Tiling...many questions

Onoff

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Aluminium would corrode far too quick I reckon and SWMBO would quickly rub off any anodising! Might stand a chance with 316 st/st.

Anything that doesn’t survive being sprayed with bleach and rubbed to death is a no no in a bathroom ?

Still putting off the tiling! 

About to protect the floor in preparation for wall tiling if the stack of Correx up the garden will clean up with hose down & scrub up. This'll be laid down and stuck to itself a couple of inches away from the wall but not stuck to the floor tiles themselves.

Possibly before I do that though I have this spray:

20180818_100927

Anyone used it or similar?

20180818_100838

20180818_100910

Question is apply this now or after the wall is done? Just concerned that when I wash down the walls after grouting some of the white grout residue from the wall will mess up the grey floor grout if I don't.

I’ve been looking at lots of tiles but retail outlets seem to be so much more expensive than online, I’ve had lots of samples from Tilesporcelain and have picked out the ones I like for kitchen, utility and downstairs bathroom, my problem is by the time I get all the flexible adhesive and sealer I’m on 3 pallets costing £150 carriage and my £2k worth of tiles are going to cost nearly £4K with all the add ons is there anywhere I can buy the adhesive under £15 a bag?

6 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

I’ve been looking at lots of tiles but retail outlets seem to be so much more expensive than online, I’ve had lots of samples from Tilesporcelain and have picked out the ones I like for kitchen, utility and downstairs bathroom, my problem is by the time I get all the flexible adhesive and sealer I’m on 3 pallets costing £150 carriage and my £2k worth of tiles are going to cost nearly £4K with all the add ons is there anywhere I can buy the adhesive under £15 a bag?

Don't know where you are but I'm paying £11 a bag inc the dreaded. I'm collecting though.

• Like 1

A thought...

The shower valve is centred on a grout line. 

20180813_170947

As shown on the model:

20180105_231041

I've NOT put Aqua Seal tape over it in any way. It'll have the 7  to 5 o'clock bead of EBT with the bottom open. I guess I'll be reliant on the grout?

Why can't I stick a bit of tape over it now and if it does need servicing then I just have to remove the tiles / cut the tape?

Edited by Onoff

Just trying to make reasonable, uploadable shots off AutoCAD.....and failing. Just can't get on with 2010.....

The reason being, I need the mosaic tile cut to nominally 124.83mm, we'll call it "125mm" - the yellow bit on the rhs of the screen shot below. This to go floor to ceiling:

image.png.f872413f66debf60de6492688ac9aa50.png

corner-Model

I can either cut the tiles and use them vertically to get the 125mm but I'll only get one out of a tile. It might look out of place too with the main tiles that are the same size as the mosaics and laid horizontally:

20180818_232327

Or this way which is probably better. I'll get two bits of 125mm mosaic from each tile. Assuming to keep the false grout line:

20180818_232352

Having an @zoothorn moment(s)! :)

No actual tiling today, house full of kids from a sleepover. The high pitched screaming and yelling is doing nothing for the headache and lack of sleep!

Also, how to best cut these and retain the false grout line, Rubi score 'n snap or wet cut?

Edited by Onoff

Just spoken to the water jet cutters. They'll take 22 of the mosaics off of me and take 125mm off both ends of each one to 0.5mm accuracy for £60. That'll give me 44 tiles to do the strips up each side of the wet room corner.

20180818_232352

Getting another price from the other local place.

Edited by Onoff

Time to chase or find the almonds then ?. I still don’t know what you’re stressing about. How hard can it be? Why do you have to cut the mosaics? To line them up with the floor tiles or something? 

At this point I am baffled why @Onoff isn't just tiling his bathroom.

Cutting tiles that are already around 2cm square to make them smaller seems everso slightly unnecessary.

What is going to happen is that the other end of the design will be out by another 7.23mm and he will have to profile them with a nail file.

Lord help him if he ever buys cafetiere coffee for an Expresso machine by mistake.

F

• Haha 1