Tiling...many questions

Onoff

In the words of Will Smith I decided to get jiggy with it. Anything to put of more tiling. WTF did I pick the most visible, awkward corner when I've never tiled a wall in my life?

Main bits o/of scrap MDF plus some softwood edging, not sure how long that'll last! 40 & 65mm diamond grit hole saws from eBay. Was going to varnish it but me and my impulsive side...

20180918_180825

Tile dropped into the holder, jig plate dropped in. I can add holes to this piece for the hose outlet, basin feeds etc or just cut another MDF "tile":

20180918_180901

One of the smaller ones:

20180918_181107

For the 65mm dia one found it easier to fill the hole with water rather than pi$$ about trying to squirt it in:

20180918_181601

Jig plate removed:

20180918_181921

A quick rinse:

20180918_182050

The backside:

20180918_182058

I can do these to order, might take a while ;):

20180918_182243

I'll get away with this I reckon. @ProDave, I need to drill more holes in this tile don't I, between the big and small ones?

2018-09-18_06-31-57

2018-09-18_06-35-40

Has anyone seen my cheapo Parkside set of diamond grit edged hole saws? Need a smaller size for the hose outlet! :)

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can’t aegue with the dedication my friend. That jig is worthy of a beer or two. ?

Yes to knocking the bridges out between the holes as the NRVs need getting to. 

If I were you I’d use the ‘corner of doom’ to practice for the compound cuts on the bath. Those keep waking me up at night. 

If they all work out mint I’ll buy a round in your honour ?

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Can’t aegue with the dedication my friend. That jig is worthy of a beer or two. ?

Yes to knocking the bridges out between the holes as the NRVs need getting to. 

If I were you I’d use the ‘corner of doom’ to practice for the compound cuts on the bath. Those keep waking me up at night. 

If they all work out mint I’ll buy a round in your honour ?

Compound cuts? 

Tbh wishing I could do the corner again but hey ho! Should have probably bedded the mitre tile on a much thicker bed. It's just "wrong" imo :(

And they said it was the plastering I'd cock up! :)

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Tbh wishing I could do the corner again but hey ho! Should have probably bedded the mitre tile on a much thicker bed. It's just "wrong" imo :(

Nooo! Stop beating yourself, you are doing great. Self flagellation is not helpful!  Look forward, not back! 

ABECDF6C-F1F4-4379-841B-16FB39EF8A83.gif

8 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

New jig plate? Use same size as outer holes as the chrome plate will hide it all.

Fantastic job so far old boy...

If you use the same size holes as the outer plate you can't fit in the tools to service the mixer. Like this bad boy big box spanner!

20180613_211248

1" AF socket for the NRVs then a 17mm box spanner goes over the spindles. Whether they all still fit once the tile is stuck on for good and accumulative error raises it's head???

12 hours ago, CC45 said:

Makes my attempt look very sloppy.  The good news is that when silicone and cover plate goes on, mine will look the same!

I can cut a neat hole in a tile for sure, laying them is my downfall as the next post will show! :(

Edited by Onoff

OK warts 'n all:

20180919_212207

Debating smashing out the third row up as too far to the left.

Close up of the screw up:

20180919_211913

Proud I ain't! :(

My other cock up. Not sure how the grout lines either side will match:

20180919_211939

Right hand side I can fit a Screwfix pencil:

20180919_212020

Left hand side the pencil sits on top:

20180919_212046

White grout to be used. Not sure if it'll help or not.

Edited by Onoff

Id say the 2 courses under the third row were too far to the right rather than the third too far to the left? That would close up the 'pencil' gap too. You should find the adhesive isn't yet fully cured so they should be reasonably easy to get off. If you have to break a tile remember that it'll grow in size when it breaks so beware of it expanding and damaging the adjacent 'keepers'. 

No-one said it was going to be easy. ;) Stick with it. ?

21 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Id say the 2 courses under the third row were too far to the right rather than the third too far to the left? That would close up the 'pencil' gap too. You should find the adhesive isn't yet fully cured so they should be reasonably easy to get off. If you have to break a tile remember that it'll grow in size when it breaks so beware of it expanding and damaging the adjacent 'keepers'. 

No-one said it was going to be easy. ;) Stick with it. ?

Ta. Done on Sunday. They're stuck fast. No prising these off. Think as you say I'd have to move the bottom 4 over to the left:

2018-09-19_09-53-50

If I do take them off then there's the adhesive underneath. Multitool? And what about the tanking?

Edited by Onoff

This is the other "wing" off the mitre which I'm happier with. 1st row slightly off to the 3 above. Hopefully I'll get better!

2018-09-20_07-49-26

Going to carry on, then when all done and it's time to grout make a decision whether to smash off those 4 (6?) In the second to last photo and redo.

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Tile the vertical wall all the way up first and then mitre bond the trims on so you can set the mitres perfectly. Then do the two side tiles, then the base tile, leave to set and do the top with stilts to hold it up off the base tile. 

Ta...don't you though do the base tile first so the side ones sit on it and the grout line isn't so prominent?

I was going to do in this order:

Base

Rear tiles

Top tile

Sides

???

And how do you cut the trim, small mitre block and what saw?

Chippy mate lent me this, reckons it's great for plastic trim but I can't get on with it.

20180920_215608

Edited by Onoff

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Rear first.

I'll upload some pics in the morning of the one I did yesterday ? 

Cheers. Live and learn but I'm going to have to take a skim off each side of the 3 big mosaic tiles going in the back of the pockets I think. The first pocket, well I knew I was tight width wise there. On the remaining two I gave a few extra mm.  Didn't though take into account the tanking and little snots that accumulate in the corners.

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Tilings fun isn't it :S I swear if I never have to tile anything ever agin it'll be too soon, ive done my fair share :( 

I think I need to come and labour for you for a bit to pick up tips! :)