Automated garage door - security

success1980

Hi everyone,

I have a 5m fully retractable up and over garage door operated by a Chamberlain garage door opener.

Because the installation required the disabling of the standard locks I am now wondering if it is secure enough. What other solutions are out there? I am thinking something along the lines of deadlocks or latches.

What I want to avoid is to create extra steps like getting out of the car to unlock something before the Chamberlain does its work. Defeats the purpose really.

Thanks for your ideas.

Automated deadbolts sound appropriate and if you have aux relays in the existing box you may be able to use a second button on the fob to control them. 

What is it you wish to protect ? Car or garage contents. ? 

Typical thieves will use a bottle / trolley jack with forks to lift the middle of the door so they'll do shitloads of damage first anyway, before realising there are secondary measures in place. 

Lose lose situation. 

Do you have a side door ? If so they'll hit THAT first anyhoo.  

The door openers are usually a lot stronger than just the locks as they hold the door tight into the frame at the centre. Mine has a Kevlar reinforced belt and when it’s shut due to the worm gear motor you cannot push against it even with the power off. 

From memory I believe a lot of the motor manufacturers say they are more secure than a standard door. 

Thanks for the info guys. There is nothing much to protect except cars (which will be locked anyway) and the odd tool which won't break the bank if I have to replace them. I agree, the damage would be more expensive anyway. And there is a side door too.

Good to hear that the motors actually have some sort of "closong pressure" even with power off. Just thought there may be some extra latches that get automatically released when the motor opens the door.

Guest Alphonsox

What I have never been convinced of with the Chamberlain system is the security of the RF transmitter in the opener. I have a 15yr old version and the transmitter is a very simple static key version, so very easy to intercept and copy. They may have got better since then, but I decided to fit deadbolts just to be sure.