What flooring to use on ground floor??

Jude1234

Our ground floor is an 'L' shape, we were planning to use bamboo flooring for one side on the L which is the entrance hall, formal lounge, family room.  The other side of the L starts with the open plan kitchen, then diner then at the far end of the L a casual living space.  The kitchen/diner/living room all have bifolds out onto the garden.  Just wondering what flooring to have in this part of the ground floor. Ideally I would want the same throughout as I don't like the look where one flooring joins another.  We are having UFH throughout the ground floor.  There is also a downstairs cloakroom and utility to think about. Should these be tiles as they are more water resistant?

Any ideas greatly appreciated 

We're planning on a power-floated concrete finish, no polishing. Still to get a £/m2 figure as we've awaiting the quotes to come back, but it certainly isn't the £75/m2 or resin or polished. Anticipating ~£35-40/m2 (I'll get corrected shortly, I just know it!)

What bamboo supplier are you considering? We're looking at The Bamboo Flooring Company at ~£30-35/m2.

5 minutes ago, Visti said:

We're planning on a power-floated concrete finish, no polishing. Still to get a £/m2 figure as we've awaiting the quotes to come back, but it certainly isn't the £75/m2 or resin or polished. Anticipating ~£35-40/m2 (I'll get corrected shortly, I just know it!)

What bamboo supplier are you considering? We're looking at The Bamboo Flooring Company at ~£30-35/m2.

Haven't got that far yet, but had bamboo in a previous house and loved it

For the entrance hall, which will include the utility, we will almost certainly have similar slate tiles to the old house that proved to be completely bomb proof. 
Now matter how many times someone stomps mud in, they just scrub up nicely and look like they will last forever.

In the living rooms some form of wood, with the understanding it must be UFH friendly which probably rules out Oak.

This does mean a transition somewhere so careful consideration of the sub floor to ensure a step free transition,

40 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have used wood effect porcelain tiles.  They look great and you can treat them rough!

These are what my oh is requesting for the whole ground floor, and then probably bamboo upstairs.

I'm still not too sure on the mix of looks.

We used the same engineered oak in all areas other than bathrooms, toilet and utility where we have Amtico. I was a bit worried about using oak in kitchen areas but so far so good.

On costs, do make sure you are comparing like-with-like, if you are laying boards then factor in the total cost, e.g. levelling, adhesive, trowels, threshold strips, labour, transport costs etc. When you add it all up you might get quite close to the £75 for resin which will be all-in costs.