Motion sensors in hallway

success1980

Hi,

Has anyone installed motion sensors in their hallways? In my house these lights seem to never get switched off, and I find this a waste of energy. I have seen them working in residential properties before but was wondering which the best products are.

Thanks

30 minutes ago, A_L said:

Beware the power consumption of motion sensors, could easily be 10W, that is a lot of LED light.

+1. 

Just change the offending light to led and the accidental consumption will be negligible.

Or, if it's a matter of principle you can fit the type which work on proximity and go from dim level ( 15% ) or 0% to 100% upon detection. Example only

We have them in all the bathrooms, the garage and the utility room in the new place.

I wish I had installed more. they seem to work flawlessly, turning on the lights automatically when it is dark.

I will check their power consumption, I am seeing 1-2w quoted on the internet.

That would suggest they might use around £1-2 of electricity a year.

The nice thing is that we didn't bother with light switches at all where we have them, so as well as the saving on installing a switch it is much tidier.

Considering my family's almost total inability to turn off lights I wish that I had installed more.

We built a three storey house - there's two staircases, three halls and a corridor on the intermediate first floor. We've fitted four presence detectors - one in each hall and one in the corridor. The two on the intermediate floor are wired together so if either detects presence, lights will come on.

They are all driving LED panels inset into the ceiling. The attached picture shows the intermediate ceiling with LED panels, 1 x smoke alarm, 1 x WiFi access point and one of the presence detectors.

We went for Steinel is d360 presence detectors. (I wanted to use a good quality make because I wanted to have confidence they could be adjusted for run on time, and background illumination detection).  Think they were about £30 each - sourced from eBay over a period of weeks.

They are also under master time switch control to force them off in the middle of the night (but that might be overkill).

I am 100% happy with the way that they work - I would absolutely recommend such a setup. 

IMG_20180203_145132.thumb.jpg.f5d2f53e509961dc18053956c4d6acd2.jpg