Tiling...many questions

Onoff

On 10/09/2018 at 22:57, CC45 said:

Just bumping this.  I'd rather not use more of the current stuff (pot time is too short) - just interested in what you all use and the rough price.

Cheers

£20 a bag ( 20kg ) is the average. I use 'standard set' or 'extended set', different makes use different names for it but you get a good hour in the tub and it cleans off things easily after 2 hours.

On 10/09/2018 at 21:01, Christine Walker said:

Ok so I got a tiler on board, have a ton of tiles waiting to be laid and various bags of adhesive and grout, I got a trade account with walls and floors and checked with the tiler if the price I was paying for the adhesive seemed reasonable, yes says he , then tonight he phoned wanting tubs of ready mixed adhesive, told him it was all here now and I ain’t buying any more, he’s not wanting to use the bags, says it won’t do! Anyone anything to say re ready mix v bags?

If this is for porcelain tiles then get a new tiler NOW. If its over tanking and with porcelain then punch him in the face first and then sack him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

you can also use a flat screwdriver to scrape it out if there's a lot.

Are you back buttering the tiles as well?

Why 10mm?  Big tiles?

I've finished doing one ensuite, got the main bathroom & a second ensuite to go.  May get a pro in - just to speed the job up.

Its a great feeling when you finish :D

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

£20 a bag ( 20kg ) is the average. I use 'standard set' or 'extended set', different makes use different names for it but you get a good hour in the tub and it cleans off things easily after 2 hours.

If this is for porcelain tiles then get a new tiler NOW. If its over tanking and with porcelain then punch him in the face first and then sack him. 

32 minutes ago, CC45 said:

back buttering the tiles as well?  So an adhesive bed of 10mm?

I guess so? 10mm notched spread horizontally on the wall then 10mm notched vertically on the tile.

Think just this area will have used a 20kg bag.

I've had to add 1mm shims to the 3mm spacers between the mosaics going up as they're a tad shorter than the grey tiles.

Found I've too much left in the second mix but hadn't primed any more wall. Reckon my first half bag was about 9kg to 2.5l water as it was a little wet. 2nd mix was a bit stiffer with 2.5kg so was probably 11kg of adhesive. Just added a bit more water to get the consistency.

Whacked some primer on and having a bit of grub whilst it goes tacky. Might even squeeze in an episode of Insatiable on Netflix! :)

Shower valve / hose outlet ones next. 

A little worried I might have "stuck" my angles to the wall in places :(

I need to drill out for the wall mount wc pan outlet. A series of 3mm holes with a tile drill?

Edited by Onoff

tile saw to join the holes?  I'd prob use the tile saw or a 4.5" angle grinder with stone cutting works well if the curve isn't too tight (watch the 'rear' of the disk as it comes up - it chips the tile.  lay the grinder well over and work away from the line as you go down and then clean up at the end.  Play with some offcuts).

I hate it when you've still got Q a bit of adhesive left - too much to throw away, but you really want to quit!

Looks good. :)

2 minutes ago, CC45 said:

tile saw to join the holes?  I'd prob use the tile saw or a 4.5" angle grinder with stone cutting works well if the curve isn't too tight (watch the 'rear' of the disk as it comes up - it chips the tile.  lay the grinder well over and work away from the line as you go down and then clean up at the end.  Play with some offcuts).

I hate it when you've still got Q a bit of adhesive left - too much to throw away, but you really want to quit!

Looks good. :)

Yeah I was looking at videos of it being done with an angle grinder. 

Started to make a little combined jig for the shower valve and hose outlet as the grit holesaws have no pilot drill. 

21 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

I managed to track down the tiler we used in our last build and he is now on board, through the trade account I got fast set flexible adhesive for £10.95 a 20kg bag(plus vat)

Maybe a bit of topic was in my local CTD yesterday picking up tiles and was reading some of the "perks" of being trade, one of which you get 15% back if your customer buys tiles from them "even if you don't fix them"......  For whats its worth TP have mapie flexible grey ahesive at £9.65 plus vat collect or £10.60 plus vat del.

With that CTD deal I think the customers get 20% list as well.  That adhesive is cheap - 20kg?

I'm going to avoid fast set with my next purchase - it just goes off too fast & you end up wasting time mixing small quantities and cleaning down far too often.  Worth paying more per bag for a slow setting one.  Paid £16 incl VAT for some last time but need it to be white rather than dark for the walls.

Grinder works well @Onoff - just practice a bit first.  I cut all the floor tiles around the curved shower tray using one - slow & steady.  I didn't use any water before you ask.

And it's goodnight from him! :)

Must get new glasses, the full tile 2nd in from the right, 3 up is slightly to the left at the mitre. Think I went wrong at the mosaic on the right. Didn't see it until too late! 

2018-09-16_10-43-03

Reckon the bed is between 6 - 8mm on these tiles.

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

And it's goodnight from him! :)

Must get new glasses, the full tile 2nd in from the right, 3 up is slightly to the left at the mitre. Think I went wrong at the mosaic on the right. Didn't see it until too late! 

Reckon the bed is between 6 - 8mm on these tiles.

Grout will save the day.

Looking good so far. ?

The time approaches when I'm going to tile over this shower valve (not the best pic):

2018-09-16_07-56-32

I didn't use the tanking membrane tape over it but had planned on just keeping the adhesive bed say 1" away all around and leaving the bottom open as per @Nickfromwales instruction.

Seeing though, where I've drawn on the rough tile position and where the top of that tile is makes me think I perhaps should have membraned over it? If nothing else it should stop the adhesive encroaching on the valve gubbins.

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, CC45 said:

Cutting that tile will be a steady old job - too much beans and the tile might snap. Ive got the same valve but 2 tiles span it - easier cutting.

White grout planned?

Yes, white grout. Nothing happening tonight, so knackered I'll screw up something...else! :)