Electric Shock

Hecateh

On 23/03/2018 at 19:11, PeterStarck said:

The subject of cost per m2 is something I have commented on before on here. How is the area calculated, presumably external area, but does it include balconies, verandahs or garages? What about integrated garages? How are costs calculated, do they include all the paperwork, professional fees and testing. If the work has been done by the owner has the cost of tools been included, and has the VAT refund been included? The cost of ours is difficult to calculate in order to compare costs. When we did our budgeting we were naive and just used a costs estimator at the back of a building magazine. We are pretty close to our budget but can't yet work out accurately a cost/m2.

The figures of £2,100 per m2 for the current build was based on gross internal area - just measuring from the inner face of the external walls.  It includes internal walls, stairwell etc. , excludes party walls, includes all fees, ex. VAT, some small tools.  Excludes balconies and terraces.  WRT detached garages, I would tend to exclude these from both area and cost but include if they are fully integrated.

Ours was high because we had 25m piled foundations, extensive river wall works, contamination remediation / reports and high quality finishes.

@newhome building for £750 per m2 seems astounding outside of a Third World country.  Fifteen years ago I think we did some for about £900.  We are in the South East though and any trade wants at least £130 per day, many over £200.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

@newhome building for £750 per m2 seems astounding outside of a Third World country.  Fifteen years ago I think we did some for about £900.  We are in the South East though and any trade wants at least £130 per day, many over £200.

I think that’s probably reflective of how much of the work my hubby did which clearly was free to us. The costs for other trades varied hugely, and the ones that were more expensive were definitely not always the best. Skill level varied enormously from fantastic to bloody hopeless and everything else in between. 

22 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

We are in the South East though and any trade wants at least £130 per day, many over £200.

I just assumed £200 a day and was thankful whenever it was less!

3 hours ago, jack said:

I just assumed £200 a day and was thankful whenever it was less!

Paid between £60 and £200 on my build although plumbers were generally a bit more than that. 

• 1 month later...

)(*^)*&^)&^ neighbours.  The electricity guys have gone through a cable and cut the neighbours off.  10.30 this morning and still not restored.  My neighbour is blaming me FFS. 

I'm not cut off because my supply comes from the other side.  Do you think I should treat them to my music at full blast lol

3 hours ago, Hecateh said:

unfortunately they are across the road - I'd go and offer a kettle of hot water but I just get whinged at all the time.

Tell them to Fack off.They've been less than excellent, but if they wanted to build or extend they'd be the kind of folk who would expect you to put up and shut up. Crank up the drum & bass ( google it lol ) and leave your lights on all night whilst shouting loudly every 15 mins "Damn its too bright in here!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Because they went through a cable they had to stop work.  My electricity is not now on site as promised.  Luckily I had not arranged meter fitting as I just had a bad feeling about it.  The work has to be reschedule for another Sunday.  He doesn't think he can get it done this Sunday as it is Bank Holiday.  So it will be another fortnight before I get power on site.  

At least there is no extra cost to me.  

• 3 weeks later...