Tiling...many questions

Onoff

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Git! :) I've been thinking the row from the top of bottom? 2nd in from left or right?

One born every minute! 9_9:D Eegit!

Are you sure you went to grammar school? :)

OK people, how best to cut this square out? 

20180719_212348

The cuts from the edge I can do on the wet saw, it's the joining line I'm stuck on! Score with the Rubi? Cut freehand with the small angle grinder? And should I maybe drill a hole each end with the arrow head bit to stop the "crack" when it goes?

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Grinder across the bridge and then two wet cuts in. 

Will probably go that way if I've a non serrated diamond disc that small. Come to think of it I've still got a bunch of those tungsten carbide grit jigsaw bits you recommended ages ago. I'm thinking they could come in handy!

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Sabre+%26+Jigsaw+Blades/sd2581/Tungsten+Carbide+Grit+Jigsaw+Blades/p67688

1 hour ago, CC45 said:

Its 2018 mate. Where have you been?

My 18v makita grinder with a diamond blade vs you huffing and puffing as you make squiggly lines ? 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Will probably go that way if I've a non serrated diamond disc that small

Mine is serrated and flew through the 900mm x 450mm porcelain im currently battling with. Cut the letterbox out for the shower valve in under 2 minutes. 

Zoom Zoom. 

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Its 2018 mate. Where have you been?

My 18v makita grinder with a diamond blade vs you huffing and puffing as you make squiggly lines ? 

Mine is serrated and flew through the 900mm x 450mm porcelain im currently battling with. Cut the letterbox out for the shower valve in under 2 minutes. 

Zoom Zoom. 

Do you mask the tile to be cut with the grinder? Numpty question maybe, just thinking if the cutting debris can damage the tile surface.

Do you ever clamp say a wooden fence to the tile to act as a cutting fence for the diamond blade to run against?

Dry cut I assume so a little dusty I imagine! Does it get a squirt from a plant spray or anything?

54 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

No masking, water, or fence. Just more almonds ;)  

Dusty, yes. 

Hopefully this'll do the trick!

2018-07-21_09-37-33

It was easier than looking for one in the garage! :

All done (dry) bar the shouting!

20180721_122938

Now this tile could be a pita:

20180721_153628

The edge is sitting on just the eps upstand!

There'll be the door frame goes on here. Some of that red brick needs to go to let the frame in:

20180721_153703

So the tile fits on I'm just worried it's not supported:

20180721_153748

The other side shows how the door frame will sit:

20180721_153958

Not sure how far I'm going into the doorway or whether that's it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, newhome said:

Looks great! When does it go down for real? 

You sound like SWMBO! :)

Dunno, it all has to come up with the cut tiles getting numbered. I've got to fill in a void at the back of the cupboard, cap off/divert the old incoming 15mm main to the Geberit wc, pressure test the towel rad piping. Then tank. Hopefully all within the next 7-10 days...

39 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

This is a good thread @Onoff very instructive and I see a top looking result on the horizon...

Ta. The intent was a warts 'n all "instructive" thing.

I was mulling "how to" lay the tiles on the adhesive bed. I know some favour Tilemate type systems. Gut feel tells me I can do this organically and just "feel" what's right as I lay them as in with a level and a tap-tap here etc.

Edited by Onoff