Kitchen extractor - square or round ducting?

LeanTwo

I'm just looking at the types of integrated kitchen extractor fans as I start to conclude my kitchen extension and I'm trying to find out whether they generally have round ducting requirements or an oblong section.  I've seen converters on the web to go from round to oblong but it would be helpful to know what manufacturers generally start with on the appliance.  I'm running the ducting along the top of the wall cupboards so want something that looks neat.

Go for the larger rectangular section over the units, and you'll need to see the extractor of choice to ascertain the remainder of the components to covert accordingly. 

The bigger the better and don't go for the 100mm as it'll be quite a choke to the airflow with a few bends etc in the run. 

The noise difference when there's the larger size duct fitted is quite significant eg quieter running at full speed. 

Edited by Nickfromwales

Thanks for your reply Nickfromwales.  Useful advice and I'm checking out round to oblong/square converters now.  The extractor I have in mind has a round outlet. The converters seem to be available but it's just a matter of finding the right sizes.

... we've got a TLC Direct about 25 miles away but at £3.60 for a next day delivery, I'd probably get it delivered and save my fuel. Over £50 it's free!  I had a poke around on their website and the prices are good plus they do loads of other things, including lighting.  Wish I'd known about them before.  Thanks for the tip.

• 6 months later...

When I fitted my current extractor I was surprised that 150mm round (or rectangular equivalent 220mm x 90mm) was the recommended size for most if not all modern extractors.

Compare make a very good duct (round or rectangular)  that has got vanes in the bends to direct the airflow and thus reduce noise and turbulence.  As Nick from Wales has said, rigid ducting in straight runs with as less bends as possible, is what you need to aim for - things like multi slat wall vents can also effect noise and extraction rates, and definitely try to avoid using the flexible stuff, each little ridge creates turbulence which means more noise and less extraction.

On my nw extractor I will be using the products below:

Naber wall vents with triple draught flaps, they also make ducting (might be affiliated with Compare).

https://www.naber.de/ventilation-technology/flow-150/thermobox-150/

Compare Ducting

http://www.compairducting.co.uk/

Edited by wozza