Cheaper, temporary alternatives

SteamyTea

I often read on here about people getting unexpected costs added to their build.

So this got me thinking.

If you are planning that family kitchen so that you can enjoy real food cooked at home.  You could live for a while with a free standing kitchen.  You can even make one yourself.

Similar in a bathroom.  No need to have the perfect suit, with matching cabinets and electrically heated floors and mirrors.  You can live with a really cheap one for a while, most of the main plumbing will be the same.  Stick in an oversized towel rail for a bit of heating.

Windows are another one.  Get the very cheapest that will pass the building regs, then when life is better, put those posh, triple glazed, self tinting ones in.

Doors the same, both internal and external.

Cheap carpet on the floor, then when you have got the other messy bit upgraded, put the floor of your choice down.

Now some of this will take a bit of forward planning but really not that difficult I would have thought.

What else could be used until finances recover?

Edited by SteamyTea

28 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

[...]

Now some of this will take a bit of forward planning but really not that difficult I would have thought.

What else could be used until finances recover?

I spend quite a bit of time planning to put important infrastructure bits and pieces in ready for future expenditure, as well as practising sensible levels of mean-ness thus;

• unused (blind) piles in the ground  for an eventual extension (cost £120 instead of a several  thousand)
  • MVHR ducting in the ceiling but no MVHR unit for the first year until I have calculated how much heat the house really needs
  • We'd love a Geberit loo (well 2 really)  The (isolated)  electricity supply for their control system will be in the services void ready for when we can afford them. Until then......
  • Supply to an eventual car charging point  put in, but blanked off at the CU
  • recycling as many 8mm roofing screws as I can (and other screws if I think of it at the time)
  • recycling as much wood as I can - de-nailing de-screwing (when I  have the courage)
  • planning not to have carpets  (but I bet we end up with rugs)
  • where possible recycling stone found on site 

3 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

We'd love a Geberit loo

Are they the ones where the gubbins is hidden in the wall and the pan seems to float (ish).

Are you putting any wall strengthening in at the start, with a fake panel to hang the cheap crapper from?

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Are they the ones where the gubbins is hidden in the wall and the pan seems to float (ish).

Are you putting any wall strengthening in at the start, with a fake panel to hang the cheap crapper from?

Geberit...electric...must mean the Aquaclean? Handy if your hands are a bit knackered...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 18:45, SteamyTea said:

If you are planning that family kitchen so that you can enjoy real food cooked at home.  You could live for a while with a free standing kitchen. 

Yup we are planning such a kitchen, I call it the Sam-Cam look.

A few years back a TV crew showed Samantha Cameron in her kitchen which had a distinctive style that was the antithesis of a modern fitted kitchen, it featured mix & match and irregular heights. If its good enough good the PM's wife...

At the very start of this process, the sage advice from our architect was to spend our money on fabric first. So, windows, outside cladding, frame and foundations. We've done this, and although we're having to scrimp on finishes, I feel much more secure knowing that the "bones" of the building are solid and the best quality we could afford. It's straightforward (although time consuming) to save money on fixtures and things - we've sourced a huge amount from gumtree and ebay, probably running into thousands saved so far.