Gas pipe size for future gas fire

oranjeboom

Having persuaded the boss that we won't be have a log fire/open fire, I told her that we could *potentially* have a gas fire installed at some point in the future. Hopefully she will see that we really don't need one once she gets used to the UFH.

As a precaution, I would like to install one length of copper piping vertically up the lounge wall before it's hidden behind the plasterboard that I'll be putting up soon. I don't want the gas pipe on show nor do I want the wall to be cut in future to hide the pipework. The boiler would be up in the attic also, so the feed from the main (22mm?) supply pipe would only be 5-6m from the gas fire. Difficult to anticipate now what size gas fire we would have in future, so is it best to oversize the pipe? The wall itself would be 25mm battened, so I am thinking to just insert a 3m length of 22mm piping fixed to wall. This will protrude at the top in the attic and at floor level (gas fitter would just have to chop out a small section around the skirting board in future to connect to gas fire and obviously in the attic would have to make the connection to the main gas pipe.

And yes, I realise that if we ever have a gas fire, all the fitting and remaining pipework would have to be done by a certified fitter.

TIA

I am 90% sure 15mm would be enough so 22mm would be more than enough. Bracket it properly, one length no joins and take a few photos of it before covering. I can't see the gas safe guy having any issues.

Edited by Alexphd1

5 hours ago, daiking said:

Would that need mechanical protection?

In a few years time...

”where do you want this picture, love? Here? Ok, tap, tap, boom...”

I really need her to start hanging pictures....

" If the pipe is to be installed behind plasterboards, timber battens or continuous adhesive dabs should be used to surround the pipe." https://copperplumbing.org.uk/sites/default/files/content_attachments/domestic-gas-installation-testing_0.pdf

I should actually be able to squeeze it hard into a corner where I am going to have a corner unit built, so no chance of nailing pics etc. Just need to remember not to puncture it when I build the unit!

5 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

I am 90% sure 15mm would be enough so 22mm would be more than enough. Bracket it properly, one length no joins and take a few photos of it before covering. I can't see the gas safe guy having any issues.

Yes, the sizing for gas fires appears pretty small usually 8-12mm IIRC, so will probably go for 15mm so that I can add some protective steel on top.

I am trying to remember we never provided mechanical protection when we run pipes behind plaster but that was a few years ago now. I would also bracket it every meter. We used to use galvanised banding you can get it real flush in corner.

Edited by Alexphd1

10 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

Thanks all! I may now even have convinced the wife to just go for a bio-ethanol type setup instead! But will still add a copper pipe in wall for future owners.

I’d forgotten about pipes in non vented voids. I Think you might want some @Nickfromwales input on putting a gas pipe in your battened out service void.

obviously you aren’t doing it now but In future it might not be ideal like this.

Edited by daiking
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, daiking said:

I’d forgotten about pipes in non vented voids. I Think you might want some @Nickfromwales input on putting a gas pipe in your battened out service void.

obviously you aren’t doing it now but In future it might not be ideal like this.

Yup. You need to ventilate a service void to have a gas pipe in it. 

What I would do is run a 25mm PVC conduit from the attic down to the top of the skirting say 10mm past it and plug the top with foam. 

Leave that there as a duct and you can either drop a 15mm pipe ( overkill ) or what I'd do, drop a 10mm pipe down if when required as that'll be ample. 

This assumes a <7kw appliance which won't need a vent iirc and also therefore won't need a big gas supply. 

I doubt a GSR'd fitter would want to connect to a buried pipe that's been DIY'd unless you've got photos, lots of, and he / she doesn't deem it at risk. 

Just fit the straight run of conduit and get on with your life :)

Remember that gas regs and legislation change. The duct is a future proof solution imo. 

15 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

Thanks @Nickfromwales. I've put in about 3-5 conduits already for future cables etc so will add one in for a future gas pipe and then seal with some minimal exp foam! Back to insulatin the damn vaulted (with valley) roof - too many darn angles!

Well try and think of someone else won't you please ?

While your enjoying all that insulation some of us will be in terrible pain trying to lift heavy glasses full of ale with their baddy arm :D

@Nickfromwales Interesting - when I put my gas pipe underground - the flexible stainless stuff, I was intending fitting it in a 65mm duct so I coulD ventelate it at the meter end which is outside the air tight envelope.  I was intending to leave it floating in the duct, about 15m long, so the gas safe installer could push and pull it to satisfy themselves that it was OK. Would it be better to find a gas safe local to come and observe the pipe being installed in the duct and then buried?  

Edited by MikeSharp01