Cost of creating 20 meters of site access driveway.

epsilonGreedy

38 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Same goes with the dumper. They are very dangerous bits of kit. They can tip over if you are not careful. 

+1

I nearly got bounced off one going over what seemed like a reasonably small bump at moderate speed. I hadn't strapped in because I was only moving it a short way, but it gave me new respect for what those big bouncy tyres could potentially do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jack said:

I nearly got bounced off one going over what seemed like a reasonably small bump at moderate speed. I hadn't strapped in because I was only moving it a short way, but it gave me new respect for what those big bouncy tyres could potentially do.

Good tip, duly noted and will be added to her safety briefing. She has taken to the cement mixer like a duck to water and calls herself the Mary Berry of mortar mixing.

• Like 1

Ok I’m a little scared. Please take this on board. 

Please please do not hire a 1 ton high tip dumper. 

They are BLOODY DANGEROUS 

hire a 3 tonne dumper they are very stable and you will have to be very silly to tip it over. 

The high tip 1 tonners fall over if you just look at them funny. 

Unless you have a very narrow site the 3 tonne one is easier to load as the bucket is bigger. 

Just as a thought... can you not get the digger one weekend and do all the clearing and then the next week get the MoT1 delivered ..? Get the driver to reverse up and empty half the load and then do a tip and run with the rest to spread it down the drive. You’ll have a few high spots to deal with but nothing too bad and no manual shifting with the dumper. 

MOT type 1 can vary a lot. We used crushed limestone which contained some dust and was a bit sticky. After being driven on, rained on and baked in the sun it was set up like concrete. Only put it were you really need it or you will need another digger to remove it. It can form a water proof layer so potential run off issue. If you have any trees nearby they might suffer. I suspect it's quite Alkaline? Not sure how other versions like crushed concrete behave.

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Hire a wacker plate as well?

BUY one.  I got one for £150.  It would have cost something like £30 per half day hire.  Oh and I have already hired it out twice and recovered half my purchase cost.

Trust me when I say experienced digger drivers make it look simple! Maybe I'm too simple, but it took me a while to get used to the controls and getting the bucket going where I want and to the right depth when scraping - I personally would just get someone in to do it if I hadn't had a fair bit of time to learn the controls.

• 1 month later...
On 14/02/2018 at 17:58, PeterW said:

muck away £180

JCB half day £120

roller half day £65

MoT1 £235

Value..? £600... however I would say it’s worth a lot more in terms of a clean entrance and access to site.

Follow up: The job was completed last week and @PeterW gets the prize for the best estimate of £600.

The original offer was a rough hardcore plot drive assumed to be 20m long x 3m wide and the plot seller offered to include this for an extra £2000 in the sale price. I was temped but declined.

The job I commissioned was for 150m2 of leveled hardcore standing including a shaped curved drive to road ramp, parking area outside the garage and preparation of the future internal patio 8m x 6.5m bounded on 3 sides by the l-shaped house and garage. The average scrape back of the topsoil was 125mm and the final make up of the finished drive next year will be 250mm, there was also a 5m x 4m shallow that needed extra filling.

My digger man estimated 16 tons of big lumpy 4" clean for the dip plus 40 tons of 2" clean for the whole area. He negotiated with the aggregate supplier for this to be delivered in stages during the job so it would be dropped directly into the scraped area.

Final bill was £825+VAT for 3 lorry loads of hardcore plus £450 for the digger + dumper time. A generous split of 50% of the job for the original basic drive gets very close to that £600 estimate.

Muck-away was free because a local farmer wanted my top quality turfy topsoil.

• Like 2