Bath waste fittings

Starting to think about fitting the bath.

It's a free standing bath enclosed all round by it's own bath surround, which basically means it is a real PITA if you need to get at anything under the bath. So the plan is to avoid where possible anything that can "go wrong" under the bath, so first thing, pop up wastes are off the list.

So we want a reliable sturdy bath waste fitting that does not have mechanical linkages (hence ruling out a pop up)  The choices seem to be what are known "click" wastes.  Something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/sprung-bath-waste/47707  or this https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-clicker-waste-bath-trap-chrome-effect-70mm/50504

Any personal recommendations, i.e something that is not going to fall to bits? or if it does can be serviced from above?

No SWMBO won't accept a plug on a chain.:ph34r:

I wouldn't go for that first one, have you seen the weight of it :D:D

Specification
Colour Chrome-Plated
Finish Chrome-Plated
Manufacturer Guarantee 1 Year Guarantee
Pack Size 1
Pieces in Pack/Case 1
Product Diameter 40 mm
Product Type Sprung Bath Waste
Total Product Weight 670 kg
Waste/Plug Type Sprung
Waste Location Type Bath

@ProDave, you want the flip over type waste. Buy a good quality chrome over brass one and its bombproof. Do NOT fit the click clack type waste as my arse cheek pops mine open. A bad day in the life of a plumber trying to do his work and the work of others, and then choosing between happy wife...or happy customer....

By that stage I would have plugged the hole with an oily rag tbh :(

32 minutes ago, ProDave said:

@Nickfromwales That's the sort of thing I want.

Now find a supplier that does small orders at a sensible price, or a big name supplier I can pick one up in Inverness......

Oh and it needs to include an overflow and connection for that :ph34r:

you can get the trap to do that. Ill add to that later. ;)

This one is half the price and free posting and looks the same https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flip-Plug-Bath-Waste-Grating-Brass-Body-Solid-Tail-35mm/261613538788?hash=item3ce961cde4:g:Ep4AAOSwDk5ULQq5

Still need an overflow and a means to connect it. Never seen the overflow fitting sold on it's own, I have only ever seen them as a kit with the waste.

I guess I could buy something like this, throw away the waste and use the flip over one instead? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MCalpine-FJ10WC-75mm-Seal-Bath-Trap-with-Center-Pin-Waste-and-Flexible-Overflow/272919390661?epid=15008871263&hash=item3f8b4369c5:g:amYAAOSwyYFaAcfA

You could go to the trouble of making everything accessible via removeable panels but it's a long trek! :)

What I've learnt from my bath saga:

This might help @Construction Channel, foamed in to keep the fall before concreting Basin goes into the 32mm tee via an anti syphon trap. All in solvent weld:

SAM_3266

My waste goes 40 to 50. Think 50 all the way from the trap would have been better. Bath empties OK but could be quicker:

20161219_221417

But I wanted flexibility on the trap.

Being the big, gangly lump that I am I will occasionally knock the pop up waste knob with my knee (not unpleasant ;) ). 

Tbh I don't like the tap position. Trying to relax, if I want more hot in the bath I have to make sure my knee's out of the way to avoid getting scalded. A TMV is on the to do list.

20170618_101939

• 3 weeks later...

Just to finish this off by saying I chose the McAlpine in the thread above.

They don't do it justice in that description, not only are you buying the bath trap and overflow, you are buying a click clack type waste.  The waste mechanism just lifts out (mainly to give top access to clear the trap) but of course in my case it means it can be serviced or replaced from above should the mechanism fail. So hopefully this should achieve my goal of never ever needing to lift the bath out of it's housing.

For the same (lack of ) access issue we have chosen a floor mounted bath filler with shower head.