Where are all the SIPs suppliers???

Hey everyone,

From my thread nearly a year ago, I have yet to implement my garage build. What I have decided is to convert the approved outbuilding to a garden office instead (I got big plot, so parking wont be an issue with LA). Already spoke with Case officer and he suggested a variation of a condition to replace the garage, I will keep the same external dimensions but will change the roof to perhaps a flat roof design and add a couple of windows.

What I have not being able to get is a quotation for the panels. I have written about 7 companies I found on a google search, only one has actually replied, is there anyone in the forum representing a SIPs company willing to sell me stuff? :D

20 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

apparently you can render straight on top of them?

I agree that its would be 'possible' however it would be a really bad idea to render directly onto the outside surface of any SIPS system or timber frame wall construction, even ones faced with a cement based board.

It's a much better idea in the wet climate that we have here in the UK to use a rainscreen in front of the SIPS. The rainscreen should create a ventilated cavity between the SIPS and the rainscreen layer.

In British Columbia, Canada between 1985 and 2000 approx 50% of all buildings that were rendered directly onto timber framed external walls have subsequently failed. The repair costs exceed $4 billion. They subsequently altered their building codes to make rainscreen construction mandatory for timber bulidings.

Google link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_condo_crisis

Edited by Ian
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ian said:

I agree that its would be 'possible' however it would be a really bad idea to render directly onto the outside surface of any SIPS system or timber frame wall construction, even ones faced with a cement based board.

It's a much better idea in the wet climate that we have here in the UK to use a rainscreen in front of the SIPS. The rainscreen should create a ventilated cavity between the SIPS and the rainscreen layer.

In British Columbia, Canada between 1985 and 2000 approx 50% of all buildings that were rendered directly onto timber framed external walls have subsequently failed. The repair costs exceed $4 billion. They subsequently altered their building codes to make rainscreen construction mandatory for timber bulidings.

Google link:

Good info, thanks!

@Plumbersmateuk sent an email right after my last post and Rod already got in touch, impressive timing :) 

Daft as it sounds .... use the cement boarded ones inside out. 

It’s like Fermacell and does a pretty decent finish - skim it if you want and use surface mounted electrics etc. 

And on the outside you can then batten and rain screen as per @Ian

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Daft as it sounds .... use the cement boarded ones inside out. 

It’s like Fermacell and does a pretty decent finish - skim it if you want and use surface mounted electrics etc. 

And on the outside you can then batten and rain screen as per @Ian

I assume both faces are similar so no need to use them inside out?

20 hours ago, hmpmarketing said:

Good info, thanks!

I found him very helpful. When the time comes I am going to pay him a visit as he has given me a provisional quote on a 2 1/2 storey house.

Having said that I have a couple of others that I intend to get quotes from and visit.

21 hours ago, Ian said:

Yes I was concerned about this, I have tried to find as much information on SIP's failing as I can.  I do have a list of questions to put to the companies when/if I visit them.

6 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

I found him very helpful. When the time comes I am going to pay him a visit as he has given me a provisional quote on a 2 1/2 storey house.

Having said that I have a couple of others that I intend to get quotes from and visit.

Yes I was concerned about this, I have tried to find as much information on SIP's failing as I can.  I do have a list of questions to put to the companies when/if I visit them.

@oranjeboom has given me a contact for a SIPs supplier, he has already sorted most of these issues I had asked him about, so @Plumbersmateuk let me know if you need the contact

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:05, John F2352 said:

Hi guys,

If this post is still live let me know as I can advise accordingly.

JF

Retired Chairman

Superior SIPs

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:49, Ian said:

Google link:

Hi All, Im interested in SIP build. And have been told the MGO board type of SIP is waterproof and also structurally sound. Does anyone have any advice if MGO type SIP is the real deal even in Northern Ireland kind of wet weather?  Also comparing costs - would MGO SIP be cheaper as we would just need to render on the outside? as opposed to a traditional SIP which will need another external layer of skin (i.e block work).  

