Tiling...many questions

Onoff

29 minutes ago, PeterW said:

.... is this so she doesn't have to talk to him as much...??? 

I was at one point going to merge the two bathroom threads but you have to do it so it interleaves the responses and at nearly 100 pages in both......

Is it too late to start a blog? :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, PeterW said:

.... is this so she doesn't have to talk to him as much...??? 

Er no, I don’t think it’s attention to detail in the DIY sense that he was meaning ?. More a pas de deux ?

3 hours ago, newhome said:

And do you have (roof)light yet? ?

Do actually !

All 4 are in ; 3 have been mastik’d 

This ‘special ‘ Mastik is a dog - cures in 10 mins . So mastik less than perfect . But this is external walk on - so can be forgiven like your floor grouting ???

CE3FE6FF-FBBC-44FA-9B3C-2E1DC963AC9E.jpeg

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pocster said:

Do actually !

All 4 are in ; 3 have been mastik’d 

This ‘special ‘ Mastik is a dog - cures in 10 mins . So mastik less than perfect . But this is external walk on - so can be forgiven like your floor grouting ???

CE3FE6FF-FBBC-44FA-9B3C-2E1DC963AC9E.jpeg

Is it 2-pack? I've see some structural silicon used at work. Gun runs off a compressor! 

Back on thread! 

Died down about 15 M10 bolts:

20180816_095102

Level wise it's there or thereabouts and I've infinite adjustment to get it spot on:

20180816_174314

I remade the short bit for the mitre just now, this time with 22.5deg ends (also re-did the mitres again on the long lengths). A wing nut, bolt & two penny washers allow me to clamp the abutting sections.

20180816_174401

Edited by Onoff

I'm thinking I need to lay tiles on the mitre section first say 4 high then work sideways from that. The vertical grout line either side needs to look pucker!

2018-08-16_09-33-02

(Horizontal line sitting slightly low as the laser is sitting on the wet room corner slope).

Edit: Or do I just lay as many as I can, say 4 high as far as I have the angle support, and "shuffle" them laterally afterwards?

&...walls are nice and plumb...

-6mm or 10mm notched trowel? 

- Butter tile and wall?  Butter wall first horizontally then tile vertically?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

The chap I wanted to do my tiling says he butters the back of wall tiles - his attitude is why not?  Waiting for a bath and filler to arrive so I can finish the hole drilling in the floor - then tiling starts!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I'm thinking I need to lay tiles on the mitre section first say 4 high then work sideways from that. The vertical grout line either side needs to look pucker!

2018-08-16_09-33-02

(Horizontal line sitting slightly low as the laser is sitting on the wet room corner slope).

Edit: Or do I just lay as many as I can, say 4 high as far as I have the angle support, and "shuffle" them laterally afterwards?

&...walls are nice and plumb...

-6mm or 10mm notched trowel? 

- Butter tile and wall?  Butter wall first horizontally then tile vertically?

Cheers

6mm on a wall, 10mm is floor

I think you’ll have problems if you don’t lay a course at a time 

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

6mm on a wall, 10mm is floor

I think you’ll have problems if you don’t lay a course at a time 

Thanks. Tbh getting consistent lines either side of the mitre is my biggest worry.  I think as a focal point that is the make or break whether this looks a good job.

I'm going to knock up another angle and extend the "Cheapchecker" under the window tonight. If I then go a course at a time I can do the whole of the wc and window walls encompassing the wet room corner and pockets.

2018-08-17_06-12-02

- MUST NOT FORGET TO PRIME WALLS

:)

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Thanks. Tbh getting consistent lines either side of the mitre is my biggest worry.  I think as a focal point that is the make or break whether this looks a good job.

I'm going to knock up another angle and extend the "Cheapchecker" under the window tonight. If I then go a course at a time I can do the whole of the wc and window walls encompassing the wet room corner and pockets.

2018-08-17_06-12-02

:)

Dont forget to prime walls

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

- MUST NOT FORGET TO PRIME WALL

JUST BEFORE YOU START TILING AND DON’T TAKE EONS TO FINISH IT. 

On the mitred section I'd have a groutline up the middle and do that out of two part tiles. 

Lay the two walls to the left / right and leave to dry. Then tackle the mitres wall cutting the tiles to suit each course and pushing them corner by corner, filing as required, to get the lines and gaps perfect. 

If you do it the way your proposing you'll end up causing issues with the main wall grout lines as you try and steal from those and snug them over.

Tiles don't stretch and groutlines don't move. Get the two walls up first and make sure 1000% that you stay plumb as you ascend. ?

2 hours ago, newhome said:

JUST BEFORE YOU START TILING AND DON’T TAKE EONS TO FINISH IT. 

Very rough plan is:

- Tile saw set up and test

- Rubi cutter set up

- Correx the floor 

- Prime 4 tiles high

- Spread right to left window and wc walls 

- Butter tiles vertically 

- Push tile on

- Spacers

- Do 4 rows, drilling for shower outlet and cutting around flush plate and 3-way valve

- Stop

- BEER

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

On the mitred section I'd have a groutline up the middle and do that out of two part tiles. 

Ain't gonna happen. Will look fugly as. Aka I'll learn by my mistakes! :)

21 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You mean a full tile in the middle and then two "I've never looked so out of place

in my entire life" skinny rips up either side ? 

? ? ?

Like this. A bit misleading as there'll not be rips in the photo up the lhs mosaic. The mosaics will start after two tiles from the mitre:

20180105_231041

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Like this. A bit misleading as there'll not be rips in the photo up the lhs mosaic. The mosaics will start after two tiles from the mitre:

Good plan. Mosaic into a corner is hard. I was starting with not very flat walls so I'm not too displeased with my first attempt at tiling except at the corner:

dscf0279-medium.jpg

• Like 1