Floor Levelling - what to do and what not to do?

LeanTwo

I'm at the stage where I'm going to use a floor levelling compound and would appreciate any advice or information.

I have approximately 20 square meters of a floor to level in my new kitchen/diner.  Part is finished in the existing quarry tiles and part in the new floor slab.  There is a damp proof membrane under the floor that conforms to building regulations. The variance in height from low to high is about 20mm.  The plasterboard/skim is in place and I have left a minimum 25 mm gap between the floor and the plasterboard.  No dot and dab is showing under the boards to bridge the gap.

Once in place, an engineered wood floor will be laid.

Looking at the Mapei website the Ultraplan Maxi looks like it will work given the height differences on my floor.

http://www.mapei.com/public/GB/products/510- ultraplanmaxi-uk.pdf

I'd be really grateful for any points to watch out for, product recommendations, things to do and things not to (Like making sure I don't end up in the corner with no door!); techniques for laying and finishing, mixing, handy tools etc. I will, of course, read the product instructions carefully!  Also, should I think about adding another damp proof membrane to the formula on top of the floor levelling before the flooring goes down? 

Hi

make sure the floor  is clean and free of dust

Paint the floor with two coats of SBR Which will seal the floor and help the levelling compound adhere to the floor

You can mix this at around six part water to one part SBR and simply pour it onto the floor and brush it in with a sweeping brush

Let it dry then do the same again

When it is completely dry 

you can ad the levelling compound 

Mix it to a custard like texture 

Pour it on the floor at the furthest point from the door and spread it out as you go

Any of the levelling compounds will be ok 

As long as it has added fibres 

I found that Everbuild is really good and a reasonably priced

hope this helps.  Gary

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you have finished your project or not? Let us know.

If not I have done lots of this ( ask me why - old house).

My tips:

1.spend lots of time prepping

2. Use long level bars with spirit level to get an idea of your worst areas and biggest hollows - mark with builders pencil to help as a guide.

3. Fill in anyplace where the product could drain through -  it is quite likely to if it can.

4. Buy more than you need as calculation isn't easy.  and store correctly until needed. And buy a decent product.

5. Get proper big builders buckets marked with number of litres.  a smaller one for water and a bigger one for the mix.

6. Rent or buy an electric mixer - a bit added on to an electric drill won't cut it.

7. Plan where you will mix as it should be as near to the area you work as possible.  things do get messy- hide your partner if she/he is sensitive to mess.

8. Make edges at rooms as it can overflow when poured out.

9. Buy spiked shoes - those for making holes in lawns work fine.  then you can walk in the mix.  practise walking with them first and use a wide gait.  be careful they can be very dangerous 

10. Consider a 2nd person.  it is intensive when you get started and with cleaning the mixer etc you can get stressed.  highly recommended.

11. Buy a long handled wide plastic blade.  although it's self levelling it does help to make it go in the right direction.

12. Don't mix more than half a bag at a time.  with the weight of this and the water the bucket can get super heavy or you find you have no space left to mix.  it tends to rise up a lot when mixing.

13. Consider doing it in 2 stages - deeper areas first then the following day a 2nd level to complete.

14. I should have added that if you are adding a lot check the loading.  20mm over a room with a weak suspended floor could be dodgy.  The weight can add up!

I may have forgotten something but feel free to ask more.

And good luck 007

Great write up Mr B, i have a hope to one day level my very uneven kitchen floor...... in reality i should dig it up and insulate it first but  other priorities are making me look at stop gap measures / quick fix for a 3 year period until ive got my other projects under control.  

9 hours ago, Cpd said:

Great write up Mr B, i have a hope to one day level my very uneven kitchen floor...... in reality i should dig it up and insulate it first but  other priorities are making me look at stop gap measures / quick fix for a 3 year period until ive got my other projects under control.  

I feel your pain.  the three years always seem to slip by and the damm problem is still there.  Yes getting the insulation done first would be preferable.  Buy a small stove, set up a temporary kitchen, send the family away for 2 weeks.  seal up for dust and off you go.   Or save up, pay someone and then go on holiday whilst it's done.  it's massive disruption and the ladies don't care for that sort of thing.....