diy-kitchens.com any experience?

Jude1234

3 hours ago, vivienz said:

Good shout, @Hecateh.  As you say, not a deal breaker with those prices, but if you want a Monday-Friday date that you can specify, it will add £250 to the bill.  I won't be in time for their April sale, but by the time I get around to ordering another one may have come along.

I'm only about 20 mins from them so will arrange my own delivery

When I got mine the delivery charges were different. I had 2 man delivery which was during a really bad winter and they (the 2 man team) were really good.

They kept me informed of their progress and when they eventually arrived at 8.00 in the evening, (they had to reverse up the road beacause of the snow and ice) they were most apologetic and nothing was to much trouble whilst I was making them hot drinks. they were ambassadors for the company and I have not had any problems with the units and they still look like the day they were put in.

I bought enough units for the kitchen, utility and an office.

5ab600397dfde_HouseKitchen.thumb.JPG.3d1b8616671ff1d5815525bd882e7d62.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

When I got mine the delivery charges were different. I had 2 man delivery which was during a really bad winter and they (the 2 man team) were really good.

They kept me informed of their progress and when they eventually arrived at 8.00 in the evening, (they had to reverse up the road beacause of the snow and ice) they were most apologetic and nothing was to much trouble whilst I was making them hot drinks. they were ambassadors for the company and I have not had any problems with the units and they still look like the day they were put in.

I got the same impression about the whole company when I was there.  It had the air of a family firm, the staff all knew their stuff and were happy to answer any questions.  And did I mention the free coffee and cakes (made in one of their kitchens)

6 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

5ab600397dfde_HouseKitchen.thumb.JPG.3d1b8616671ff1d5815525bd882e7d62.JPG

Kitchen looks really smart.  We are travelling up to the showroom next weekend. Can you upload a picture of the office furniture, would be good to see which units you have used 

I was looking at their website and they don't have a lot of accessories compared to Howdens.  My friend loves her Howdens larder unit and she has a really big recycling bin. Just wondered if anyone knew if you could buy the accessories from Howdens and fit in a different kitchen  (such as diy)

20 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

I was looking at their website and they don't have a lot of accessories compared to Howdens.  My friend loves her Howdens larder unit and she has a really big recycling bin. Just wondered if anyone knew if you could buy the accessories from Howdens and fit in a different kitchen  (such as diy)

Not sure, I suspect you can buy Howden's interiors for other cupboards but I have specced larder units and different bin combinations from DIY.  They are very approachable and manufacture on site.  Worth a conversation with them as to what you are looking for.  I know there were one or two things I saw on my visit that are not on their website

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jude1234 said:

if you could buy the accessories from Howdens and fit in a different kitchen

I did..........I put pull out wire baskets in one of the base units and a pull out corner unit  https://www.bullerltd.co.uk/blind-corner-optimiser.html

The carcases are a standard size so I can't see a problem?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

I did..........I put pull out wire baskets in one of the base units and a pull out corner unit  https://www.bullerltd.co.uk/blind-corner-optimiser.html

The carcases are a standard size so I can't see a problem?

As there online planner isn't working what did you use to create a 3d design?

I will get a quote from there next time.

British, Northern, and decent quality / customer service. What is not to like?

Though iirc Howdens are based in Yorkshire, so also qualify. o.O

Edited by Ferdinand

I was interested that the capacity is to assemble 2500 units per week, which is approx 5000 kitchens per year or a turnover of up to 5m+ per year. GIve or take that is 1% of Howdens.

2:20 in the vid.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 3 weeks later...

Very late to this topic - but also got a DIYK kitchens - good kitchen, no real complaints with it!

Same comments as everyone before - they are standard chipboard carcases, solid MDF doors (matt white), blum hardware. When we were looking we checked out DIYK, B&Q, Wickes and IKEA - Wickes and DIYK came in roughly the same price but DIYK was fully assembled so that just made it so much easier.

Drawbacks - large spares - if they have missed them or if you have run out of the odd bit (like plinth fixings, odd spacers and such) they will simply post them out to you FOC. Anything more substantial can attract the full delivery van charge again.

My parents have just fitted a B&Q Cook & Lewis kitchen and it is also very nice, cost competitive - a lot of the final finish quality coming from the installation.

Pics attached - excuse the utter mess and unfinished state... DIY, life etc.

IMG_20180410_155940.jpg

IMG_20180410_155924.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

Lovely kitchens @MrMagic and @Mr Punter did diy kitchens also provide the worktops?  I have order my kitchen cupboards but still undecided on the worktop whether to source separately

I'm sourcing mine separately as I have a 3.7m run which they don't do and a 1200 sq island. which they also don't do.  Better to source separately than have unnecessary joins. 

Edited by Hecateh
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Some pics of the DIY kitchens on our current development - still some bits of snagging remaining but they seem fine.

Love the first picture of the grey kitchen, could you give me some more info on it please?

• Which model?
  • Which colour?
  • Which worktop & upstand?
  • Did you design & order all the units & accessories yourself?
  • Roughly what cost?

14 hours ago, JohnW said:

Love the first picture of the grey kitchen, could you give me some more info on it please?

• Which model?
  • Which colour?
  • Which worktop & upstand?
  • Did you design & order all the units & accessories yourself?
  • Roughly what cost?

CARRERA PAINTED

Lamproom Grey

Classic White quartz 30mm Worktop and upstand

Yes, designed and ordered by me

Units £2,900 + VAT

Worktop £2,900 + VAT

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Took a trip up to DIY Kitchens yesterday and very impressed with what I saw. Their planning tool also seems to be available again. 

I particularly like the fact that everything around the pricing is so transparent, everyone gets charged the same price and I can play around with a design online to understand the implications of certain options on prices. 

A no-nonsense Yorkshire company offering great value for money ?