Tiling...many questions

Onoff

36 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Thinking I can probably adapt the wet tile saw to cut this tile in place...

How's the roof / drive going btw? 

Ouch !

below the belt !

Its been screeded with a fall . I’ve raised the upstands - bitcmore to do ; but other luxury hmo things to do !!

Morning,

So...GROUTING! It could happen this weekend, or at least a start be made on it. A few quetions if I may:

1)    I’ve a few tile spacers have snapped off. Some are a bit deeper in then the face of the tiles, some not. I’ll persevere with long nose pliers to try and pull them out but for the stuck fast ones, what? Get in there with a drill, the multi tool?

20190119_101932.thumb.jpg.434065618050c1911a31add906754b2f.jpg

If I can say push the broken bits in is that OK? Can they just stay under the surface and get encapsulated in grout?

2)    Ditto some areas where there’s a bit of excess tile adhesive come thru into the grout line, how to remove?

20190119_101854.thumb.jpg.03a925e601c0d6666a771bf32fd7cd97.jpg

3)    Assuming then all my grout lines are clear I’ll run round all the joints and identify any cut edges that might need a tad more dressing to take the sharp edge off though tbh I was pretty careful to dress them as I cut them.

4)    Then, where to start? In the pockets and window reveal first maybe?

5)    Wherever, do I start at the top or bottom of the wall? Top I guess so the “washing” off water runs down.

6)    Presuming to aim for a m2 at a time.

7)    I assume have a bucket (two?) of clean water to regularly rinse the sponge in?

8) Wipe off at 45deg to the grout line I know but what about finishing off, a British Standard wet finger?

There’ll be a few more questions before this is done!

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

F*ck it ; I’ll do the grouting “ isn't really in my vocabulary. It has to be thought about, often for several weeks, months even. Then questions have to be asked. We could then still be some way off! :)

First things first though to tidy the bathroom and put all the various tools back in their respective bags; plumbing, tiling leccy, measuring etc. Then there's the collected boxes of various tat to go through and the loose screws to go back in their boxes. I AM going to bin that useless metal frame mastic gun! (BTW the Lidl Parkside one sitting next to the Aqua Seal tub in the corner is excellent IMO).

20190119_104556.thumb.jpg.29ede2fc9e325b0fab838177328022dc.jpg

WTF did I use a piece of thick wall st/st doing all this?

20190119_104610.thumb.jpg.1fd4a43269cd75f5be5a783719738d55.jpg

Maybe I should finish the bath end panel /last two tiles before grouting?

20190119_105320.thumb.jpg.5ebf32f5f9d248f9583b2251a0c8d5d5.jpg

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

We grouted and tiled a little bit of our utility room ourselves, had never done either ever before. Tiles were pretty ok ( not perfect) but the grout was spot on. No issues 6 years later, looks exactly the same. We just mixed it up and did it without putting too much thought into it :)

Edited by j_s
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Anyone else ever applied grout with a mastic gun

i did with black grout on slate tiles as I had to walk 30m to get water from a stand pipe... quite enjoyed it too

Have considered it. The Lidl mastic gun (which at £3.99 is a steal all day long), comes with these tools. Thinking those thin nozzles might work?

306929_23.thumb.jpg.5250f05b446abb220a6858067bc506ea.jpg

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=19790

start in one area, load up the grouting trowel press it into the gaps hard, wipe excess off, proceed to next bit.  Keep going.  Periodically test to see how gone off the grout is.  Don't need to 'wash' off excess grout, damp sponge and wipe.  You will need lots of clean water.  2 people are better than one on this job in my opinion.  It also takes longer than you think so I concentrate on one single area first & get it done before moving onto the next.  No need to use your finger here at all - keep it for wrapping around a good beer (e.g. Theakson OP) after the jobs done.

Spacers need to be hidden in the crack - adhesive the same.  As long as the grout will cover then thats fine.

• Like 1

I didn't take the oversize tile off in the end I filed it with the diamond stones Nick recommended a while back. Came out perfect. No shelling etc.

LAST tile on then. (Well, enough to start the grouting). 

When the Grab & Bond is dry I'll take the panel off and drill for the fixing screws which will pull it in. 

20190121_214126

Still got to drill around the bottom of the bath for 7 blue deck lights. Waiting for a deep 22mm hole saw to get thru the timber behind the tile. 

35 minutes ago, newhome said:

Looks like that bath’s being used! Best crack on with the grout so that water doesn’t seep under the tiles ... ?

Can't keep my daughter out of it!

Tanked marine ply so a few splashes won't hurt pre G-Day.

7 minutes ago, CC45 said:

What if you turn the camera 180degrees.......

Standing on the bath surround. Tbh it'd take a few minutes to clear the buckets, tools and tat on the window cill. 

2019-01-22_10-16-27

We're a little way off of the unveiling shots though! :)

• Like 2