Tiling...many questions

Onoff

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

We'll pretend then that I MEANT to drill the holes for the NRV access at 35 and not 40mm!

And this matters because when there’s a bloody great plate going on top? 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

And this matters because when there’s a bloody great plate going on top? 

No, because I may now have to use a box spanner rather than the 1" AF 1/2" drive socket I had intended as it's got a thinner wall. 

Happy with the nom 5m clearance around the (yellow) blanks:

20180923_135641

20180923_135701

Obviously these have to stay in place whilst I tile but how do I stop the adhesive, which is inevitably going to squidge round the blanks, from sticking to them and making it a bitch to remove them? Silicon spray?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

5kg of adhesive and 5 tiles laid! :)

Did the hose outlet tile. Wrapped the 1/2" BSP brass bit in sticky side out tape pre tiling:

20180923_172901

20180923_174453

The four tiles around the wc hit a bump in the road and ended with a right faux pas!

Duct tape, sticky side out around the blanks:

20180923_154853

Looks OK here:

20180923_172912

After re cutting the bottom left tile that snapped as I pushed it home:

20180923_172931

However, the left hand end must be 5mm low! :(

20180923_174645

Load the pan with Sikaflex before I put it on to take up any gap?

Cheers

23 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Looks good @Onoff, have you booked entertainment for the grand opening?  Will the event be broadcast on the web for those of us too far to visit in person?

?

From a distance maybe. Run your hand over some of the joints and they're a bit uneven. 

Yeah I've got Jennifer Aniston lined up to test the shower which I'll live stream! ;)

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yeah I've got Jennifer Aniston lined up to test the shower which I'll live stream! 

You can buy a shower curtain with her on it. I think that may be as close as you will get ?

CCAE72D6-1D42-4C00-9B7D-5A5858411958.thumb.jpeg.1ce089a345a5e771bee163f5c55d2573.jpeg

38 minutes ago, newhome said:

You can buy a shower curtain with her on it. I think that may be as close as you will get ?

CCAE72D6-1D42-4C00-9B7D-5A5858411958.thumb.jpeg.1ce089a345a5e771bee163f5c55d2573.jpeg

How do you know? She might have very low standards whilst appreciating a bloke who takes his time! ;)

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

@Nickfromwales, ref the cardinal sin, the centreline of the wc is in effect a high point as above due to idiot boy here not thinking to tamp the tiles level horizontally. Reckon the back of the pan will be 2-3mm shy of the tiles either side.

Salvageable?

Cheers

Unlikely that the back of the pan is flat anyway from my experience. What’s it like from the level of the bolts to top pan height..?? Have you got the pan so you can have a look to see what happens when you offer it back ..?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Unlikely that the back of the pan is flat anyway from my experience. What’s it like from the level of the bolts to top pan height..?? Have you got the pan so you can have a look to see what happens when you offer it back ..?

Good shout, I can bolt on "loose". Will post pics later.

Amazing what white silicone will hide.  My tiles are a bit like that - the walls aren't entirely flat so you do the best you can, grout and then forget.  No one else will know your imperfections as well as you do (plus all the forum members of course).

Carry on tiling unless you want to see Jennifer with loads of wrinkles.

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

With the level resting on the studs, 400mm wide tiles, brown, 5mm packs:

20180924_181344

Roughly where the top of the pan will sit, its about 3.5mm each side:

2018-09-24_09-17-57

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Just get on with it sweetie and then it won’t dry out ?

It already has above where I've tiled so that's why I'm asking. Primed more wall than I ended up tiling. Do I put another coat of primer on before tiling the already primed and DRY bit?