How much to insall a sewage treatment plant?

vivienz

My groundworks quotes are starting to come in and I haven't had a chance to get to grips with SPONS yet to see what sort of prices I should be expecting to pay.

One particular item that seems to be coming out expensive is the sewage treatment plant.  I have an old septic tank that needs to be dug out, the hole dug for the new one, new plant put in and linked up to the soil pipe run, concreted in and covered over.  Not necessarily in that order.  The digger will also need to take the new plant off the delivery lorry and put it into the hole.

Can anyone give me an idea of ballpark figures on this?  It's entirely possible that I'm just naive as to how much these things should cost.

I've just checked our ground works cost breakdown.  We bought the treatment plant, which was £2200, but that price was because we needed a pumped outlet.  IIRC, the basic model with gravity drainage was around £1800.  Our ground works guy charged us £850 to install it, but that includes digging a trench across a lane for the pumped outlet, as well as digging the hole and "planting" the thing properly in it (we went for a concrete ring ground anchor, just in case the water table came up when the thing was being emptied).

So all in, purchase and installation should cost around £3k I would have thought, especially if you don't have to trench under highways.  Those costs reflect the facts that we already had diggers on site for the main works on site and that I had already paid a highways licence to dig across the lane for a power cable duct (the duct and the treatment plant outlet were both put in on the same day).

If you need an extensive leach field system to be put in place for the land drains, then you may incur additional cost, depending on how big this needs to be.  We had no room for a leach field and the soil was impermeable anyway, so we pump ours out to the stream alongside the lane.

1 hour ago, vivienz said:

My groundworks quotes are starting to come in and I haven't had a chance to get to grips with SPONS yet to see what sort of prices I should be expecting to pay.

One particular item that seems to be coming out expensive is the sewage treatment plant.  I have an old septic tank that needs to be dug out, the hole dug for the new one, new plant put in and linked up to the soil pipe run, concreted in and covered over.  Not necessarily in that order.  The digger will also need to take the new plant off the delivery lorry and put it into the hole.

Can anyone give me an idea of ballpark figures on this?  It's entirely possible that I'm just naive as to how much these things should cost.

1800 is exactly what we paid for ours 

spons is ok as a rough guide 

But they seem to calculate on prices based on a hourly rate

Groundworks never are 

You May find one company is exspensive on this but cheaper on other things

It very difficult to find a groundwork company that want a one off job

So they tend to price higher for self builds 

Thanks all, very helpful. It confirms my thoughts that he's coming in very expensive, in excess of £5k. He iscquoting for the whole groundworks job, not just the sewage plant and the rest of the quote is pricey, given that we can lose most of the spoil on site.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is the septic a concrete one or fiberglass one ..?? If it’s concrete and properly cleaned and suctioned out  can you not just crush the lid and edges off it and bury it ..??

Good Sugestion 

we had two to depose of and did exactly that 

Saved is quite a bit in concrete 

2 hours ago, vivienz said:

Nothing is being retained. Everything that's there will de demolished/dug out and lost on site as far as possible and taken away if not. It's not a difficult site, either, flat and easy access.

Well if you're being quoted £5k for the whole job inc a new soakaway, that's a fair bit less than I ended up paying.

I installed mine myself with the help of SWMBO  It was only a couple of hours to dig the hole (I had my own digger at the time) and put the tank in the hole. We then spent the rest of that day and all the next day mixing barrowing and pouring concrete.  Another day in the digger saw the rest of the drains laid.  We are discharging to a burn so no leach field.

In our last house we hired a digger and driver and he did the whole lot in 3 days including an 85 square metre leach field.