Inspection Camera

Onoff

I went with Bosch.

For those of you that know me, you'll know why. (Deutchland Deutschland Uber Alles)

For me the advantage is that connecting to the computer (even a ChromeBook) , it makes a searchable drive with jpegs and .avi files. The AutoUp function is a really good aid to making sense of what you can see. The camera comes with 4Gb of removable memory, and a simple set of buttons to change the image magnification and the intensity of the LED.

There are lots of YT videos which show you how to use it, and some typically nerdish Germans have made videos where they pimp it to the n'th degree : super long probes and the like.

The batteries can be shop-bought, or taken from any of your 10.8V or 12 Volt power tools (Bosch)

I have tried others, and franky , they drove me mad. Yes Bosch is pricey, but the others I looked at were double the price or more. 

But one simple investigation (this one) justified every single penny spent. 

• 9 months later...
On 02/02/2018 at 10:36, Onoff said:

Hi @Onoff, Did you ever end up getting one of these? Just wondering how you got on. I've had a look on fleabay and there's plenty of cheap ones (camera cable + mobile phone) but no idea whether they'd be any good. Likely to be one-time use only so don't want to fork out big ££.

Anyone else had experience or recommend a unit?

Just need to have a peek up my cladding (4m) so need the actual cable to be semi-rigid otherwise it's just going to flop down as I shove it up the cavity. But something like this may suffice:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-5M-Semi-rigid-Endoscope-6LED-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-for-OTG-Smart-Phone/192502188909?hash=item2cd2064b6d:m:mr8pXFTkONHH1e-Eo7Pf--A:rk:4:pf:0

Edited by oranjeboom

6 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

Hi @Onoff, Did you ever end up getting one of these? Just wondering how you got on. I've had a look on fleabay and there's plenty of cheap ones (camera cable + mobile phone) but no idea whether they'd be any good. Likely to be one-time use only so don't want to fork out big ££.

Just need to have a peek up my cladding (4m) so need the actual cable to be semi-rigid otherwise it's just going to flop down as I shove it up the cavity. But something like this may suffice:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-5M-Semi-rigid-Endoscope-6LED-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-for-OTG-Smart-Phone/192502188909?hash=item2cd2064b6d:m:mr8pXFTkONHH1e-Eo7Pf--A:rk:4:pf:0

No. Just got a Snake Scope that I use on the Linux laptop.

1 hour ago, oranjeboom said:

Tape it to a bit of twin and earth and will stay fairly straight 

8 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

Okay, bought myself a cheap one with 'semi-rigid' cable. Will see how I get on. I may be adding to my collection of one-time use only items with cable rods...

Funnily enough I've just bought a cheap semi-rigid one for a single-use application.  We're having blinds fitted to our big gable windows and I need to get a thin SELV power lead to where the blind rail will fit.  We have a 50mm service void that runs behind the plasterboard right to where I need the cable to come out, and very luckily that's accessible from our under-eaves storage area, which already has a power outlet and room for the blind power supply unit to fit.

What I need to do is take a look in this void to find the easiest way to run a bit of flexible cable conduit through it.  I could try blindly fishing around with the flexible cable puller, but I'm sure it will be a lot easier if I can see what's going on in there as I do it.