Fermacell vs backer board in bathroom

divorcingjack

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

What did you use to cut it?? Would a diamond tipped blade in a grinder do the job.

Do you have to use special screws with it that cut into it??

I used a circular saw with a TCT blade but it ruined it eventually and I pre-drilled and countersunk all the screw holes and used s/s screws.

On thd Aquapanel I used normal Starrett hole saws for the circular bits. I used carbide grit jigsaw blades for the square cut out as recommend by @Nickfromwales:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Sabre+%26+Jigsaw+Blades/sd2581/Tungsten+Carbide+Grit+Jigsaw+Blades/p67688

No need to countersink the Aquapanel as the screws themselves do it.

Edited by Onoff

Thanks for all the replies on this, very helpful, chaps. Spent an eye watering afternoon yesterday pricing up Aquapanel, Hardiebacker and Marmox boards. I assume 12.5mm is the thing to use? Some above I notice have done a mix of Aquapanel and MR plasterboard in less "at risk" areas. Is this reasonable, or should we really just do the whole lot in Aquapanel/hardie/marmox and then tank over everything? 

Cheers, 

dj 

PS: If anyone has seen any good deals on this stuff, I'd be most appreciative :)

2 hours ago, divorcingjack said:

Thanks for all the replies on this, very helpful, chaps. Spent an eye watering afternoon yesterday pricing up Aquapanel, Hardiebacker and Marmox boards. I assume 12.5mm is the thing to use? Some above I notice have done a mix of Aquapanel and MR plasterboard in less "at risk" areas. Is this reasonable, or should we really just do the whole lot in Aquapanel/hardie/marmox and then tank over everything? 

Cheers, 

dj 

PS: If anyone has seen any good deals on this stuff, I'd be most appreciative :)

You can use any thickness of the marmox, dependant on how much insulation/VCL effect you want from the product, obviously the thicker it is the better, but all thicknesses are suitable for tile finish.

You don't need any tanking with Marmox, its ready to use once fixed, and is far less vapour open than the other products mentioned, which do let water vapour through despite being waterproof.

• Thanks 2