8 hours ago, Deep said:

Hi All, Im interested in SIP build. And have been told the MGO board type of SIP is waterproof and also structurally sound. Does anyone have any advice if MGO type SIP is the real deal even in Northern Ireland kind of wet weather?  Also comparing costs - would MGO SIP be cheaper as we would just need to render on the outside? as opposed to a traditional SIP which will need another external layer of skin (i.e block work).  

I'm not convinced that there is a real-life benefit in using a MGO SIP panel compared to a normal OSB faced SIP panel. I've no direct experience of MGO SIP but I assume they will still be reliant on timber in their construction for certain structural elements such as the soleplate for example and so they should still have the external render with a ventilated void between the render and the SIP panels.

A short time ago I came across some stuff on issues that had been encountered with MgO boards.  The main problem seems to be chlorides coming from MgO when it gets damp, leading to corrosion of fasteners and failure of the board.  A web search will quickly find some evidence that MgO boards do seem to have some issues.  Take a read of this, for example: http://www.quitahumedades.com/en/blog-en/tips-and-tricks/worst-construction-scandal-in-decades .  In the USA MgO is referred to as "Chinese drywall" and has a pretty dire reputation now.

This is the paper on the Danish issues with MgO: MSSCE2016_Word_208.pdf

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

A short time ago I came across some stuff on issues that had been encountered with MgO boards.  The main problem seems to be chlorides coming from MgO when it gets damp, leading to corrosion of fasteners and failure of the board.  A web search will quickly find some evidence that MgO boards do seem to have some issues.  Take a read of this, for example: http://www.quitahumedades.com/en/blog-en/tips-and-tricks/worst-construction-scandal-in-decades .  In the USA MgO is referred to as "Chinese drywall" and has a pretty dire reputation now.

This is the paper on the Danish issues with MgO: MSSCE2016_Word_208.pdf

I also keep an eye on usa forum and there have been some real disasters with people using chinese non canada/usa  certified MGO board 

http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/5/aft/85634/afv/topic/Default.aspx

.I also agree that in this country to penny pinch and render directly on to it

just  asking for trouble -

our climate is far to damp to be taking chances --strap it out with air gap and clad with whatever ,or render it 

I would say  the same for OSB sips as well

don,t really see any advantage in it for uk 

in  afrcia where bugs eat everything --yes

Edited by scottishjohn

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, GlynM said:

Hi Coul you PM the contact also, I'm interested in getting a SIP quote for my project.

You prob won't get a reply - that post is well old and having looked at the users profile they haven't logged in for a long time.

There are loads of SIPs companies out there if you are after a quote - just send them your plans and they will likely send you a price.  Likewise there are loads of TF companies which will do the same.

Is it specifically SIP you are after?

• 2 years later...
On 20/02/2019 at 09:00, scottishjohn said:

I also keep an eye on usa forum and there have been some real disasters with people using chinese non canada/usa  certified MGO board 

http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/5/aft/85634/afv/topic/Default.aspx

.I also agree that in this country to penny pinch and render directly on to it

just  asking for trouble -

our climate is far to damp to be taking chances --strap it out with air gap and clad with whatever ,or render it 

I would say  the same for OSB sips as well

don,t really see any advantage in it for uk 

in  afrcia where bugs eat everything --yes

FYI

With effect from 15th April 2020, LABC Warranty no longer accept the use of all types of Magnesium Oxide board (MgO) on any of our structural warranty schemes. For any new scheme registered with LABC Warranty, Update  

https://www.labcwarranty.co.uk/blog/updated-guidance-for-magnesium-oxide-boards-mgo/

• 1 month later...

I found them very usefull. Hovewer they don't offer yet "off shelf products". You need to request a quote. Within 30 min I had a nice deal. They could not deliver 8x4 boards outside M25 but London  was not an issue for them.

https://insulationgo.co.uk/sip-bonded-to-eps70-plydeck-plywood-pir-sandwitched-panels-sip-sandwitch-panel-eps70-pir-london-online-uk-xtratherm-kingspan-recticel-109mm-59mm-106mm-56mm-24mm-21mm-99mm-89mm-structural-insulated-panels-plylock-2400-x-1200-ply-osb-deck/