Hey from Essex... xx

Yzzy

22 minutes ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

Ahhh this is good news!!! So the cracking could just be the lath coming away from the plaster? That can be fixed yes? Should I rip the wallpapery stuff off the ceiling or will that just feck the whole thing up?

Erm...possibly NOT good news. It's the plaster comes away from the laths. A bit about it here:

http://www.peterbarry.co.uk/blog/the-perils-of-lath-and-plaster-ceilings/

@nod will be along shortly I imagine ref plaster related things!

@Vision Of Heaven

1 - Woodworm .. woodwormed stuff ends up feeling very rough inside and as dry as dust and crumbles to a pile of dust.

But we really need a close up photo.

2 - Lath and plaster.

If the plaster is sagging or loose it means that the nibs have broken off, where it is supported by plaster pushed between the laths.

The answer is plasterboard over, or take it down and patch or start again. You need a plaster that binds together as if it had horsehair in it. 100g of horsehair will do about 4 sqm according to suppliers.

You need to think what you are doing with your cornices ... quite cheap to replace but you may have views about original features. I would replace with something as close as possible,

3 - I am assuming it is not listed.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

@Vision Of Heaven

1 - Woodworm .. woodwormed stuff ends up feeling very rough inside and as dry as dust and crumbles to a pile of dust.

But we really need a close up photo.

Will do later or tomorrow. Do videos work on here? 

2 - Lath and plaster.

If the plaster is sagging or loose it means that the nibs have broken off, where it is supported by plaster pushed between the laths.

The answer is plasterboard over, or take it down and patch or start again.

I'll take a peek next time I am there and take photos.

You need to think what you are doing with your cornices ... quite cheap to replace but you may have views about original features. I would replace with something as close as possible,

I'd like to keep original as possible not only because it's what belongs in the house but also it's less £ spent on replacing.

3 - I am assuming it is not listed.

I can't find any evidence of it being listed or on the places of architectural interest list locally. I spoke to the EPO a few weeks ago and he didn't mention anything about it being listed, just kept asking when it would be occupied. 

Ferdinand

15 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you have more lightweight rubbish get a 12yd skip better price ratio than more 8yd ones. 

Someone said it was better / cheaper to dump everything outside and get a grabber in.... I have several issues with this:

1) All my crap on display for x days

2) All my crap blowing about

3) Do they clean up after? Once the skip has gone it's gone but I can't imagine a grabber cleaning up the drive?

But yes, after we discovered how fast we can fill an 8yd skip we both agreed a bigger skip was needed.... still have 1 and a half rooms to empty downstairs! 

3 minutes ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

Someone said it was better / cheaper to dump everything outside and get a grabber in.... I have several issues with this:

3) Do they clean up after? Once the skip has gone it's gone but I can't imagine a grabber cleaning up the drive?

But yes, after we discovered how fast we can fill an 8yd skip we both agreed a bigger skip was needed.... still have 1 and a half rooms to empty downstairs! 

If you have a digger you can push it down, or perhaps there is some clean stuff you can burn?

Sometimes repair is much more than replace. Always need to run the numbers.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Do you have ivy to deal with and clear?

The easy way is to cut 6 inches out of the main stem and leave it for a year.

yes that's our ivy, I've cut that cow down about 7 times over the years!! That's another job for this month, before it REALLY starts growing! The other side of that garage there is a climbing rose that is just as big and also in need of taming and training along the wall rather than all over the garage. The garage on the other side of the house is clear of growing monsters but both garages have leaks... grrrrr.... flat roofs SUCK.

Today I ave been learning about our two huge 1860/70 fireplaces and I am in SO MUCH LOVE......

One is Italian white statuary Marble the other is Irish Black Killkenny Fossil marble and one has Minton / Moyr Smith Shakespeare painted tiles in it and I am in love... oops did I already say that..

Tomorrow I am going to spend Valentines with my new loves.... :x

• Like 1

On 12/02/2018 at 08:51, Vision Of Heaven said:

My builder has used a grabber for my land clearance.  £180 for an 18 ton removal.  The grabber can also pack things down on the lorry.  Depending on the price saving might it be worth getting a big roll of something (maybe weed suppressing fabric but there is possibly a better solution) to cover and prevent the visual and wind powered sharing.  Could always finish with a skip at the end

• Like 1

If you are messing .. literally .. around with plaster, or anything else, we (me plus handyman) tend to lay building polythene or similar over the floor. Just for ease of sweeping / clearing up.

We use one or other of the wide versions from Wickes, sometimes even the heavy duty weed membrane. All are occasionally on 3 for 2 or cheap anyway.

• Like 1

oops... no, we don't do Valentines as it's our wedding anniversary on St Patricks day and we go mad then...

ok so here is a short video of the skirting board crumble..... pleassseeeeeeeeee let it not be bad.

The rest of the skirting is good and solid.... that part was behind a large wall unit since about 1980 so it may just be sweaty room syndrome lol

oh no! Can't add video.... do I need special permission? 

Can add a photo though....

skirting video.jpg

The rest of the day (9am-2) I emptied very very full kitchen cupboards on the south end of the kicthen and ripped them out.... SO much fun waving an axe about. At one point a wall unit crashed to the ground and I shouted out.. "Mum! Dad! I think I broke the kitchen!!" hahahahaha.... yes!

Tomorrow I smashe the bejoobas out of what you can see that's left......

14th 1.jpg

14th 2.jpg

Edited by Vision Of Heaven

12 minutes ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

oops... no, we don't do Valentines as it's our wedding anniversary on St Patricks day and we go mad then...

ok so here is a short video of the skirting board crumble..... pleassseeeeeeeeee let it not be bad.

The rest of the skirting is good and solid.... that part was behind a large wall unit since about 1980 so it may just be sweaty room syndrome lol

oh no! Can't add video.... do I need special permission? 

Can add a photo though....

skirting video.jpg

I use Flickr for my photos and videos.

https://www.flickr.com

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Sympathy.

I only ever had one really bad experience with a tenant, and the house was left like that.

OMG if that was someone I didn't know I'd be LIVID!!!! It's upsetting but I am trying to block it out and just knuckle down and do....

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Reminds of my first doer upper, had mushrooms growing in the carpet. Took my 11 year old son with me to cut the carpet up to dispose of it, he has never forgotten the experience although I do remind him of it when I visit him at Uni!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Reminds of my first doer upper, had mushrooms growing in the carpet. Took my 11 year old son with me to cut the carpet up to dispose of it, he has never forgotten the experience although I do remind him of it when I visit him at Uni!!

If the damp problem around my boys uni flat window gets any worse he'll have his own shrooms! I might rip out the silicon and redo with some anti mould stuff. 

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Faffing poo farts that took far too long to sort out!!! (and I'm a web bloody designer!!!)

Hearding bloody pandas? wtf

lol

ok here's the video... (I hope)

SKIRTING CRUMBLE

Edited by Vision Of Heaven
  • Haha 1