Hey from Essex... xx

Yzzy

Thanks everyone. 

Our local tip has a no pedestrian policy due to H&S.... Otherwise I bloomin would! 

Started pulling down one of the bedroom lath & plaster ceilings this weekend. Did most of the laths yesterday and OH MY WORD.... the amount of pigeon poop coming down is grim! But, the good news is it isn't on much of the woodwork up there so.... the plan is to take down all the ceilings upstairs one by one, get on some tall ladders/platforms and fumigate/clean the wood in the attic and then slap new ceilings up and insulate as we go.

It's a vile job though and we are also now left with bags and bags of plaster we need to get to the tip. The laths will be burned this week (and some of the fig) and the polystyrene tiles are finally gone! Well from one room anyway.

Any ideas what's the best thing to do with a really good condition original tiled Art Deco fireplace? 

It isn't wanted in the bedroom it is in but I have no idea how to remove it safely without damaging it and we've decided to leave it there for now and work around it.... but would like to sell it. Should I Gumtree it or does anyone have any experience in contacting an expert? 

deco fire.jpg

39 minutes ago, Yzzy said:

Any ideas what's the best thing to do with a really good condition original tiled Art Deco fireplace? 

It isn't wanted in the bedroom it is in but I have no idea how to remove it safely without damaging it and we've decided to leave it there for now and work around it.... but would like to sell it. Should I Gumtree it or does anyone have any experience in contacting an expert? 

deco fire.jpg

Ring an architectural salvage place and get them to come and take it out ..!!! That’s probably worth £4-500 as a minimum, in bits it’s worth nothing ... let the experts do it. 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2018 at 21:19, TheMitchells said:

just wanted to say that I have fianlly caught up on your posts and I am impressed by the work you have done. The house looks great and I am looking forward to seeing the improvements develop.  Great work!  :)

Me too. This has been a bit of a journey hasn't it !!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

When you say £3k fitted, what are they doing for that? Its a big house so I doubt you'll get away with a combi?

The 2 bathrooms are above the kitchen in the NW corner of the house, the boiler will be in the main bathroom... then central heating pipes around the whole house. That's what the chap guestimated for. 

13 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

@Yzzy,  use the lath to start the fire, it burns fiercely, i had a pile about 4' high from our first house and the flames were about 12' high and you couldn't get near it.  certainly get the figs going

Yes, someone else said this..... I'm a bit dubious about starting a fire though as we ave no running water, we currently ferry 2l bottles of water back and forth refilling in our home and taking to the house lol

21 hours ago, PeterW said:

Ring an architectural salvage place and get them to come and take it out ..!!! That’s probably worth £4-500 as a minimum, in bits it’s worth nothing ... let the experts do it. 

Really!?

Woah... ok will contact one and report back if it's as good news as that!

46 minutes ago, Yzzy said:

The 2 bathrooms are above the kitchen in the NW corner of the house, the boiler will be in the main bathroom... then central heating pipes around the whole house. That's what the chap guestimated for. 

£3k for that supply and fit is a great price. Was that to the existing rads or new ? Details please! 

What boiler and how many kW? Will need to be a decent unit to give enough hot water for that size property. 

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

£3k for that supply and fit is a great price. Was that to the existing rads or new ? Details please! 

What boiler and how many kW? Will need to be a decent unit to give enough hot water for that size property. 

No central heating at all in the house,  ok hubby says it was just for the boiler and fitting of it. The CH pipes will be laid by someone else. No idea what boiler it is sorry... not agreed to anything yet. Will be more specific once I get actual quotes through. 

2 hours ago, Yzzy said:

Yes, someone else said this..... I'm a bit dubious about starting a fire though as we ave no running water, we currently ferry 2l bottles of water back and forth refilling in our home and taking to the house lol

Go get an incinerator bin - that will control the size of the fire and makes it easier to control

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yzzy said:

No central heating at all in the house,  ok hubby says it was just for the boiler and fitting of it.

Well that just became very expensive ..!!

If no gas work to do - ie in the same place as existing or above the gas meter then there isn’t that much to do other than core for the flue and connect pipe and controls. 

@Nickfromwales thoughts ..?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Go get an incinerator bin - that will control the size of the fire and makes it easier to control

Got one! Still scared... will grow some balls and give it a go.... ha ha

59 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Well that just became very expensive ..!!

If no gas work to do - ie in the same place as existing or above the gas meter then there isn’t that much to do other than core for the flue and connect pipe and controls. 

@Nickfromwales thoughts ..?

Spoken to Nick... once we have the quote I will run it past him.... or have him kidnapped and brought to Southend!!! 

44 minutes ago, Yzzy said:

No way!!! He's like a bloody real life superhero or something! 

:ph34r:

Yep he just wears his pants (or yours when you’re out) over his trousers and his coat like a cape .... 

His real superpower is making things disappear .... like bacon sandwiches, tunnocks tea cakes, beer.....

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Yep he just wears his pants (or yours when you’re out) over his trousers and his coat like a cape .... 

His real superpower is making things disappear .... like bacon sandwiches, tunnocks tea cakes, beer.....

Luckily we can provide all of those... hope he doesn't mind my pants? 

k.jpg

• Haha 1

Popped in for a quick 2 hour work at the house, short shift today...... 

Our method for ceiling removal is:

1) Polystirene tiles off
2) Plaster off
3) Laths off

4) anything left brought down...

Well in this room (our first to do) there was apparently a hole in the roof so Mother had some plastic sheeting put in the attic to catch drips while she waited for roofers to come fix it... (why the person couldn't slide a slate in while he was up there I dont know!!)... anyway, it means that over the last 3 - 4 years it has collected pigeon shite and it is now hanging in long intestine shaped hammocks all over the ceiling. So we stopped pulling down laths to slice along the sausage skins of poopness and let some of the crap, old clothes and bloody big slates fall down. 

Hence quitting after a couple of hours as the dust was so bad we could taste it even through our masks....

laths.jpg

pigeon poop in hammocks.jpg

• Sad 1

Pulling down old ceilings, the worse job ever.

My last renovation had been a farm store at some point in its life, the ground floor ceiling was full of soil as the first floor had been a root veg store, the first floor ceiling was full of grain husks as the top floor had been the grain store.  

We we decided to pull the whole lot down in one go, we suited up in white disposable overall with elasticed wrists, ankles and hood. We wore full face respirators. We had the windows open and the dust was billowing out making it look like the placec as on fire!

• Like 1