Tiling...many questions

Onoff

I don't like the systems I've seen where the clips occupy the corners, simply because I want to be able to see the gaps at the junctions / intersections. Quite like the system in the vid as you can put them where you like, but REALLY don't like the price!

I'll have another look at the UK systems as I have a couple more floors to lay 'for prosperity'. 

On 17/11/2018 at 14:14, Nickfromwales said:

Nah, just go to something that’s not water based so the paint doesn’t soften. CT1 / Sika etc will be fine. Don’t forget to fit the top trim whilst the goop is still ‘wet’. 

A couple of questions if I may:

Grey "shelf" tiles are all stuck on the length of that wall. All the mosaics for the upstand are cut.

1) Do I sit the mosaics on 1mm shims, wipe the excess whatever adhesive off, clear CT1 the 1mm gap then finish with white silicon?

2) If using Sika / CT1 then how much do I put on the back of the tile, each corner and a centre blob or all 4 sides?

3) Clear CT1 I assume or white Sika. Both ferkin expensive. 

A pity something like Sticks Like Sh!t wouldn't do it!

4) If I Sika / CT1 then how do I stop the 1mm shims getting stuck in there? If I take them out before the "adhesive" is set the tiles will slump. 

5) 10mm tile trim. The "risk" is I push the tile too far back and it sits well under the trim. Dry fit first maybe then stick plastic shims onto the wall first to stop me pushing the tiles in too far?

20181116_235945

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

And don’t go crazy with the goop. Lots of 20p sized  blobs and push back until flush with the trim. 

Appreciated.

What about a neat "seal" between back of the trim to the mist coated wall and top of the tile to the trim? SWMBO prefers not to feel a ridge at the trim edge so I'm sitting the trim on top of rather than lipping over the tile. (Doesn't always work out with my wonky tiling :) )

I've a tube of grey CT1 doing nothing so will use that up here.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Just have the baby wipes to hand. 

Set the trim back to the wall with a small bead of caulk. ;)  Smooth and wipe off immediately, leave to dry, and then mask and repaint. 

Bingo bango + chicken dinner in one. ?

"Caulk" as in decorator's caulk? As opposed to CT1 or Sika?

I was half tempted to stick the trim on the wall first using the mosaics to gauge height backed up by some feint pencil lines on the painted wall. Clear CT1 (trim to painted wall) seems obvious but will paint go over CT1?

If that's a goer then once the trim is on, blob the backs of the mosaics with grey CT1 (as I have it spare) and quickly push in the mosaics level with the trim.

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yes, as you'll need to be able to paint it, and you'll want to be able to wipe it off. Water based clean up requires water based goop ;)

Hmmm...so a line of caulk along the top and a line of CT1 lower down  to stick the trim to the wall?

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Hmmm...so a line of caulk along the top and a line of CT1 lower down  to stick the trim to the wall?

If you think you can stick the trim on without getting a gap, and without getting goop on the paint, then do away with the caulk. Making life hard there AFAIC though. Ideally you need a slow setting goop and to fit the trim and tile upstand simultaneously. Gets tricky if theres a joint, but glue and spray should be your friend there.  

On 26/11/2018 at 13:57, PeterW said:

We use ones from Home Bargains ... 2 packs for £1..!!

On 26/11/2018 at 16:59, newhome said:

Even more cheapskate then! ?

On 26/11/2018 at 17:49, Onoff said:

Looking like Lidl might be worth a try at 49p per 64.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=12711

Wilko's own 50p per pack

A few (very few) done tonight:

2 on the floor under the basin:

20181128_213431

The left hand rip above the window that's been bugging me for ages. I removed the original tile that was just wrong ages ago and tonight multi tooled the old adhesive off and put a better rip up. I can trim the edge now and tile the soffit.

20181128_213421

Poxy little one in the top corner done now:

20181128_213350

Last two pockets done:

20181128_231534

3 rips above the bath:

20181128_231523

Focus now then is on the soffit and sides of the window reveal and the mosaics and trim along the painted wall shelf.

Then THE BATH!

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

A few (very few) done tonight:

2 on the floor under the basin:

20181128_213431

The left hand rip above the window that's been bugging me for ages. I removed the original tile that was just wrong ages ago and tonight multi tooled the old adhesive off and put a better rip up. I can trim the edge now and tile the soffit.

20181128_213421

Poxy little one in the top corner done now:

20181128_213350

Last two pockets done:

20181128_231534

3 rips above the bath:

20181128_231523

Focus now then is on the soffit and sides of the window reveal and the mosaics and trim along the painted wall shelf.

Then THE BATH!

looking great now mate.

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

looking great now mate.

Ta, I did promise a warts 'n all journey with this! Tbh the last few, up high / down low, if it was a 2mm or 4mm gap rather than 3 and I couldn't get a 3mm spacer in or it was loose I just whacked  'em up! :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Ta, I did promise a warts 'n all journey with this! Tbh the last few, up high / down low, if it was a 2mm or 4mm gap rather than 3 and I couldn't get a 3mm spacer in or it was loose I just whacked  'em up! :ph34r:

You would make a great self-builder as you want everything to be millimetre perfect and that is not always achievable as you, me and others have found out. Keep going bud and when it is all done and grouted, towels everywhere you will wonder what all the fuss was about!