Fredds rule no2.

Fredd

6 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I, and others here, must have had a real bargain deal in getting maybe 3 or 4 times that much muck shifted for a lot less than £15k, then.  In the scale of things, even on our pretty hard-to-develop plot, muck away costs weren't that massive when compared to some of the other costs.  If we'd wanted mains water that was going to cost us over £23k for example, so the less than £12k we paid to shift around 900 tonnes off site and dispose of it doesn't seem that high, and anyway it was factored in to the plot price when we bought it.

Anyone who doesn't get separate quotes for the contestable element of any utility works, like moving a foul drain, is unlikely to get a good deal.  The collective experience here is that a lot of the time using your own ground works contractor to do the contestable works and then only paying the utility company for the non-contestable element often saves a lot of money.  Certainly we did this, and knocked at least £2k off the price that the DNO had originally quoted.  Their costs for the contestable element were barking mad, but as they have to itemise them on the quote if you request it, there's no excuse for being ripped off by allowing them to sub-contract that element.

you cant do any work in the verge or road bud at least in our county, cant even drop your own kerb.

Of course all the onsite is done to site boundary, goes without saying.....

1 hour ago, Fredd said:

you cant do any work in the verge or road bud at least in our county, cant even drop your own kerb.

Of course all the onsite is done to site boundary, goes without saying.....

So you have no highways approved contractors, then? 

That's odd, as I had to provide a copy of our ground works guys highways approval, and it looked like a national one to me.  I'll have a dig around later, as I think I scanned it to email it to the LA, so may still have a copy.  He is based in Hampshire, and our build is right on the Wiltshire/Dorset border, and there was nothing I could see that limited the scope of his approval to work on roads, verges, pavements etc in one particular county.

The contestable work for our electricity supply and phone connection included laying ducting across a lane and along a grass verge owned by the LA.  All they needed was a licence fee from me for the work, plus emailed evidence that the contractor was highways approved (every company I approached for a quote was highways approved, as it was a thing I checked before asking them to quote).