Is it possible to retrofit flush skirting?

oldcoop

Long shot... but is it possible to retrofit flush skirting?? I am not worried about a shadow gap but just don’t want skirting sticking out proud from the wall.

We originally specified flush skirting but had some issues which meant that much of the House is now using insulated plasterboard (ie celotex bonded onto plasterboatd). So builder did not stop plaster at skirting level or use trims to achieve a shadow gap, since it wasn’t possible.

My plan was to score the plasterboard and remove from the insulation behind and then attach skirting so it is flush. But builder is dead against.

i guess my options are:

- cut plasterboard as planned and get him to plaster and work out how to attach skirting to insulation later

- let him carry on and plaster down to the bottom of the wall and later work out how to cut plastered plasterboard off and retrofit skirting

- give up and maybe fit an aluminium skirting or similar so it is as low profile as possible.

Also, is a trim necessary if I am not worried about a shadow gap?

Very grateful for any views!

• Like 1

Unless there is a compelling reason for this, I would not bother.  The skirting hides the gap between the plaster and the floor and protects the lower bit of wall from damage.  Platerer likes to start about an inch from the floor because it is easier and does not pick up crap and drag it through the plaster.

If you really want to do this, try a small room first.  The plasterboard is well bonded to the insulation so it will be a bugger to do.

2 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

If you want it to look perfect at the new wall thickness, i would imagine you would need new door casings which are wider, a fair bit of money involved and time and effort, but it will then look perfect.

Tru. Luckily we have allow no doors!

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

If a clean look is important what about a square profile skirting the same colour as the wall.

Beware dust traps, however.

Yep. That’s what we used to have. But dust sits on top of the skirting, which I hate with a passion!

Yep - in my most I went for pre-primed 94mm MDF bullnose to avoid dust, at £1.60 per metre run, which was low enough to avoid taking on the self-cutting pfaff. 

Within reason B&Q would cut up the sheets for you.

Edited by Ferdinand