Outhouse to inhouse, permission?

Yzzy

Outside the kitchen back door we have an outside toilet, the roof of which extends to join the rest of the house to cover the entrance to the loo.

What we would like to do is extend the loo and make it part of the house....

Trouble is the loo walls have been infested with Buddleia Davidii quite badly so we need to take it all down and re-build.

I'm saying we dont need planning permission to do that but a friend is telling me if we destroy the building we need permission to re-build it, especially as it's an outside 'room' now being made in to an inside room...

This is daft surely? We can do what we want can't we as it's already there.. we're just fixing it and blocking off the exit...

wc.jpg

DSC_0244.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0248.JPG

Edited by Vision Of Heaven

Probably do it bit by bit, documented at the each stage, and call it repairs.

Building Regs will apply, of course, as you are repairing thermal elements.

And check the spec of your back door and where the internal/external threshold ends up. 

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

I don't believe you will need planning permission but I would write to the planning office. Tell them the replacement will be the same size, shape and use similar materials to the house. You don't normally need permission to block up an opening or add doors and windows so I doubt planning permission is required to make it an "indoor facility". 

I believe you _will_ need Building Control Approval but providing you follow the building regs that shouldn't be a problem. You will need to achieve specific insulation levels and it would be easier if the electrics are installed by a qualified electrician and the windows by a FENSA approved installer.

• Like 2

To add, you need BR involvement and sign-off to give the work any recognisable value too. Any new works may be questioned by a potential future buyer, and if they catch a whiff of you DIY'ing the works they'll either ask for it to be discounted from the valuation or covered by indemnity. Start as you mean to go on. ;)

• Like 1