60 Year Old Water Main

Onoff

• 1 year later...

Wow! Has it been that long?

Awoke to find the mains water to the house frozen. Still, I should I guess have back filled the trench properly by now! :ph34r: It was 700mm deep but just has a covering of sand and whatever has fallen in since.

I've kept meaning to lay the CCTV duct over the top before I filled it in...but haven't. Again, :ph34r: 

Just hoping when it thaws there's no lasting damage.

Did half wonder, as the pipe is in a duct whether I could introduce some warm/hot air into it via maybe a vacuum cleaner set to blow? The issue might be at this stop cock just inboard of the boundary.....hot air gun on "gentle"?

2016-10-02_05-56-02

Or from the house end maybe, though that could be a problem as I forced down a 1m length of 22mm lagging where the MDPE comes up through the footings:

SAM_4099

We can always melt snow! :)

Thinking about it I tried the bathroom cold upstairs and that's NOT on mains...was half asleep! Guess frozen in loft by tank. Can't remember if I tried the kitchen cold which is obviously mains. I'll get SWMBO to put upstairs and downstairs heat on constant. Guess last nights bath and showers emptied the cylinder of hot. Don't know if it's then filled back up with cold...it wouldn't have / won't if the mains up the garden is frozen. If the dowstairs loo fills after flushing then it means the mains coming in is OK, at least to there.

2016-10-17_07-53-12

It was pretty cold when I came out this morning. 9 miles took 50 minutes!

20180228_045053.thumb.jpg.9a02efb2fbb976046de2272e5fb30f7f.jpg

Just now, ProDave said:

You are just getting a normal Highland night. Nothing unusual about -12 had plenty of those this year.

Now this "beast from the East" has arrived up here, it's a balmy -5 and 6" of very dry powdery snow.

-19 is the worst I can remember here.

5 minutes ago, le-cerveau said:

I walked to work in -19 this morning (standard) but I am in Latvia (proper Baltic!)

It get up to -11 during the day and in other areas -30 is standard, Riga is fairly mild.

Yeah, but I'm a soft, southern, shandy drinking poof who likes his onesie! :)

:ph34r:

Erm.....issue appears to be an airlock. I forgot if you use the upstairs shower and run the bath downstairs then the upstairs basin and wc cold feeds stop.

Sam_4935_1

Only way at the mo to get the cold to en suite basin and en suite wc running again is to "bleed" via the new cold to bath.

Think it's something to do with the 25gal cws tank?

Edited by Onoff