Bevel edge tiles

Crofter

In her infinite wisdom, SMBO selected bevel-edged metro tiles throughout. Little did I realise what this would mean when it came to lay them!

I've finished the toilet/shower, thank goodness, and am shortly moving on to the kitchen splashback.

Basic question: what should I do to start off the first row of tiles? I don't have an upstand, by the way.

I think that starting with a whole tile looks a bit odd, because of the bevel. But maybe that's just me. Is it normal to cut off the bevel and start with a slightly smaller tile?

Finally... anybody got any tips for siliconing the edges of these bloody things?

Deffo make it so you start on cuts all the way up the trim, and finish with cuts all the way up. Don't start or finish with a bevel, even more if running into an internal or external corners :S

Dont buy your missus a birthday card, and then when she protests just bring in the bag with all the 13mm off cuts ;)

Siliconing is interesting, so use a colour matched grout and silicone to suit, with less being more.