Tiling...many questions

Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

What size? The grout lines are based around 3mm spacers.....the kit has a 5mm tool.....

The 5mm chamfer is always my go to option if the gaps allow it. If not I will step up to the 8mm. Less is is always a better option IMO. Iv never really liked the radius if I'm honest but on the 135 deg angle I think it might look better than a whopping great chamfer. 

16 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

If you are sure 5mm will cover it then do it in 5mm, if you aren't sure go with the bigger angle, you can always turn the tool round and use the 5mm side.

Definitely do all those corners even if you don't think water will get there.

I went 8mm around the bath.

As an aside I used isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to degrease the tiles, bath etc prior to applying the silicone.  (Think in one of the videos they were using meths or acetone).

Prior to this though it's real important to run your finger along and physically remove any lumps & bumps; tiny - snots of adhesive or grout,  plaster etc or even a little smear of grout. It takes the tiniest bit to stop the tool as you slide it along. As it rides over the debris that reflects in the bead shape.

A question; do I first do say the horizontal beads in the pockets, let them set THEN do the vertical beads so the wet vertical head sort of comes down over the horizontal one?

20190212_181011

Why hasn't @Construction Channel done a video on this yet? Too busy making newlywed, home movies I reckon! ;)

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Think in one of the videos they were using meths or acetone

I don’t have IPA (thought that was beer anyway ?) but I do have acetone. I’m always scared to use that TBH as it melts my nail polish off pronto and it wrecked a ring I was wearing once so I worry about it wrecking stuff (although it’s stored in a plastic bottle). What can’t it be used on? Is it ok on stone resin trays, steel baths etc? 

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

A question; do I first do say the horizontal beads in the pockets, let them set THEN do the vertical beads so the wet vertical head sort of comes down over the horizontal one?

The instructions say do vertical first then horizontal but I've never tried it so I can't speak from experience.

1 hour ago, newhome said:

I don’t have IPA (thought that was beer anyway ?) but I do have acetone. I’m always scared to use that TBH as it melts my nail polish off pronto and it wrecked a ring I was wearing once so I worry about it wrecking stuff (although it’s stored in a plastic bottle). What can’t it be used on? Is it ok on stone resin trays, steel baths etc? 

Dad used to buy acetone by the gallon when he was doing fibreglass columns and specials.

It was used to clean non-set (ie the raw material) resin off my school uniform when I brushed up against the wrong thing by mistake so I would test it before trying on stone resin, though should be OK but I would not leave it sitting on it for long. Steel should be fine unless it affects the coat. Might be sensible to wear surgical gloves, though I did not used to and I am still here.

Very good accelerent for bonfires, as is set resin (but that puts out as much smoke as diesel iirc). ==> well-ventialed area. Evaporates quite quickly, so feels cold on your skin.

It should remove supergue residue.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

The instructions say do vertical first then horizontal but I've never tried it so I can't speak from experience.

I just read the instructions you posted...properly! :) Makes sense.

"When working on corners, first start with the vertical wall grout lines and let them bond. Then proceed to the floor grout starting out of the corners in both directions".

• Like 1

There's something magical about the material these tools are made from, some ultra low friction silicone themselves I guess. Wet silicon just wipes off then leaving not a trace. Whatever it is it's both tough and flexible so much so that the edge forms against the tile and wipes off the excess with amazing ease. Very impressive in one of the videos where they wipe a rough tile clean of silicone with one of the tools.

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

Now I've mastered this silicone malarkey... :ph34r:

Do I do these joins with white silicone?

20190212_180906

20190212_180909

20190212_180954

20190212_181011

And could I silicone these too wide grout joints?

20190212_180924

20190212_181052

Cheers

This is all a bit creepy.

false-arm.thumb.jpg.0a71d0fedbf340655e648ad3822c38b6.jpg

I lurve the "don't worry, they are synthetic" disclaimer.

I have another theory where the arm came from, but that is unmentionable on a family forum.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

Have you finished it though? I've ordered the Fugi thingy. The kit with the silicone remover too as I've got to get out the shit attempt by the guy who came round to do some here. Even I can't be that bad (I hope!). 

8 hours ago, newhome said:

Have you finished it though? I've ordered the Fugi thingy. The kit with the silicone remover too as I've got to get out the shit attempt by the guy who came round to do some here. Even I can't be that bad (I hope!). 

Lidl had some silicone removal tools in the other day.....wish I'd bought them!

A couple of points:

To be fair it's a silk purse / sows ear scenario, some of the issues. The Fugi kit will not fix sh!t tiling!

Last night I had the beginnings of a headache and shouldn't really have started it. Using that Forever White with its strong vinegar smell and the headache just got worse.

I messed up in the pockets at the lower corners. Should definitely have done the verticals first then worked from the corner out (like the instructions say) to do the horizontals. Not sure though at what point to do this, when the vertical is just skinned,  fully set etc?

Where the floor tiles meet the bath sides it's less than 90deg. None of the tools in the kit fit as they're all for a 90deg angle. 

Around the perimeter elsewhere, where wall meets floor I've ended up with a 12mm fillet of Mapei cement grey. Started with 10mm but the CT1 I used first was showing through in a few places. Then messed up a section where I tried to go over it again!

I blame 3 nights off the beer... :ph34r:

I'll take a fresh look tonight and maybe think about ripping it all out and starting again. Thinking to take the clear CT1 out even at the wall /floor junction to end up with a thinner grey bead only.

Saying that the bit I enthused about first, around the bath, in Forever White is near PERFECT and can stay.

I've ripped this all out. Really deep, it was still tacky underneath:

20190214_171530

Not a nice look where the floor and wall meets. Not sure whether to re do in wide grout?

20190214_171544

The 12mm bead around the perimeter. I've done all except the bath sides:

20190214_171406

The best bit, behind where the sink is going done in Mapei cement grey. Again proof with practice it can be done perfectly!

20190214_171557

Close up, right hand mitre joint. The vertical done in Forever White...itself not great:

20190214_171419

The left hand mitre joint. Vertical joint is just grouted:

20190214_171430

Can't of been paying attention here:

20190214_171445

And I shouldn't have gone back over this bit:

20190214_171516

Thinking to rip all the grey out and use a smaller bead. It'll mean ditching the CT1 underneath and relying on the Mapei grey on it's own. Also do it in better light and shorter sections at a time.

Edited by Onoff

38 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I also hate applying silicone.  I've tried all the tools but keep going back to my finger.  When you get good at it - you can pop around ours and do all mine.....

I will supply the necessary beer.

Only thing keeping me going is the couple of perfect runs. Having a night or two, (three?) off as feeling oddly "rough" or otherwise out of sorts. Silicone poisoning??? :)

Beer? 4 nights sober!

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

You really do need to remember you will almost always be 6' away from almost all of this.

If you are that upset by any of it, rip it out in 6 months time. It won't make any difference. 

You are trying to achieve a flexible seal between 2 surfaces which I am sure you achieved on the first attempt. Making it look nice is not necessarily worth swearing about. 

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

My kit arrived and came with these instructions. Doesn’t say Fugi anywhere in the instructions but it says ‘Cramer Fugi’ in the description on Amazon so I hope it’s the same thing. 

9971C740-17D3-4940-AE10-0FA4787A6FBC.jpeg

46B02C1D-C19B-4499-99D5-D2CAEF9A11FA.jpeg

56D878F6-940E-476C-A6F3-24B29B48F499.jpeg

DF11B2F5-21BF-4EC7-A0EB-523C853FC1D0.jpeg

It's the same one as mine.

• Like 2