Kingspan heating (or lack of) issue

Lynford

• 1 year later...

Dear honourable members

I didn't want to start new topic since my question is about Kingspan Aeromax Plus (KHP0042) 15KW heat pump which was discussed here.

My power relay failed and I'm struggling to source one. Would you have any pointers where to get one?

Relay in question: DA2U 12VDC 23A 277VAC (picture attached)

I can find 24V version on aliexpress but that's as far as I could get. Tried RS components and other major UK retailers but with no luck...

image.png.07d90c4e97093d5ce68f8720d00562aa.png

Does it plug into a PCB?  If so it really has to be that exact size and shape.

Or does it just mount somewhere and 4 separate wires with a female spade connector plug onto it?  If so I would just be looking for any relay of the appropriate rating regardless of shape and size.

Even if it is a PCB mount setup, it would be easy to make fly leads to connect to any relay.

That relay looks very like automotive relays, have you looked at those?

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

Does it plug into a PCB?  If so it really has to be that exact size and shape.

Or does it just mount somewhere and 4 separate wires with a female spade connector plug onto it?  If so I would just be looking for any relay of the appropriate rating regardless of shape and size.

Even if it is a PCB mount setup, it would be easy to make fly leads to connect to any relay.

That relay looks very like automotive relays, have you looked at those?

Hi! It plugs into PCB (soldered). Yeah, it really has to be same size or your suggested mods required.

I'm hopeful to source one before modifying PCB...

1 hour ago, AlexWithKingspanHeatPump said:

Hi! It plugs into PCB (soldered). Yeah, it really has to be same size or your suggested mods required.

I'm hopeful to source one before modifying PCB...

I'd buy some PCB mount 1/4" tabs, whip the relay out and make up some fly-leads...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexWithKingspanHeatPump said:

I hope alternative relays work? Would Inverter not throw a fault because 12V coil has different resistance?

Absolutely not…. I build stuff like this all day at work and we’d never consider measuring the current through the coil of a relay. It would just be a mosfet that drives the coil.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced faulty relay with one from a car but can't get it to test it as Heatpump shows error 09 - Flow Switch error. Heat pump was empty for a while and I wonder if flow switch got affected?

Will replace flow switch to see if it finally works. Bought this heatpump second hand and don't know the history...

On 27/12/2022 at 22:07, HughF said:

If you get in touch with Brendon Uys of Heacol (Google will help you find his details), he has just removed a kingspan aeromax that had hydronic failure. Apparently the electronics were ok. Might be of use.

Email sent! Thanks for info. Do you know if it was 15KW Heat Pump?

42 minutes ago, AlexWithKingspanHeatPump said:

Email sent! Thanks for info. Do you know if it was 15KW Heat Pump?

I don’t think so, I think it was a smaller one. Probably the same pcb inside though.

Edited by HughF
  • Like 1

Hi all

just an update on second hand heat pump I was trying to bring back to life. I shorted the flow switch and heat pump started to work. I will order a new switch and hopefully that will be it.

Heat pump's heat exchanger covered with ice in very short period of time (30min) what would that mean?

I have heat pump connected to water underfloor heating only and it was off all this time with antifreeze in the pipes. It was -10°C last night.

Does anyone know how can I change the settings so it works only for heating and not with hot water storage tank? My setup sketch below:

image.png.7ac23fe7eae3ed443fa6ca0da9195f17.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2023 at 21:19, TonyT said:

Glad to hear positive news!

for anyone else in the future, can you give more info on how it was resolved 

Sure! Three things really!

1. Main power relay was changed as it was damaged. I soldered in just random car 12VDC power relay 40A rated. I couldn't source power relay on its own, so had to improvise. For some reason there were no issues getting 24V coil ones but not 12V. Original relay had 20A 250VAC contacts, car relay has 40A 12VDC contacts and it works no problem.

2. Flow switch was faulty and didn't allow for pump to kick in. Shorted it out for test purpose and it worked. New flow switch on order.

3. Fuse was blown on flow switch board. Changed it and off it went.

FYI, Kingspan programmer (part number: KHP008) is exactly the same as carrier programmer Carrier-33aw-Cs1. You can find a manual for it here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1039100/Carrier-33aw-Cs1.html#manual

Hope it helps...

• Thanks 1