...:ph34r: Reckon I can get the joints neater:

20190223_152148

25 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

I wouldn't bother ripping it out.

Its fine.

What else is left to do?

As above then redo the perimeter floor/wall line with Mapei cement grey. Reckon I can get it at 5mm bead this time! After that get the basin in. I need to mess around with pipework in the loft to get mains cold to the basin. That's a worry as a single mixer tap with traditional gravity fed hot. Wondering as to an inline prv on the mains cold to the basin? Thereafter titivating with skirting, new panelled door, inset loo roll holder, blind and so on. It'll be useable but COLD. Need to think how I feed the towel rail and UFH loop.

Edited by Onoff

Tonight I ventured back into the bathroom and had another crack at the silicone!

As @Construction Channel wisely said "less is more". 5mm is thus my go to size now and imho it looks infinitely better. Simply put there's less silicone to screw up, mistakes are smaller etc:

20190304_195359

20190304_195432

20190304_195616

There's nothing that'll cover up sh!t tiling though, it is what it is.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CC45 said:

I think you are harsh on yourself - that tiling looks good to me.

Needs a bloody good clean I know that. Powdery residue that seems to take an age to get off. Was debating hoovering the walls with the stiff brush attachment? A few bits too of excess grout need to be removed along with some silicone smears.

Silicone done though I'll probably faff and touch a couple of bits up.

Sink next.

With the harsh light of the site light showing up loads of imperfections....

I need to put some silicone around the chrome pipe cover so any water from the wet room corner doesn't track thru where the pipe enters the wall.

Thinking CT1 overkill. Maybe a horseshoe bead of standard silicone?

20190305_051732

Looks better from a couple of feet away:

20190305_051701

Edited by Onoff

It’s never coming off again so just a blob of CT1 into the pipe grout and then push and turn the pipe cover. They are pennies so if you do have to take it off in the future then it’s a cut off and replace. 

• 3 weeks later...