divorcingjack

Ballpark cost for single skin reclaimed bricks

Morning all, 

Finally, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the zinc portion of our cladding nearly complete, so we can now think seriously about the brick portion. Our architect has specified a painted, bag rubbed finish, using reclaimed bricks - so it doesn't look "too perfect". The approx 120 sqm cladding is going on the outside of an MBC frame, just single skin, nothing too complicated. Zinc infill panels above windows. 

So, two questions: 

- What should I expect to be paying (scotland) either for the whole job or on an daily rate? We are supplying the bricks - probably reclaimed Victorian

- Do I need to think about thermally efficient wall ties/fixings? If so, what should I be looking at? 

Cheers for any help, 

dj 

32 minutes ago, divorcingjack said:

- Do I need to think about thermally efficient wall ties/fixings? If so, what should I be looking at? 

Normally the cavity between the timber frame and any external weather skin such as your brickwork should be ventilated top & bottom of the wall so I don't see the point in paying for thermally efficient wall ties. The standard SS ones will do.

• Thanks 1

If their to be painted then why the need for reclaims? 

There’s an imitation London Stock down here (brand new & much cheaper) that I’ve had the misfortune to have supplied to me by builders. If it’s imperfections you’re after...Jeez,the back of a brick on edge capping I did looked like a piano keyboard,that much variation in length. 

So Id guess your merchants up your way would do a cheap imitation of the local bricks too. 

If it were me,I’d be tempted to get brand new common flettons & give them a spin in the mixer for a minute before use,to rough them up a bit. Not really practical if you’ve got a big volume to lay though. 

• Thanks 1

Just an update on this post for all those sourcing bricks at the minute (although it may apply only to Scotland). I spoke to a few reps and the "reclaimed style" of new bricks are horrifically expensive (approaching £1/brick or more), have to be specially ordered from outside the country and because we're not taking a full load - none of the merchants will order them for us anyway!

I was also warned that because so many social housing projects are ordering millions of bricks at a time, lead times at the moment are STARTING at 26 weeks. So, I drove 10 minutes up the road to a demolition guy and picked up some sample reclaims. They weigh a ton, but the contractor says they're solid and shouldn't give us any problems. We'll see what the guy who has to lay them has to say ... 

On 1/31/2018 at 13:51, Brickie said:

If it were me,I’d be tempted to get brand new common flettons & give them a spin in the mixer for a minute before use,to rough them up a bit. Not really practical if you’ve got a big volume to lay though. 

Sounds a great idea, but we've got 7000 to lay. Reckon we'd go through a few mixers by the end of that! The reclaims I've found are coming out cheaper than new anyway, hopefully the brickie will agree to lay them. 

I did the same - got Cottage reclaim blend from TP at £465/Thou and got my bricky on them at £500/thou laid. They were a bit of a mare as it was +/-15mm on pretty much every dimension but they look good now they are done. 

We reckon we nearly broke the hiab on the wagon as they could barely pick them up - guessing they were 3lb each on some of them !

• Like 1