Tiling...many questions

Onoff

A few more fiddly bits. The 3 pocket "sills", quite pleased although all at v.slightly different angles as different depths. Tried to align with the mosaics:

20181110_144433

20181110_144425

The window sill, it's "alright". Had to have the back of one joint at about 4mm rather than 3.

20181110_144407

And a few tiles on the return by the wc. One tile left out for the loo roll holder. SWMBO, amazingly, is quite taken with my idea for a stacking, inset loo roll holder / dispenser. 

She did however say to finish the rest first! :ph34r:

20181110_144508

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newhome said:

You tiling that white wall above the bath? 

No. SWMBO didn't want full height tiles anywhere...I did. The white, half wall is a compromise. She'll paint that a colour of her choice and match all the towels and stuff to suit.

This is how I HAD planned the tiling with the bath pocket (sketch from Jan 17 :ph34r: ) :

tiles_001

The dark grey is tiles. Key is that I had envisaged 5mm grout lines!

20181110_231501

However... 

@Nickfromwales advice was, on pockets, to do the back first, then the bottom, then the top and lastly the sides. At the bottom leave a gap and CT1 it, a bit like this:

20181110_231756

Trouble is I've a 430mm high space and a 400mm high tile. Leaves me with a 30mm space at the top:

20181110_231810

Did half wonder whether to raise the mosaic up to start with...though even putting the bottom tile on a slant leaves a big gap to make up.

20181110_232007

20181110_232200

Maybe I should just add two strips of 12.5mm ply and bring the 430mm gap down to 405mm? Means sacrificing the tanking strip! :(

Also this is all marine ply and I haven't got anymore!

Edited by Onoff

49 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Would cutting a one square depth of the mosaic effect tile not be sufficient? They look about 30mm

That’s what everyone else would do though ? They’re probably a touch over 30 with the fake grout line. 

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

Maybe I should just add two strips of 12.5mm ply and bring the 430mm gap down to 405mm? Means sacrificing the tanking strip! :(

Also this is all marine ply and I haven't got anymore!

Just use MR plasterboard then. Not like it’s in an area that will be constantly wet. 

47 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

How would it work out with the mosaic effect tile landscape instead of portrait? 

1 hour ago, bassanclan said:

Would cutting a one square depth of the mosaic effect tile not be sufficient? They look about 30mm

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Just use MR plasterboard then. Not like it’s in an area that will be constantly wet. 

Three good suggestions. I'm unsure tbh how real grout lines will look against the faux ones. A while back I experimented with some decorating filler and 3mm spacers:

20170815_105620

In the wall pockets I've had to up to 5mm spacers between them to put on the centrelines of the main tiles:

20181006_190833

Not sure how they'll look when finished... 

As to using mrpb...I've visions of this ledge getting soaked by grandkids etc! Seems a pity to put mrpb over marine ply...

Thinking now to maybe add a nom 30mm strip of softwood at the top, glued and screwed to the ply. It might serve to deflect the light straight down too rather than have that glare at the top...

20170105_215655

20170112_215419

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Three good suggestions. I'm unsure tbh how real grout lines will look against the faux ones. A while back I experimented with some decorating filler and 3mm spacers:

20170815_105620

In the wall pockets I've had to up to 5mm spacers between them to put on the centrelines of the main tiles:

20181006_190833

Not sure how they'll look when finished... 

As to using mrpb...I've visions of this ledge getting soaked by grandkids etc! Seems a pity to put mrpb over marine ply...

Thinking now to maybe add a nom 30mm strip of softwood at the top, glued and screwed to the ply. It might serve to deflect the light straight down too rather than have that glare at the top...

20170105_215655

20170112_215419

I reckon sat in the bath the glare would be straight in your eyes . Excellent job though !

Edited by pocster

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Nice, did you do the tiling?

Not me personally lol although I did tile the bathroom myself in the house I owned in Kemsing back in the day. We had someone in to do the tiling in this house as the hubby wasn't keen on trying to tile especially as there were 6 bath / shower rooms and a large part of the downstairs floor is tiled (other than the main lounge and dining room). This was the room where I had a meltdown as they used Mapei beige instead of the jasmine after I had matched the faux grout lines really carefully to the jasmine. As it happens you can't even tell the difference but a woman having a hissy fit ain't to be reasoned with! ;) 

Where's the bath?! Or is that from way back? 

It looks like your faux grout may be shiny rather than matt? That may be harder to blend in unless you pick a grout that has a shine to it if such a thing exists :S

8 minutes ago, newhome said:

Where's the bath?! Or is that from way back? 

It looks like your faux grout may be shiny rather than matt? That may be harder to blend in unless you pick a grout that has a shine to it if such a thing exists :S

The bath's under the "work bench"! :) Made to fit cover from 30mm chipboard with all the tat on. You can see the taps (not my choice), centre of the pocket. 

20181110_231501

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

It's not in this one though surely? :S

No. Though what you're looking at there is where the bath sits. The 100mm floor slab is absent where the recess is and that is lined with 3/4" marine ply. The pear drop cut out gives more space for the waste trap. 

All this simply so the floor of the bath is level with the tiled bathroom floor. Makes a big difference imo. Done with a nod to getting older, over balancing etc. Not visible here but the bath surround sides slope inward so you can in effect stand "closer" to the bath.

Edited by Onoff

Just fiddling today! Thought I'd play with the tiles that line the pockets:

20181111_172812

20181111_172827

Onto then these pocket lights using the cheapo LAPP deck lights (stainless steel, £4.99 /10).

20181111_172847

I need to drill a 22mm hole in the soffit tile (then up thru the Aqua Panel and timber beneath). No problems there.

Considering the spread of light within the pocket as I have two different pocket depths, 78 & 100mm. I reckon the centre of the light fitting should be a constant from the mosaics, so 78/2 = 39mm. It'll therefore be central on the 78mm pocket but offset, 39/61 on the two deeper pockets. The arc from the lamps should appear equal on all three:

Here's them in loose a while back pre mosaics etc. Interesting that within the fitting are 3 LEDs arranged 120apart so they all have to be aligned the same way!

20180510_211725

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

Bath pocket...mulled over a few designs for fitting the 2m LED strip. Settled on one now...I think! Decided I just want the "glow" when lying in the bath rather than to see the strip. 

First stage then, I Gorilla glued a couple of 12.5mm marine ply strips on to give a 1" deep lip:

20181113_194740

The aluminium track will sit up behind this. 

20181113_194252

Tonight to form the horizontal "lip" maybe and start the tanking on this area.

I can see that replacing this strip might be a pain! Should have used 25mm conduit! Tbh I could do with removing the light strip & cable whilst I do this. All a bit tight as the 25mm lip half covers the conduit now. Poor planning as usual! :)

20181113_194701

Edited by Onoff