Scaffold hire

Ed_MK

Evening all,

just had a quote for my scaffolding. Basically for the timber framers to work on 
and then directly after the roofers ...

Its a bitty invoice, all split into sections with various costs. But If I am reading it right it SEEMS to suggest it could

cost me (for approx 16 weeks hire) over £7000 !!

Am i daft in thinking this is ridiculous ?

• Sad 1

I paid somewhat less than half that to BUY my own.  Time it was up was not a constrain then. But not every builder will be happy with that arrangement.  Mine is Kwikstage, possibly the most popular of the system scaffold types. Cuplock is anther popular one.

41 minutes ago, Ed_MK said:

Evening all,

just had a quote for my scaffolding. Basically for the timber framers to work on 

Its a bitty invoice, all split into sections with various costs. But If I am reading it right it SEEMS to suggest it could

Wow!

not sure how big your properties is

£15 per mtr is about right

though you have to be careful for the time scale

i paid 2800 for 15 weeks Then everything striped down Rebuilt to suit render 4 weeks allowed 

The later is quite important 

That included three tables

no loading bay as I didn’t have a stacker 

150 per bay if require 

my build has a floor area totalling 280 square mtrs 

Si I’m guessing your build must be considerably larger with a quote of that size 

12 minutes ago, nod said:

.... I’m guessing your build must be considerably larger with a quote of that size ...

Or considerably further south ..!! We’ve turned a job down as it’s just too expensive on all the plant / waste / labour to make anything on it and that’s only between Coventry and Northampton.  

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Or considerably further south ..!! We’ve turned a job down as it’s just too expensive on all the plant / waste / labour to make anything on it and that’s only between Coventry and Northampton.  

I would be suprised if Coventry rates are any higher than up here

We are only 30 miles from Manchester 

Buying ones own scaffolding sounds like a solid plan. Used sets looks very affordable.

How do folks get it erected however? I take it one still needs a scaffolding contractor with a valid CISRS card? Would they be willing to work on scaffolding not supplied by themselves? How about the weekly checks?

3 minutes ago, Visti said:

Buying ones own scaffolding sounds like a solid plan. Used sets looks very affordable.

How do folks get it erected however? I take it one still needs a scaffolding contractor with a valid CISRS card? Would they be willing to work on scaffolding not supplied by themselves? How about the weekly checks?

I think you would have to put it up yourself A company wouldn’t get involved

we had a HSE visit He had driven past and seen one of the gates held open with a cavity tie 

I’d to get the contractor down

He was pretty p*** d Hi parting words were Anything else remove or altered I’ll take the lot down 

Its a real minefield 

I breathed a sigh of relief when it was all gone 

While getting scaffold quotes, I've met what seems like a fantastic scaffolding guy who's moving into the village where my plot is. I'm sure they do MK as it's only down the road if you're interested in his details? 

I do not have much relevant experience except that

1 My dad bought enough Cuplok to do the entire side of a Victorian Mill, then kept part of it for 25 years for use at home. EVen back in the 1980s the savings were huge.

2 The only time I hired scaffolding to have a roof done, it was much cheaper as part of the package. if you have a contractor there throughout that might be an option.

Ferdinand

11 hours ago, Ed_MK said:

Evening all,

you haven't mentioned size, number or lifts, tables for gables etc so a bit hard to quantify.

but yes you are being bent over.

large 4 bed with 3/4 lifts some tables on site till build is done would be looking at half that figure in the midlands.

11 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I thought it was closer to 30 per linear metre per lift? @JSHarris @recoveringacademic Spons?

Scaffolding is mentioned in SPONS. (2015), but there is scant detail. 

I suspect it's too job specific to be able to give a set of figures.

The best SPONS does is to price scaffold towers at between £3.17 to £7.79 per single or double 'bay' (2m by 7m high)

12 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I thought it was closer to 30 per linear metre per lift? @JSHarris @recoveringacademic Spons?

That sounds close.  We faffed the scaffolders around a bit, as I had to keep getting them back to fix things that one of the guys on site had unbolted/moved.  It may well be "normal practice" for people to alter a certified scaffold, but there was no way was going to take that risk, once I knew something had been messed with.

