A Planner in peace!

Charles Ebden

Hi everyone,

I'm a Planning Officer in Blaby, and am currently studying my Masters in Planning at Birmingham City University and am researching the self-build housing sector for my dissertation.

I am looking for people who would be willing to take part in a short survey about your experiences of self-build housing. I'm looking to gather the insights of people who are currently undertaking, or have in the past undertaken, a self-build project in the UK, in order to gauge what you believe are the benefits, barriers and facilitators, of undertaking self-build project.

The survey will only take 10-15 minutes to complete.

Please follow the following link to the survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSezNby01KGReNIszG6zYr3kM8kDJgW9sRP4shYUw5uyYUTphw/viewform?usp=sf_link

The feedback gained from your experiences will give me valuable insights into the self-build market and I tremendously appreciate you taking the time to complete it.  

Many thank in advance for your help. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via PM

Charles Ebden

Edited by PeterW
Email address removed

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

I have a pre app in with blaby at the moment! Be nice to see a response soon

@Charles Ebden might well be a private planner, @Oz07, and so have no influence at all on the process. 

Welcome @Charles Ebden : good luck with the dissertation.

A few of us here are retired Senior / Principal lecturers.  I for one would be happy to read drafts of your work as an interested, critical friend.

Plus I'm bloody nosey. 

Ian

Done - interesting looking at the results so far.  The age group with the biggest number of builders being in the 50 - 65 age group. Only a small number of responses so far though.  I must remember to go back and look later

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

@Charles Ebden might well be a private planner, @Oz07, and so have no influence at all on the process. 

Welcome @Charles Ebden : good luck with the dissertation.

A few of us here are retired Senior / Principal lecturers.  I for one would be happy to read drafts of your work as an interested, critical friend.

Plus I'm bloody nosey. 

Ian

If you read for the link he works for blaby council

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Welcome - will get to your survey when I have finished reading this pile of dissertation drafts I was presented with this morning, I thought I had retired, and these refectory sandwiches are worse than ever.

Still happens to me 6 years after I retired....................

Survey completed - seems pretty well-structured, too.  I hope the results are helpful.

Good evening everyone,

I'm bowled over by the number of response I have received today! It has exceeded my expectations. Obviously would I love to have more so please keep sharing.

Thank you for all of your useful feedback and encouragement...I have added the 'm' onto many :). Following the advice of @recoveringacademic I have disabled the function that shows the results as it was showing email addresses and phone numbers. I will periodically post updates of the results as I go along, and I will be more than willing to share the end results to anyone who is interested. I am also sending out a questionnaire to Council's across the UK, to get their views and again I will post updates as I go forward.  The dissertation is due in in mid-September.

I will do my best to be an active member of the forum, and offer what advice I am able to. Please put these requests in a PM. Please also be aware that much depends on the site and the Council's policies, and I may not be in a position to give a full and definitive answer. However it concerns development in Blaby I will have to offer my apologies due to ethical reasons and pass you onto our main number.

I must also thank those who have kindly offered to take part in an telephone interview, I will be in touch with you individually, however I do have to just finalise the questions so it may be a while before I am able to conduct them.

Thank you all again, and thank you for making me feel welcome here...I know planners are not always afforded such a luxury.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Charles Ebden said:

Thank you all again, and thank you for making me feel welcome here...I know planners are not always afforded such a luxury.

on this site it doesn't matter what your 'job' is or what type of building you are doing.  

You will be treated as an individual (however much we may have issues with individual architects, planning departments, builders, suppliers or any other sector we come into contact with) according to how you are as a person. I am pretty new here but know I can ask anything, share any experience or make any suggestion so long as it is done in the spirit of sharing and with respect - and where possible a sense of humour.  This site is amazing

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

:x 

It is - this site is the only thing that has enabled me to (just) hold onto my sanity.  

Coping with the stresses of self building without a SO was always going to be stressful but this site has given me somewhere I can ask questions, research how others have dealt with things and (maybe most of all) realising that I am not the only one stressed out with the horrible wonderful life of self build - even though I am not actually doing it myself. 

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It’s good to know we can help other people - it can appear pretty lonely as you stand looking at a muddy hole that’s just swallowed £20k of your savings and you think “why did I start this.....?”

So so true