Can my house grow a bit

Russell griffiths

So we now have planning consent approved, 

so nutting down the nitty grittyof how to build it, talking to a few different companies regarding the build method I think I’m going to use ICF 

talking to different ICF suppliers it seems  if I can stick to a wall length that will marry in with one of their block sizes could save a bit of wastage and also a bit of work on site. 

So the question would be how picky are the planners going to be if for arguments sake my front flank wall grew by 30mm

if this seems like a bit of a grey area how difficult would it be to go back to the planners with an amended drawing with this increase. 

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

Mine grew ( tape measure stretches in heat ) by 30cm wider , 50 cm taller , 100cm longer ...... ?

Width and depth seem to go unnoticed, it's ridge height to watch out for. 

The main thing to catch folk 'out' is a neighbour who's taken a photo of the view over the ridge of an existing dwelling raized to make way for a new one. 

If it's a new build on a plot with no twitching curtains then I'd push my luck a bit tbh. Going 300mm wider is an easy 'mistake' to make as it's the typical wall thickness. Just look stupid and say "I knew they shouldn't have given me the bloody tape measure". ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

So we now have planning consent approved, 

so nutting down the nitty grittyof how to build it, talking to a few different companies regarding the build method I think I’m going to use ICF 

talking to different ICF suppliers it seems  if I can stick to a wall length that will marry in with one of their block sizes could save a bit of wastage and also a bit of work on site. 

So the question would be how picky are the planners going to be if for arguments sake my front flank wall grew by 30mm

if this seems like a bit of a grey area how difficult would it be to go back to the planners with an amended drawing with this increase. 

PRobably quite significantly dependent on neighbours and their attitudes.

Were you to follow @Pocster's 1m higher next door to me, I might not let it go, or similarly if it was detectably closer to my boundary ... say 2m not 4m away compared to the Planning.

If it was inconsequential and I could not see the difference I would probably let it go.

If I thought you were taking the P out of planning I might do something. The last one I asked them to enforce On was.a high density room by room landlord who was ignoring his Planning Conditions and creating parking havoc in a congested area.

Edited by Ferdinand

As alluded to above, unless you have mm measurements all over your planning documents, a few tens of mm aren't even going to be measurable. I've heard from more than one source that planners allow 100mm tolerances.

Also the enforcement notice guy ( he’s been out a few times ) took into account ‘ intent’ . If the builds higher what do I gain ? . Nothing . I can’t stick some dormers in and have a loft room as the head height is way to low . So though higher and not deliberate there’s no benefit too me . I think they are fairly broad minded on slight deviations from plans ....

20 minutes ago, jack said:

As alluded to above, unless you have mm measurements all over your planning documents, a few tens of mm aren't even going to be measurable. I've heard from more than one source that planners allow 100mm tolerances.

I was “off the record” told that 150mm was the accepted “margin of error” for width and depth. As others have said though ridge height can be an entirely different matter. 

9 hours ago, jack said:

Our planning officer told us the same, 100mm tolerance on all dimensions, except the ridge height.  Apparently ridge height is the thing planners get the most complaints about, according to our chap.  We had complaint about ours, and luckily I was able to borrow a Total Station, stick it on the OS datum nail that is conveniently still in the lane by our drive and in the presence of the planning officer demonstrate that we were actually lower than the stipulated ridge height.

It annoyed me a bit that the neighbour that complained had gone directly to the planning officer, as we were bending over backwards to keep that particular neighbour happy, spending a fair bit of extra money to give them what they wanted along our shared boundary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Our planning officer told us the same, 100mm tolerance on all dimensions, except the ridge height.  Apparently ridge height is the thing planners get the most complaints about, according to our chap.  We had complaint about ours, and luckily I was able to borrow a Total Station, stick it on the OS datum nail that is conveniently still in the lane by our drive and in the presence of the planning officer demonstrate that we were actually lower than the stipulated ridge height.

It annoyed me a bit that the neighbour that complained had gone directly to the planning officer, as we were bending over backwards to keep that particular neighbour happy, spending a fair bit of extra money to give them what they wanted along our shared boundary.

Superglue is a right pita to get out of car / door locks. 

Just saying. 

• Like 2

Bit late as always but 25mm is nothing. We often gain 100mm just to make it work bricks. If we were building in 9” blocks we would think of gaining 225mm. As above it’s the ridge that matters. But then again it depends where you measure the ridge from. 

There is a good chance my house is higher than it should be but I forgot to take a picture before I took it down so I just tried my hardest to make it look sensible :ph34r:

Stretch away people !

my neighbours complained on “ dangerous structure “ ( lie ) , “ knocked down wrong wall “ ( only 2 walls both mine ) etc etc etc for years . So when through intent or accidentally it’s a bit wider , or higher then screw them ! . One of our neighbors put a fence up against a public highway ; it was 7ft tall. Regs are 6ft , they had an enforcement officer out . We got to *support* them twice , our current home and our new build . As soon as we are 60cm or so higher they object and we have enforcement guy round !

hypocrits !. So push for a bit more !

:-)

admitedly underground we doubled - but hey neighbor- can’t complain about what you can’t see ?????? 

You can appeal an enforcement notice and the appeal inspector will consider if that extra 30mm is significant in planning terms. Eg would your planning application have been refused at appeal had you added 30mm to your original application? Very unlikely I suspect.

Planners know you are likely to win any appeal but if someone has complained they may feel obliged to act just to satisfy the complaint. In such cases they might hit you with an enforcement notice and at the same time recommend you submit a revised planning application which they are likely to approve. It also give them an excuse to hit you for the application fee.

On 03/02/2018 at 08:34, Russell griffiths said:

Bloody hell you lot are well dodgy 

i was thinking it may creep by 25mm 

we have no dodgy neighbours and the house is barely visible from anywhere. 

Thanks all i will crack on and wait for the proverbial to hit the fan. 

Dodgy? Us?

Perish the thought.

At 30mm I think you should probably be fine. 

Do you need the space to store a sheet of plywood?

B|

• Like 1

ah the real world.

Builds have to work in brick, its silly otherwise.

Plans are normally 1:100, i defy anyone to have eyesight better than 0.5mm reading accuracy or 50mm. Lets ignore the fact paper changes size when damp etc.

If the plot has no building line to follow you arnt going to have a problem if you are in the general area, OS map accuracy is even worse.

What we do is make sure the building line elevation is bang on, as this is the one planning enforcement will pick up on as its only one you can see by eye (same with ridge height). Then make it work in brick or block (if not using brick) in all other planes. Never had a need to go more than 100mm over as the architect would get the pi$$ ripped out of him for a crap design otherwise!

Do same for openings, quarter cuts just look crap you want half bricks.

It's height that is the bugbear for planners really, there is a de minimus tolerance usually circa 100mm on walls but over height tends to make them squeal and if they do 9 times out of 10 there is a neighbour complaint at the back of it.

I have recently celebrated OH getting a win on enforcement for a client....client took a flyer, had built a good metre higher, got an extra habitable level with that extra headroom. Enforcement said roof off building lowered, evil neighbours had complained, happy result (not for neighbour) was eventually arrived at with planners.........we are building to tolerances on our own house he says he doesnt want that hassle at home!