Tiling...many questions

Onoff

1 hour ago, newhome said:

That's still pretty risky in such a small area ;). Whose work is better? 

Difficult to call. Tbh none of it helped by my sh!t tiling.

Hers. 

20190126_214108

Mine:

20190126_214158

I'm going to do the wet room corner. Don't think it fair if it leaks.

I can certainly ram it in harder..... 

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

:D

I think you have the edge just now unless you were unfair and chose your best bit! 

Tbh we're both pretty useless!

Me:

20190126_220925

Her:

20190126_220905

Not sure she's putting enough in?

I am trying to sponge off at 45deg to the grout lines always. Also I keep the sponge dead flat.

Seems ironic it failed at the last hurdle as in the tiling.

I find the grout needs to be reasonably set - if its too 'wet' still its easy to rub it out, I'd rather have to work a bit harder when polishing it up.  If those were the only bits you can find then you aint doing too much wrong.  You will notice stuff others wont.

Ordered my front door last week - the guy running the company came around to measure and after chatting about rugby he had a shifty around.  I hate tiling but he commented that he had gone through many tilers before he was happy and that my tiling was comparable to the chap he used but I know where all the little mistakes are and he didnt. I also take a long time doing it all.  I dont think you probably have too much to worry about.

9 hours ago, CC45 said:

I find the grout needs to be reasonably set - if its too 'wet' still its easy to rub it out, I'd rather have to work a bit harder when polishing it up.  If those were the only bits you can find then you aint doing too much wrong.  You will notice stuff others wont.

Ordered my front door last week - the guy running the company came around to measure and after chatting about rugby he had a shifty around.  I hate tiling but he commented that he had gone through many tilers before he was happy and that my tiling was comparable to the chap he used but I know where all the little mistakes are and he didnt. I also take a long time doing it all.  I dont think you probably have too much to worry about.

What type of cloth are you using to rub out with?

I've a window cleaners scrim seems pretty good for buffing up and getting the dust off.

At any time does a wet finger/rubber glove come into play along the joints?

33 minutes ago, newhome said:

Looks good! What's the next job? After the grouting that is. 

- I've to solder that lead to the LED strip that goes up in the long pocket.

- Fit & test the extra plinth lights along the side and decide on ones on the end or not.

- Fit bath end panel

- Grout bath

- Silicone where wall and floor meet. Got a Mapei grey.

- Colour match silicone (white) any gaps at the various trims

- Run a cold mains supply to the basin up in the loft. Could be an issue as I've a single hole mixer tap and the hot is gravity fed.

- Shower plate to go on. Do I silicone between the back of the plate and the tiles? Presumably I don't use CT1?

- Shower handset / riser to go on.

- Wall drain cover to fit

- Flush plate to go on

- Wall mount WC to go on. Plenty of questions coming!

- Paint that wall. SWMBO likes a colour in Wilkinsons of all places but it's not "bathroom"  paint. Do any of the sheds make up bathroom paint if I get a Wilko match pot?

Etc, etc

Roll on Easter! :)

Edited by Onoff
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Roll on Easter!

Do you meet deadlines at work? ;) If so how do you strike a balance between speed and compromise, or are you forever conflicted? :)

And surely there must be a bathroom version of that colour paint in another make? What colour is it?

59 minutes ago, newhome said:

Do you meet deadlines at work? ;) If so how do you strike a balance between speed and compromise, or are you forever conflicted? :)

And surely there must be a bathroom version of that colour paint in another make? What colour is it?

I more lurch from one crisis to the next and then manage it to death.

What colour, like I know or care! :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

- I've to solder that lead to the LED strip that goes up in the long pocket.

- Fit & test the extra plinth lights along the side and decide on ones on the end or not.

- Fit bath end panel

- Grout bath

- Silicone where wall and floor meet. Got a Mapei grey.

- Colour match silicone (white) any gaps at the various trims

- Run a cold mains supply to the basin up in the loft. Could be an issue as I've a single hole mixer tap and the hot is gravity fed.

- Shower plate to go on. Do I silicone between the back of the plate and the tiles? Presumably I don't use CT1?

- Shower handset / riser to go on.

- Wall drain cover to fit

- Flush plate to go on

- Wall mount WC to go on. Plenty of questions coming!

- Paint that wall. SWMBO likes a colour in Wilkinsons of all places but it's not "bathroom"  paint. Do any of the sheds make up bathroom paint if I get a Wilko match pot?

Etc, etc

Roll on Easter! :)

I put the thinest bead of silicone around my shower plate.  Have had to take it off twice in 4 years to  clean out the gauze and change the  thermostatic valve.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I put the thinest bead of silicone around my shower plate.  Have had to take it off twice in 4 years to  clean out the gauze and change the  thermostatic valve.  

Ta. A PRACTICAL comment! :)

Regular, but decent silicone I assume rather than sh!t to blanket stuff like CT1 is what I'm thinking?

I've a couple of new tubes of Forever White here that I reckon'll do.

Edited by Onoff

Apparently I don't listen!

SWMBO HAS found the colour she likes:

0341833-1.thumb.jpg.8f324f70e5e5c84171863a0474853260.jpg

However...it doesn't match the blind.

Now found that B&Q do Valspar bathroom paint that they'll colour match.

The blind will be the next argument. She wants it on the outside of the reveal. Pointless imo and won't help with the cold spot of the cheap 2G window. I want it inside the reveal by the window.

I've just been informed (allegedly I was told previously) that it's a patterned blind we're having:

2019-01-27_10-14-05

I SH!T ye not!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Apparently I don't listen!

No shit huh! ;)

16 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've just been informed (allegedly I was told previously) that it's a patterned blind we're having:

Hmm, that's nice and er, busy :). Inside or outside - at least you won't see all the tat on the window cill with the blind pulled down if it's on the outside :D

Do I run a very small bead of silicone around where the tiles meet the ceiling? 

(I forced grout in here on the walls I did. SWMBO didn't). 

As an aside, I am going to run round this edge with a radiator roller / paint shield and re paint with the Dulux Matt Diamond.

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

Ta. A PRACTICAL comment! :)

Regular, but decent silicone I assume rather than sh!t to blanket stuff like CT1 is what I'm thinking?

I've a couple of new tubes of Forever White here that I reckon'll do.

Yeah I think it was just bog standard screw fix silicone. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

As an aside, I am going to run round this edge with a radiator roller / paint shield and re paint with the Dulux Matt Diamond.

Unless you’ve damaged the ceiling, I wouldn’t do that as it will show up. Would be quicker to just redo the lot carefully.