Kitchen Sink feed pipes - how far apart?

LeanTwo

I'm going to fit a single mixer tap to my kitchen sink when it arrives but wanted to get started on the required plumbing. With separate hot and cold taps, they seem to be a fairly standard 180mm apart.  However, if I'm supplying hot and cold water to a mixer then how close should the feed pipes be?  Is there a recognised standard?  Maybe there are flexible connectors available so it's not so important to set a precise distance?

Will I need to have a balance between the hot and cold supply pressures or will the tap do this for me?

Any information or advice would be great!

Thanks for the reply Onoff.  I've just seen some flexible connectors, with a built-in isolating valve from Wicks online.  500mm long so should do the job well.  Any advice on balancing pressures or including a non-return valve in the system?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Flexible-Compression-Connector-With-Isolating-Valve---15-x-12-x-500mm/p/160137

22 minutes ago, LeanTwo said:

Thanks for the reply Onoff.  I've just seen some flexible connectors, with a built-in isolating valve from Wicks online.  500mm long so should do the job well.  

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Flexible-Compression-Connector-With-Isolating-Valve---15-x-12-x-500mm/p/160137

If your buying a mixer tap it'll likely be supplied with 10mm x 1/2" flexis. Hold off buying anything until you get the tap. ;)

22 minutes ago, LeanTwo said:

Any advice on balancing pressures

Do you have a combi / UVC?

1 hour ago, LeanTwo said:

Thanks for the reply Nickfromwales and yes, I'll hold off buying until I get the tap!  

We heat water on Economy 7, plus with a small water jacket on our multi-fuel stove to top this up.

Is the hot water from a copper cylinder with tanks in the attic aka a vented / open-pipe gravity system? If so you will need a mixer tap that separates the hot and cold water all the way to the open mouth of the spout. If the hot and cold are able to mix in the tap body then you may get issues with poor performance of the hot flow as it'll be fighting against cold which will be at mains pressure. A non-return valve on the hot may cause the issues its meant to cure as it'll also act as a restrictor. In a bungalow for eg you would already be minus around 0.8 - 1 bar of head ( pressure ) so you'll need to ask questions prior to purchase ;)

If the tap is a mono block some are supplied with "rigid" copper tails that are almost touching each other. These can be bent/ splayed apart enough so you can use isolation valves with compression fittings to connect them up.

D77180_wl.jpg

29 minutes ago, LeanTwo said:

Sorry to ask after all these helpful comments but can someone just do a bit of jargon busting for me?

What are:

UVC

Copper TS

ftw

Sunmap

Buffer tank.

Many thanks!

There's a glossary and abbreviations thread that may help: 

but to answer directly:

UVC - UnVented Cylinder - a hot water cylinder that runs at mains pressure, or regulated mains pressure.

Copper TS - Copper Thermal Store, a form of hot water storage that has the hot water isolated from the hot water pipe work and includes a heat exchanger to transfer heat from the stored hot water to the mains pressure hot water supplied to the taps.

ftw - not at all sure, I need to look it up!

Sunamp - a company that make a range of phase change material heat batteries, in various forms.  They are much smaller than a water filled thermal store and have much lower heat losses.

Buffer tank - A water tank, like a small hot water cylinder, that provides a buffer into which a heat source can run, and from which heat can be drawn for something like underfloor heating.  Having one on a low water volume system may be essential if the heat source cannot modulate down to a low enough level for the lowest heat demand, without going into a short cycling prevention mode.