Tiling...many questions

Onoff

2 minutes ago, CC45 said:

With the current rate of progress, unless there's an unexpected problem, this 'blog' might never reach 100 pages.  Shame, I did have high hopes of a century......

@zoothorn is at 58 pages so at first glance in in the lead. However.....to these 50 pages we should really add the 79 from my boxing in thread! :)

16 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Good point, still got some stuff left to do so 58 shoulnt be too hard.

Got our ensuite done today, except for the units.  Will order them with the kitchen.

Time to get downstairs done now.

Experimenting tomorrow whether this CT1 Power Grab & Bond sticks to the tanking.

Can't see tbh why I can't stick the tiles straight to the marine ply on the sides and relax. 

@Nickfromwales, what's the trick with filling the bath full to simulate a person plus water when you tile?

Presuming I tile the deck and sides then set the bath lip down on a thick bed of something?

Cheers.

This just to upset the purists on a Sunday morning...

I'm NOT going to do it.

I have NO need to do it but...

Had a mad thought as I do. Can you add Cream of Tartare to tile adhesive to extend the set like with plaster? 

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Why would you want to..??? You could always shave the cat and add that along with peeing in it too... I’m sure there is someone on the internet who will support your idea .... just google it ...!

Why not? When for whatever reason a tiling job takes longer than expected.  I've tried Googling it, nothing. I was just interested in whether the proven action of potassium bitartrate in delaying plaster setting times would apply to tile adhesive.

Meanwhile back tiling. Just seems so wrong to be doing this out of a tube! But it's quick!

Tiles weigh approx 1.3kg each. Instructions suggest a 450mm bead per kilo on "heavy vertical loading". Not sure if 3 vertical beads would be better.

20181209_120421

20181209_121505

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

Will a film be made from this thread ?

who would star as @Onoff Tom cruise ? Or boris Johnson ?

Be an 18 for sure ......

Interesting question...Kate Beckinsale and I'd write the script...the scene where I'm using the rainfall shower for the first time! ;)

In a similar vein a mate & I had a long running discussion who could play Jack Reacher should the films be made. Dolph Lungren...Aaron Eckhart, Stephen Lang, Dwayne Johnson. Whoever we decided that at the guy in the books is something like 250lbs and 6'5" he'd need presence. Lo and behold Tom Cruise bought the rights and cast himself! :)

(I've been told I look like Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen). 

Unless I can get a 45deg "V" trim that will slip into the gap between the tiles I reckon a convex shaped mastic bead will be the only way to get a rounded edge:

20181209_203420

20181209_203442

The plinth lights.....ORIGINALLY I was intent on having 6 in total, 4 down the side and 2 on the end. Now with shifting to a single tile over the access panel it'll need to be 3 or 5 down the side...if 5 then with more than one on the end I've only run 6 conduits! If one plinth light on the end won't look silly I'll get away with it.

20181209_203917

On top of that, behind where the squiggly red line is, is a 45-50mm deep batten. As the lights will look better half way up the lower, half tile (nearest the floor), I'll have to drill a 22mm hole through the tile, 12.5mm ply AND the batten. Got to buy a deep 22mm Starrett now.....I think.

Tallk about knock on effects, the price of making it up ad hoc! :)

Edited by Onoff