I think we paid just south of £4k (cash) for double story all around, for 16 weeks, with one adjustment. All the other quotes we had were at least several hundred, and in a couple of cases 50%, more.

The big thing to watch out for is extra weeks. Some charge nothing, some charge 10%. We got stuffed a bit on this, as we ran over our initial estimate by a few months for various reasons. In the end the guy possibly felt a bit guilty for how much he'd made off us and said we could just keep it for nothing for the last few weeks.

I suspected he was happy to just leave it there rather than take it down and store it. Sure enough, when it came time to remove it, it came down on three separate days over nearly a month, presumably as and when he needed it for other jobs. I think in the end we tool the last bit down ourselves and told him he needed to pick it up or we'd leave it by the road.

Scaffolders are an interesting breed. Most of the other trades we had onsite weren't complimentary.

13 hours ago, Visti said:

Ah, yes the weekly checks at £100 + VAT a check 

I just read the small print on the quote

I am going to have to give this a coat of thinking around, as i dont want to upset the 
council BCO or cross and HSE rubicons

Its my fault i didn't check the cost on my initial calculation ...I pencilled it in as £2k and though
there would be some slack !

HaHa...now I am trying to hire it ....its a dose of REAL LIFE NUMBERS

I got aprox 56 linear meters with 2 lifts + gables for £2,000.00 but it was only for 8 weeks hire. When that timescale "ran out" which it off course did very quickly I negotiated a 5 month extension for £1,500.00.

The price included up to 3 adaptions for blockworker, renderer etc.

The guy was very diligent and after every storm he was up here the next day to check it off.

1 hour ago, Ed_MK said:

Ah, yes the weekly checks at £100 + VAT a check 

I just read the small print on the quote

I am going to have to give this a coat of thinking around, as i dont want to upset the 
council BCO or cross and HSE rubicons

Its my fault i didn't check the cost on my initial calculation ...I pencilled it in as £2k and though
there would be some slack !

HaHa...now I am trying to hire it ....its a dose of REAL LIFE NUMBERS

How much do you actually need ..??? Give us a rough idea and we can help with the numbers. 

Most self build policies cover scaffolding, and your contractors have their own duty of care to ensure that the scaffold they use is adequate and fit for purpose. I used to check our kwikstage every day, with a sharp tap on every wedge  to ensure it’s tight and all the boards are in place. 

I will be selling mine soon as it’s done me well over 10 months - works out to about £20 a week for 48x16ft all told. 

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

How much do you actually need ..??? Give us a rough idea and we can help with the numbers. 

Most self build policies cover scaffolding, and your contractors have their own duty of care to ensure that the scaffold they use is adequate and fit for purpose. I used to check our kwikstage every day, with a sharp tap on every wedge  to ensure it’s tight and all the boards are in place. 

I will be selling mine soon as it’s done me well over 10 months - works out to about £20 a week for 48x16ft all told. 

Well Peter,

it is enough to Get the Timber Frame guys up there to put up the Frame and Trusses.
I am guessing here ...but from what i can gather its can be 2w-4w (apparently)

..and then directly afterwards the roofers will need it (probably a different config though)...say 2-3 weeks (I have been told)

,,,but I have been advised tha they like to point and flash up a fortnight later ....after it settles ....so make that 5 weeks :(

My house is almost square (if you include the sunroom) 12.5m (the image below may be useful)

eek! ...fingers crossed the brickies and renderers bring their own small scaffold 

PS THIS IS NOT THE COLOUR OF THE RENDER OR BRICK :) ...just defining the areas 

It is actually reclaimed brick (or at least aged) and cream coloured render 

Brick_Render_Areas.jpg

Edited by Ed_MK

hmm..

I am just wondering ....Its obvious that the frame builders will need  a FULL scaffold

and the roofers too,,

but the brickies and render guys ...can they work of a hired tower or something ?

like this perhaps ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gleichlaufend-Aluminium-Portable-Scaffolding-Universal/dp/B00KX8KH6Q

I don't want to make anything unsafe ..but obviously don't want a full scaffold rig to hang about due to hire costs