fiberglass or lead ?

Bryera

Well new year my lead valley started to leek and water has started to come In so I cannot afford to pay someone or have time to do it myself so going through the insurance so I have sent my quotes off to them and they have picked the roofer that will do it in fiberglass and he is charging £1260 to do both valleys is that a good price and is there any down falls with having fiberglass instead of lead?

I would have preferred the lead myself but how reliable is fiberglass and how long will it last before it needs redoing? And why have the insurance favoured fiberglass?  

Thanks

Adam

Welcome...

I take it the valleys are huge then..??!! They will be saying fibreglass as its cheap, but unless I've missed something they are paying a lot for two valleys !

Roofer is £300 for a 2 guy team round here, 2 days all done to strip and re-lead a pair of valleys. Assuming 450mm lead you are talking £120 or so of lead on a pair of 5m valleys

So about half the price quoted O.o

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Welcome...

I take it the valleys are huge then..??!! They will be saying fibreglass as its cheap, but unless I've missed something they are paying a lot for two valleys !

Roofer is £300 for a 2 guy team round here, 2 days all done to strip and re-lead a pair of valleys. Assuming 450mm lead you are talking £120 or so of lead on a pair of 5m valleys

So about half the price quoted O.o

You seem to have forgotten the scaffold 

also a company approved to carry out insurance work has overheads, you may get two roofers for £300 but who pays there pension, insurance, supplies the van, etc etc. 

We pay lads £150 a day but a two man team in a van is £625 +vat per day. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bryera said:

Well new year my lead valley started to leek and water has started to come In so I cannot afford to pay someone or have time to do it myself so going through the insurance so I have sent my quotes off to them and they have picked the roofer that will do it in fiberglass and he is charging £1260 to do both valleys is that a good price and is there any down falls with having fiberglass instead of lead?

I would have preferred the lead myself but how reliable is fiberglass and how long will it last before it needs redoing? And why have the insurance favoured fiberglass?  

Thanks

Adam

Would consider yourself lucky insurers are paying, usually considered a wear and tear item, so not covered.  We have had to replace a number of valleys at our own cost.

• Thanks 1

so the only diffrence is price ? the only thing i am worried about is is it going to last and what are its disadvantage ? from what i have read a lot of the new house have them now anyway ?

And yer i am lucky but new year we had a bad storm and few slates fell off and did something to lead

Edited by Bryera

Glass fibre (Fibreglass is a trade name) if done correctly.  If done incorrectly it will be a disaster, but you will know that very early on.

It is fairly easy to work out what it costs.  Find the area costs i.e 3 layers of 450gm/m2, 2.7 kg of lay-up resin, 0.7 kg of flowcoat/top coat will costs about £11/m2.

Multiply it by 4, round it up, so £50/m2.

Then add on the VAT , so £60/m2, and any extra costs like scaffolding.

Make sure they do it when everything is bone dry, not a drop of moisture.  Should be a warm day as well, but preferably not sunny.

I did some on my parents house nearly 30 years ago, it is still there.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Glass fibre (Fibreglass is a trade name) if done correctly.  If done incorrectly it will be a disaster, but you will know that very early on.

It is fairly easy to work out what it costs.  Find the area costs i.e 3 layers of 450gm/m2, 2.7 kg of lay-up resin, 0.7 kg of flowcoat/top coat will costs about £11/m2.

Multiply it by 4, round it up, so £50/m2.

Then add on the VAT , so £60/m2, and any extra costs like scaffolding.

Make sure they do it when everything is bone dry, not a drop of moisture.  Should be a warm day as well, but preferably not sunny.

I did some on my parents house nearly 30 years ago, it is still there.

Chances are they will use preformed ones like these 

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/dfvt72-dry-roofing-valley-trough.html

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Chances are they will use preformed ones like these 

Nice design that, and a reasonable price.

But this intrigued me:

" FILON’s V-Flow DF valley troughs and accessories are fully recyclable at end of life. "

Would like to know how they are doing it.  It has been a problem with normal GRP because of the low costs and flammability.

I did experiments in the early 90's, but was not worth the effort.  Things change though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

You seem to have forgotten the scaffold 

also a company approved to carry out insurance work has overheads, you may get two roofers for £300 but who pays there pension, insurance, supplies the van, etc etc. 

We pay lads £150 a day but a two man team in a van is £625 +vat per day. 

Can I be in the van team!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bryera said:

Thanks

Adam

Quick answer would be that fibreglass is much cheaper 

Lead for my two valleys was £500 

Fibreglass would have been 

less than a hundred

sure it may not be as good as lead

But nearly all the major house builders use it

The quote seems ok to me

Couple of days work for two men 

If it doesn’t P down 

Also They will have to hire or erect there own scaffold Asvits not a job that can be done safely off ladders

• Thanks 1

cromopol fibreglass compound they have siad they are using thank you for all the feed back guys just wanted to know as much about it before they fit something to my house it's so hard to get a decent workmen that you can trust nower days been tried to be a fool of when I got bath room done but have some knowledge of building so stoped him.

Edited by Bryera

Well I just ask if he would be removing the lead and he siad no we be doing it straight onto the lead so we do not have to strip the roof this dose not sound right to me I did have another for £500 to do both lead Valleys  in lead but sounded cheap to me but thinking of going with that now 

Edited by Bryera

12 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Only difference really is the local caravan folk  have a liking for lead but fibreglass is worthless to them. Both will keep out the rain if done properly.

Exactly 

A nervous three weeks till I took the scaffold down 

• Thanks 1

They have to strip the lead. Lead expands and contracts at different rates to fiberglass. It will fail.

I've put in three valley's which were 65 meters long in fiberglass on a large project on the edge of the Atlantic with crazy exposed winds. Massive saving to lead and a much better job. You can have the fiberglass extend up under the last few rows of tiles or slates. Original lead roof leaked although it was very old and the downpipes and leaves weren't cleaned I'd say. The problem I had was it was a bad winter when roof works were ongoing. Needed good dry weather to do the fiberglass so it wasn't done until early April. The surface you fix to (in our case marine ply on battens to a fall) had to be very dry. Delayed the programme a bit.

• Thanks 1

Hay guys ones again thank you for your help I just rang the guy that has siad he will do it in lead and quoted me £500 But he will be taking old out striping roof and buying something call lead ax would that be a better way to go ???

Edited by Bryera

Hay guys ones again thank you for your help I just rang the guy that has siad he will do it in lead and quoted me £500 But he will be taking old out striping roof and buying something call lead axe would that be a better way to go ???

Lead ex looking up says has same quality as a 4 / 5 code lead that right ?

Hay stearmyTea Would say over 40 years from what I gather from neighbour and dose not look the best I not gone with the guy that will fiberglass just sounds like it hiding the problem after looking at this lead ax it looks a better one for cost and me and he doing it properly and removing the slate then laying it and so on 

Any one know about lead ax any info would be helpful I like to know what's going on is any good ?