Second time Self Builder (Hopefully)

jonM

Hi all, 

I self build 20 years ago in Milton Keynes in the glorious days when the Commission for New Towns were knocking out building plots left, right and centre. The house has been a great family home but having read about Passivhaus and visited one, I know have itchy feet to build a Passivhaus all over again in a more rural setting. Following up on a couple of leads at the moment but realise this is going to be a long game. The forum is a great source of information and inspiration particularly as the building technology has moved on so much since I last self built. 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I have now purchased a plot after several years of looking. The plot is in Bishops Castle, South Shropshire and one of nine on a self build / custom build site just a couple of miles away from the Welsh Border. It is a really lovely town and I can't wait to get started. 

Planning has been submitted for the house which will be built to Passivhaus standards. 

Waiting now for the planning to be approved after which we will be making a start on the groundworks. 

Trying to get ahead of the game by deciding all of the interior fittings before we start (main learning lesson from first time). 

A picture of the plot and design is enclosed. 

08052018-plot-7-highlighted.jpg

Elev.JPG

FF.JPG

GF.JPG

block.JPG

Edited by jonM

Welcome ..!!

nice plot, lovely views ..! 

Couple of observations on the plans .. that master ensuite is tiny ..! Why not spin the bed 90 degrees and bring the headboard  back against the bathroom wall, and then extend the ensuite to the left ..? Would leave space for the chair next to the window and a view from the bed too..?

Kitchen open to the stairs is a bit odd too - lots of space for a really nice hallway but seems very open so smells will travel upstairs. 

Other than that - looks great ! 

• Like 1

Welcome.

I think it looks good. Now is the time to think (organisational, financial) about how to facilitate an efficient build.

At this stage I would take a tour through the VAT reclaim regulations and see if you can add anything to the plan (eg landscaping detail, up and over electric garage door rather than the side hinged Morris Motor House manual type, offset the garage door so you storage is at one side) which would permit that to be included in your VAT reclaim at the end of the project. One thing that determines what you can zero-rate is what is explicitly included in your PP; if you have just submitted then you can add things in with a letter or email.

Also remember the detailed regs regarding CIL-exemption. That needs to be in place before you start developing, if applicable, or you can get nobbled with the liability.

If I have this right you have a lot of soil shifting to do, and will need your sunny sitting area at the bottom of the back garden. It might be worth thinking through how your back "garden room" will work - like me you seem to have the sun at the front.

@newhome has just posted what is a fairly comprehensive thread on this.

I would think about including an option of making that sunscreen solid over the front door so you do not get rained on while looking for your key, or your visitors whilst waiting for you to answer. Also I would have some permeability to eg see a hint of the back garden from the front - that could be a slightly moved front door or a tall narrow window to the right with the current stairs.

I think some detail could be improved in some respects (eg shower downstairs to clean the "dog-under", bigger shower upstairs), but most of that can come later in the conversation. That is an exercise in exposing yourself to different suggestions and choosing the best options; no one here will be offended and we will all say different things.

There is also a mass of liveable details you will want to think about - eg where is the discreet parcel drop off, and where will your garden tools be kept.

Best of luck, but looks good.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

My initial thoughts:

Master en-suite is pokey yet family bath is huge, consider re-arranging the master bed with the en-suite back to back with the family bathroom (steal some space), give yourself a descent built in wardrobe where the current en-suite is.  Also simplifies the plumbing putting everything over the utility room.  A big master bed is nice (we have a massive one) but is mostly lost space, more importantly is that every bedroom can take a super king bed if required without compromise!

Agree with @PeterW that kitchen open to stairs is an issue, fire regulations I think that would have to be engineered out, put an entrance hall at the bottom of the stairs to solve the problem.

MVHR positioning does not lead to usable duct routes to the first floor, need to consider where the ducts will rise, through the corner of the bathroom/en-suite where the cylinder is, they are the largest service and everything need to work around it, otherwise it will be an afterthought (the plumbing will already be in) and will end up being a compromise/bodge!

Consider a central service riser (where the utility cupboard is next to stairs) access to wet rooms above, vent trunking (option).  Put your DHW cylinder/SunAmp and MVHR unit there

Bin store, location and access in pouring rain!

Service access to plot, meters in/on outside of Garage, build Garage first then you have on site services.  You can also take dedicated feed for car charging.

Car port beside garage for second car, and external charging point, second charging point in side garage.

What about the attic, warm roof I presume, access, boarded out for storage….

We can all pick holes

• Like 1

Slightly random observations as my head isn't working very well today - treat with caution!:

• Garage looks quite close in size to a double garage, but not quite - and you don't appear to be using the space for anything else. From the 3D rendering you could probably keep the ridge height the same and just bring the eaves a bit closer to the ground to get room for 2 cars. As @le-cerveau points out, it's a good location for site services, maybe storage, welfare etc. during the build as well if you finish it first.
  • If I've got myself aligned right, the double desk over the landing will have both chairs facing a wall, with a window between them. That window faces over the main view, but the sill looks quite high up so when seated it might well be that all you can see is the sky rather than the view over the hills which would seem to be one of the main attractions of the plot.
  • You've got two doors to pathways at the side of the house but none to the back garden. Where are you going to be going to from them - the back garden or the paths?
  • There appear to be acres of empty space in the middle of the kitchen. I'm not sure what works for you, but that wouldn't suit me.
  • Downstairs shower/toilet looks really cramped to me, and the arrangement of the large cupboard next to it looks really awkward. Swapping that cupboard with the MVHR would give longer supply and return ducts in need of insulation, but more usable floor space and would ensure that your ductopus is in a more convenient place for the upstairs floors - I like the suggestion of putting the en-suite back to back with the main bathroom, and doing so would allow you to steal space for a duct run right over the revised position of the MVHR.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...